1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #21

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, Apr 1, 2013.

1. [​IMG]
    Greetings, and welcome to the 21st issue of Vector Squared. Last time we managed to take a look at topics such as Starbound pre-order speculation, the winners of the unofficial Mech contest, and forum downtime. In the 21st issue, we’ll be covering information about Starbound pre-order price, new intel about the game alongside relevant pictures (FIRE!), suggestion for a music contest, among other subjects. Grab a drink, and stick around!

Table of Contents
    Starbound’s Pre-Order Price: How much do you believe is a fair amount?
    With Starbound’s release date drawing closer and closer, Great Tiythulhu found some spare time from his cosmic slumber within the lost city of R’lyeh to present us the following tweet:

[​IMG]

It’s fantastic to see the developers engage the community in such manner, assessing public opinion and trying to accommodate the audience’s needs. Furthermore, according to Blue’s compilation of game information topic, the current estimated price for Starbound floats between $9.99 and $14.99. Having that in mind, since it’s been mentioned by Tiy himself that the pre-order price would likely be lower than the price post-release, it should be safe to assume that one may expect a rather accessible pre-order figure.

Relevant forum user Irrelephant had a quite clever idea when he decided to ferry this pre-order price speculation to a more feasible platform here in the Starbound forums. Irrelephant conceived a topic entitled Preorder Price Vote! where people may select the price they believe is appropriate for pre-ordering Starbound, thus answering Tiy’s request should they not do so through Twitter. So far, ferociously taking the lead is the option called, ‘15.00 Dollar 11.66 Euro’ with about 355 votes, followed by the choice, ‘10.00 Dollar 7.78 Euro’ with around 155 votes.

Feel free to drop by Irrelephant’s topic, and share your opinion on the issue.

Keep on Starboundin’!

By: Keeper

Tooltips -- Quips and Bits
    The little joy one gets when they find a good tooltip is hard to statistic-ify. Needless to say, though, the memory of finding these little treasures will be remembered for years to come.

[​IMG]

Although a bit bland, it gives hint at the future of tooltips and all little literatures. I do expect it to give easter eggs sometime or another in the future...

Oh, and a little note from shardival regarding the item shown:
    [​IMG]
    “Nothing like a good bit of terraforming to decorate my lawn!"

~Nababoo

Fire Her Up
    Recently Chucklefish has released yet another screenshot to tease us -- a flamethrower. Forum user backstabbeh posted the image followed by the text:

A very pleasant sentiment, indeed.
    [​IMG]
    Some observations noticed: the fire has more detail than the usual of Indie games, allowing our inner Pyro to revel in the fiery joy. The forum members have responded with verysensen... interesting comments, such as “Are there any Unicorns you can hunt with the Flamethrower?” from Star and Moon.

Certainly one of the more popular screenshots released recently, with its fiery simplicity and burning desire to get wasted by all the forum folk (ahem).

[​IMG]

~Nababoo

April Fool’s
    The forums are abound with discussion regarding the upcoming April Fool’s Day. The exact kind of rampant conspiracy theories you’d expect anywhere preceding this very momentous day. But although you'd have to admit that this is the exact kind of thing we've been anticipating for the past year (or at least since the summer I arrived at these forums). In fact, the Starbound Chronicle is being delayed a week, possibly for the suspicion that inevitably comes with any information on the day of fooling, according to speculation from the community.

Expect all sorts of community threads regarding this matter tomorrow. As a matter of fact, there's already several threads; speculation about speculation of tomorrow. Let's just hope this doesn't bring about the end of the world.

Also, as a minor note (along with common sense), don't take your jokes too far. They may turn back on you someday! And no, the release date is not tomorrow.

~Nababoo

Composition of a Contest
    Forumgoer MoonyGekko has published a thread regarding the possible introduction of a new type of contest.

All of the previous contest had in the community were centered around art or literature. MoonyGekko proposes that the staff appeal this time to the musical community in some way, as a hail to their existence. Curtis Schweitzer, the composer of Starbound, released samples from the soundtrack a few months ago, possibly driving folks' expectations and desire for stellar music higher. Can the community best him at his game? ;)

The contest would be most interesting to see, and the results even more interesting. There are a few hurdles -- namely, the possible lack of participation -- but the sheer awesomeness that the community can spit out will most definitely be worth the wait.

Visit the thread regarding this matter and drop your thoughts into the plate. Dialogue would possibly bring this into fruition, and allow our ears to experience some candy of their own.

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    Featured this week in Suggestion Spotlight are the Glunaughts! A race of subterranean, laser-wielding amphibians with a special place in their cold-blooded heart for crystals.

[​IMG]

They are the brainchild of forum user Nirn who has provided a long and detailed post containing images, avatars, wallpapers and descriptions on the race which can be found here.[Provide Link]

[​IMG]

The Glunaughts are, as previously mentioned, amphibians. They have a large shell covering their back, short tails, and slightly textured skin which needs regular moisturizing. They also have bright white eyes. Glunaughts also have one slightly odd trait, gills. Though they are now useless, having lost their function from a long passed nuclear war. They’re also one block taller than humans with a turtle-like ability to retract their head and neck into their protective shell. From an outsider’s point of view they seem to be a rather cheery, happy-go-lucky race, but do not be tempted to mess with them. They hold friends and kin rather close at heart and will stop at nothing to protect one and other. This, combined with their extreme strength, can be a deadly and brutal end for anyone who posed the threat. It is stated that a Glunaught can smash a diamond with as little as one stomp.

Glunaughts began their life in the cavernous regions of the planet Makazi, dwelling in the miles upon miles of caves which spanned below the surface. The caves were very damp with a multitude of rivers, and were lit up by thousands of glowing crystals and minerals, leading the Glunaughts into a future of mining and geological knowledge. The Glunaughts full history and evolution is further explained and detailed in Nirn’s post.

The Glunaughts fondness and affinity for crystals has led to them incorporating them into their weaponry leading to a long line of ranged lasers. Albeit, the Glunaughts rarely use these guns, often preferring swords and shields, and selling off the guns for profit. They’re very famous for their light shields, amongst other things.

As we can read both here, and in the original forum post, Nirn has put a lot of work into the Glunaughts, creating a vast world with an exciting race full of quirks and possibilities.
    I for one would love to see this race in-game as a mod.

- WackyWocky

[​IMG]

Science Trivia
    Supervolcanoes (of All Varieties)
    Greetings, and welcome to the visit to the resident taxidermist. As... superfluous as it may seem, I am skilled in many, many fields of science, most of which is residue knowledge from my *ahem* days of illicit activity. As Sherlock Holmes once said, “All information is useful to a detective taxidermist”.

In this week’s visit to my office, I shall be in dialogue regarding the matter of supervolcanoes. These gigantic objects are truly a natural wonder to behold, and a frightening reminder of nature’s power over the indolent thumb-twiddling of man.

These voracious monsters, when detonated, explode and release a huge amount of ash, dust, and flotsam into the air. This causes a sufficient change in the climate as to cause a small ice age, or possibly force a species to face extinction. Although we may be able to avert this disaster using the very modern technology of today, it will truly be a devastating blow against the march of progress. After all, several hundred cubic kilometers of dust in the air would surely be the death knell for much of the planet’s wildlife.

Luckily for us, there are only a few of these in existence. Let’s just hope that the ticking time bomb with the name of Yellowstone doesn’t explode anytime soon. That’d be terrible, right?

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    Q: You’ve got your hands on your first flamethrower... What do you do with it?
    A: Post below!

Closing Comments
    • Welcome to the team, Shardival, and Jonesy!
      • Shardival will be in charge of illustrations, made specifically for the issue. Some seen above are the direct product of this talented artist :)
      • Jonesy is a new writer, supplementing the written works of Vector Squared.
    • Active Link is no longer able to conduct the Science Trivia. Nababoo shall be taking over the role for the following weeks, until a possible replacement can be found.
    Staff
    Nababoo -- Manager/Writer
    Keeper -- Wordsmith
    Strife -- ???
    WackyWocky -- Space Artist
    ReverseShadow -- Comic L0lcats
    shardival -- Legend of the Brush
    Jonesy -- He Never Asked for This

Credits
    -none this week-

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 [] Issue #12 [] Issue #13 [] Issue #14 [] Issue #15 [] Issue #16 [] Issue #17 [] Issue #18 [] Issue #19 [] Issue #20

Blue’s Fanmade Newspaper Archive

Yzzey, BrenSage, Nadroz and 16 others like this.
  2. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

Congrats to Shardival and Jonesy!

Great issue, as always. Keep up the good work guys!

3. kanopus

kanopus Star Wrangler

A: I use it to fire up a sweet, sweet cigar because it would mean I'm playing Starbound.

4. Star and Moon

Star and Moon Space Kumquat

Yeah, I was referring to Terraria there, and how many players like to hunt the Unicorn mob from the Hallow with the Flamethrower item, including me.

nababoo and Kitty Box like this.
  5. LazerEagle1

Dude, of course! The Flammenwerfer is the only true way of killing Unicorns.

nababoo and Kitty Box like this.
  6. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

Aw, you guys are too kind to me.​
    [​IMG]
    Also i love how marvelously worded everything is, makes me look like a 5 year old with a key board
    :megusta:

7. LazerEagle1

How do we know that you AREN'T a five year old with a keyboard?

0.o

nababoo and Nirn like this.
  8. druid

druid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice, Love it.

Edit: A: light the rope which leads to the trail of matches which leads to the cannon which is aimed at a lever whose other side has a penguin on it.:devil:

9. Nirn

Nirn Existential Complex

"You don't."

[​IMG]

dont ban me please, im 19

Rippedfang, demanrisu, Shock and 8 others like this.
  10. Rube Goldberg machine?

AlphaMongoose likes this.
  11. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

12. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Like dis issue. o3o Lots of artwork in it.

shardival and nababoo like this.
  13. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

I would very immediately locate a nearby planet filled with a peaceful race of Avians...
    [​IMG]

Need I say more?

14. LazerEagle1

Yeah. Why does everybody hate the Avians do much?

15. A:
    [​IMG]

Rippedfang, Mianso, Shock and 11 others like this.
  16. Kenwei2

Kenwei2 Cosmic Narwhal

But you got it all wrong...
    [​IMG]

17. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Another great edition! Keep up the great work :)

Also one of my characters of choice is avian :p his name is Captain Hawkward of the C.A.G.E starfleet :D

Kenwei2 and nababoo like this.
  18. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

I'd probably light a candle with my flamethrower.

Jonesy, nababoo and Keeper like this.
  19. echopeus

echopeus Starship Captain

I'd like to see if it would interact with Flora, would it light a forest on fire? and Soil... Scorched earth.... If you use it on sand does it make glass?....

20. Shock

Shock Spaceman Spiff

I don't think it would do that, no. :p