1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #22

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, Apr 8, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Salutations, and welcome to the 22nd issue of Vector Squared. Last week we covered the flaming hot flamethrowers, a possible music contest, and some speculation regarding the pre-order. In yet another interesting week, we manage to cover topics such as the anticipated Beta Roadmap, several April Fool’s pranks, the third character creator easter egg, and a living, moving planet.

Get ready to delve into another interesting week’s worth of Chucklefish news.

Table of Contents
    Beta Roadmap -- Released
    Chucklefish has recently unveiled their Beta Roadmap, much to the joy and happiness of all the Starbounders. This piece of work is stunning to look at, “pixel perfect” as Starbound subreddit user CornishCucumber has said. The graphics are charming, the progress bars informative, and every aspect has a description. The staff thanked “Tramsan, Affero and our secret helper elf” for their assistance in making this map. Hmm...

[​IMG]

The roadmap shows the progress of the core features of the game, such as world generation, quests, NPCs, items, server-related stuff, and a whole mess more. The information presented in the roadmap can take up a whole issue’s worth of articles. Expect us to do some follow-up articles regarding further developments or community threads regarding it.

The roadmap is receiving a very positive reaction from the community, with members saying that it was well worth the wait. To put it succinctly, allow us to quote the words of CornishCucumber, a member of the Starbound subreddit.

It’s also important to note that the percentages on the roadmap may be subjective and not exactly “accurate”. There are a few threads regarding how far it’s in development by means of the percentages shown, but more work may have been put into different things, along with the individual circumstances of the item discussed, so we must keep that measure in mind ;)

Keep your eye out for further updates; the admin panel suggests that there will be changes in the future. I would write more, but I should stop rambling on :rofl:

So I’ll leave you with shardival’s view on the release date:
    [​IMG]

~Nababoo

Starbound Weapon Sounds: Sven’s Prank on Chucklefish
    There are no words to describe how cosmically fantastic the following sounds are. Get ready for the greatest thing your ears will ever experience. Ladies and spobos, brought to us by Sven, one of Starbound’s contributors, I share with thee:

Starbound Weapon Sounds

Pew! Pew! To those who aren’t aware of it, rest assured that these sounds are merely an April Fools’ day prank played on the Chucklefish crew by Sven himself! He assures us in his blog that work of a much higher quality has been produced, though, unfortunately, we do not have access to that at the moment.

Anyways, besides the fake, yet awe-inspiring, sounds, a couple of interesting things may be perceived in that video, such as the flamethrower in use. I have to admit that I’m glad with its current range, as I was under the impression it’d be shorter. We’re also able to see the player destroying the shuttle’s inner-lights, with the place darkening immediately after. Nice touch.

It’s quite pleasant to gaze upon in-game data, and I believe I speak in the name of most of us when I say that we’re looking forward to the next tidbit of Starbound info! Keep up the good work, guys!

By: Keeper

Fools. More specifically, ones in April.
    You may have noticed some unusual changes to the forums for April Fools. Like the fact that everyone temporarily held the title of Supreme Overlord. There was also a rather interesting new section of the forums (located somewhere in the Twilight Zone, behind the Scary Door) called Supreme Overlords. Coincidence? I think not. But in any case, this new section contained lively discussions by the eponymous Supreme Overlords and other anonymous users in the Admin, Dev and Mod sub-sections. Many of these were obviously April Fools-related, and regarded banning users, false game details and something about a princess (I’m still trying to figure who she is. I suspect she’s in another thread).

Other websites and companies were on-board for the April Fools festivities. Google announced its new smell-based browser called Google Nose, while YouTube admitted it was actually just a talent search and was shutting down in order to process the participants over the next decade. Twitter announced Twttr, a service that limited message to consonants, with users having to pay for the vowel-including Twitter service. There was also a new “treasure map” mode in Google Maps with an “underwater street view”. Kickstarter campaigns for 90’s TV shows such as Wings and Family Matters were also made, but were in fact links to various charities. All in all, April Fools seemed to be a fun event for everyone, though I’m kinda going to miss some of those threads…

[​IMG]

By: Jonesy

Character Creator Easter Eggs
    For a while now there have been no new advances on the scientific front that is the Character Generator Easter Eggs, until now. A few days ago our skilled scientists from this thread uncovered a secret hidden within the newly released Roadmap, mainly a clue hidden in the names of the constellations in the background. By adding together the first letter of their names, you would get the word “MasterApe”. Throwing that into the char gen gave you this:

[​IMG]

Who is this heavily armored ape? A soldier? The full body armor suggests so. Also note the fancy visor, maybe some type of field scientist, or an infiltrator? Many questions arise around this mysterious character, but one thing is certain, he is here to remind us of one thing:

“Big Ape is all-seeing!”

Obey, my friends. Bow down to the Great Ape.

- WackyWocky

Suggestion Spotlight
    Forum user burthstone has recently “thrown out an idea”. This is a spin on the very well-known concept of a “living planet”.

The idea of a massive organism on the scales of planets has endured with the science fiction community for years, and burthstone elaborates on the idea. The beast will look like one of those turtles from Greek mythology, with a planet on the back. The actual planet will be absolutely anarchy-like, with natural disasters happening everywhere and destruction raining down like peanuts in a storm.

The largest difference between this and other suggestions, however, is the fact that the planet actually migrates between systems and needs some sort of tracking system to mark its location.

Certainly mod-worthy (and can you imagine what would happen if your ship were to crash into it...)

~Nababoo

Science Trivia
    Earth's Magnetic Field

Hello, this is harnackam with this week's Science Trivia. We will be discussing Earth's magnetic field and how it keeps you alive.

Earth has a large magnetic field that extends from the inner core to space where it meets the solar winds.
    The solar winds are the huge amount of highly energetic particles that are constantly being emitted by the sun.
    Earth's magnetic field is created by the innumerable tons of molten iron alloys spinning in the outer core.
    The magnetosphere is where the magnetic field meets the solar winds and deflects them into the Van Allen belt.
    If the solar winds were not deflected they would blow away the atmosphere like a leafblower to a dandelion.

Fun fact: A small percentage of the solar winds reach the north pole creating the dazzling light shows called the Aurora Borealis.

~harnackam

Weekly Comic
    [​IMG]

Question of the Week
    Q: What’s your favorite roadmap easter egg?
    A: We’ll see the tortuous minds of all you readers.

Closing Comments
    • Welcome harnackam to our staff! He’ll be in charge of pumping out some more science trivia for all of you to read.
    Staff
    Nababoo -- Manager/Writer
    Keeper -- Wordsmith
    Strife -- ???
    WackyWocky -- Space Banana
    ReverseShadow -- Comic L0lcats
    shardival -- Legend of the Brush
    Jonesy -- He Never Asked For This.
    harnackam -- Science Consultant

Credits
    blind sniper -- Comic

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 [] Issue #12 [] Issue #13 [] Issue #14 [] Issue #15 [] Issue #16 [] Issue #17 [] Issue #18 [] Issue #19 [] Issue #20 [] Issue #21

Blue’s Fanmade Newspaper Archive

Shahab, Mastaf, demanrisu and 20 others like this.
  2. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Amazing issue as always guys. It seems larger this time around maybe it's just my phone

Keeper, WackyWocky and nababoo like this.
  3. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Yep very good issue guy's keep up the good work!

WackyWocky and nababoo like this.
  4. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

The overlord section still exists and can still be accessed if you know how. ;)

WoxandWarf, Jonesy and nababoo like this.
  5. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

drowning molly. also how do you access the overlord section?

nababoo likes this.
  6. harnackam

harnackam Ketchup Robot

Yay it's out! I checked the site first thing in the morning. Now that it's 4am I should really get back to sleep.:p

nababoo likes this.
  7. I don't get the comic o_O

But dat sound effects pfffffff cannot unhear

blind sniper and nababoo like this.
  8. Kirby64

Kirby64 Space Kumquat

Another great issue, brought to the community, thanks to the Vector Squared team.
    Great job, guys!

Keeper, shardival and nababoo like this.
  9. Active Link

Through the magic of bookmarks. Or memorizing the urls.

nababoo and shardival like this.
  10. Ghent

Ghent Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's what she said?

Sorry, sorry, sorry, I just had to. I tried not to, I really did :chrono:

Vesuvia likes this.
  11. "Hey, uh, man... I'll give you fifty cha-chings for that there code you got... thanks, man."

:rofl:

druid, Awesomized and WoxandWarf like this.
  12. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Yeah, but all the threads are locked...

13. Active Link

I don't know, should I just make them available to everyone?

14. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well, then, what's the url?

15. Active Link

Here they are, you can't actually do anything with them.
    Admin
    Mod
    Dev
    I guess the people who missed it could see what transpired that day.

nababoo likes this.
  16. Gotta remember the day a forum game survived...

WoxandWarf likes this.
  17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

So many things...I can't belive a week lasts so much.Good job as always guys.

nababoo and Keeper like this.
  18. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Another awesome issue keep up the great work! :)

nababoo and Keeper like this.
  19. oddly the roadmap doesn't show anything at alll for me ...

20. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Wanna explain what the problem is maybe i can help out in some way? :) It really is worth the effort to see it :p