1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #20

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, Mar 25, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Hello, and welcome to the twentieth issue of Vector Squared. Again, we present to all you folks further information regarding the state of the forums. Last week, the upcoming beta roadmap, a crafting preview, a guest wallpaper, and the new (and useful) Help Megathread were covered. This time, Vector Squared has written about the very much anticipated pre-order speculation, the forum downtime, the results of Camz’ Mech Contest, and the recent forum downtime.

Hula-hooping, pixel-blasting, enemy-crushing fun, eh?

Table of Contents
    Pre-Order Speculation and Feedback
    A couple of days ago, forum user Sishio created the topic entitled Tiy considering opening Pre-Orders. In that thread, Sishio shared one of Tiy’s tweets from the 21st of March.This was that message:

[​IMG]

Needless to say, plenty of users shared their positive feelings towards the pre-order idea. People are looking forward to playing Starbound and this brings them one step closer to doing so. However, considering what soudescolado mentioned here, it’s worth noting that the pre-order date isn’t necessarily the same as the Beta release date. As the name gives it away, pre-ordering will only allow you access to the game once Starbound is up, which will very likely not be immediately after placing the order - You may have to wait a few days, weeks or even months.

Interestingly enough, not too long after Sishio created the already mentioned topic, Tiy conceived a thread entitled Your Feedback on a preorder, which reached close to 2000 views and over 100 posts in about 30 minutes!

In that topic, you may see the reasons stated for a pre-order to occur, as well as how the feature would work - all authored by Tiy. Basically, the money income from pre-ordering Starbound would allow the developers to truly focus on the game, since some of them have to work a second job to keep food on their tables. Not only will people be helping Chucklefish, but those who pre-order SB would get Beta access as well. In addition, pre-ordering will also be a cheaper process than acquiring the game after it comes out of the Beta stage. Such wonderful features, I might say.

Tiy engages the community further by raising a couple of questions, such as what payment method you’d prefer and pretty much your opinion about the whole thing.

The majority of people, if not all of them, who’ve been participating in the topic have also been demonstrating rather positive feedback towards the pre-ordering concept. Nice going!

If you haven’t yet, head on over to Tiy’s thread and share your thoughts on the matter.Chucklefish appreciates it.

By: Keeper

Winners of Camz’ Mech Contest
    It seems that the Mech contest brought to us nearly a month ago by our fellow forum user Camz has come to an end! The judging period is over and now it is time to announce the well deserved winners, alongside Camz’ personal comments:

1st Place: Nirn with Slime Mech - Camz was simply delighted with the idea behind this creation, as the concept appears to distance itself from the typical robotic mech, thus being quite different and unique! Apparently, it was difficult to decide which one would come first between Nirn’s and AstroBlast’s, but in the end, the Slime Mech emerged victorious.

2nd Place: AstroBlast with The Chuckle-Tank - Camz finds The Chuckle-Tank a very original creation, with a smart use of Chucklefish’s logo. Even though it earned the silver medal, this entry really put up an extremely good fight for the first spot.

3rd Place: blind sniper with S.C.A.R.A.B. - The combination of two races’ technology, namely Avian and Glitch tech, was one of the things that really appealed to Camz. It is a quite clever idea and the result is a rather menacing mech.

Congratulations to the three winners! They should be messaged about their well earned Steam vouchers any time soon. To those who don’t remember the prizes, first place is claiming a £15 Steam voucher, second a £10, and third a £5.

Also, a big thanks to all participants! This contest couldn’t have existed without everyone’s contribution.

Vector’s staff would also like to thank Camz for bringing up this fantastic community event, as well as for his contribution with our community paper! Cheers!

A couple of relevant links:
    Mech Contest Discussion Thread
    Mech Contest Submission Thread (Locked since entering period is now over)
    By: Keeper

Forum Downtime
    As our readers may have noticed, the forums have been down for two days, from the eighteenth to the nineteenth. During those two days, the forums were down, and all of us folk were deprived of our much-needed Starbound fix. Well, hopefully you received it elsewhere during that time.

The cause of the forum downtime was due to a server crash; further details were not given, besides the fact that the most recent backup was after the crash, possibly leading to corruption. So, OmnipotentEntity tells us all to give a call if we see any strange bugs of the sort around the forums.

But of course, the lights come back on again, and we all return to our steady, plodding works. Hooray.

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    Everyone thinks the Librarian is so calm, collected, entirely harmless. She may eye you over her glasses, glaring disapprovingly as you check out some comics instead of educational books, but she doesn’t bother you. She’s only a simple Librarian, right?

Then you forget to return a book a few weeks in a row. But no matter, you think you can just return to the Librarian and give it back, right? So you approach her desk and suddenly, she gets medieval on you with some huge books, some dripping toxic ink and others with sharpened metal edges.

What just happened here? You just got schooled by a Librarian using Weaponized Books! Alternal brings us his idea of various kinds of books that can be used as weapons. The variety of which they can be wielded and used to inflict damage is interesting. Some smaller books can even provide incremental stat bonuses to the bearer, including speed, jump height, and more.

Be sure to check out the thread for a complete description and synopsis of such an imaginative take on books.

--Strife

[​IMG]
    This week, our art feature centers around Dragonith’s Dragonith’s Sprites N’ Stuff (note the existence of three apostrophes). This art thread demonstrates his fine abilities in the realm of art; all of the pictures and sprites shown in the thread are examples of a pristine art form. The pictures themselves are also extremely creative. For example, take a look at this one:
    [​IMG]
    Yes, indeed, very fine contributions to our forums. Tell Dragonith your appreciation, and be a patron as well. What fun.

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    Q: What feature does the forum lack that you believe would be a plus if implemented?
    A: Share your thoughts!

Vector Squared Looking for More Writers
    Due to recent developments, the Vector Squared staff is no longer able to meet weekly deadlines. Therefore, we are seeking more writers and/or manpower to assist in getting to these required times. If you believe you have the aptitude and dedication, please send a PM to one of the staff members.

Closing Comments
    • Vector Squared is quite glad with the collaboration with Camz. So may continue to be when Camz’ new contest, possibly about writing, comes up.
    • We apologize for the delay this week; logistical problems and the like.
    Staff
    Nababoo -- Manager/Writer
    Keeper -- Wordsmith
    Strife -- ???
    Active Link -- Scientific Consultant
    WackyWocky -- Space Artist
    ReverseShadow -- Comic L0lcats

Credits
    blind sniper -- Banner

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 [] Issue # 12 [] Issue #13 [] Issue #14 [] Issue #15 [] Issue #16 [] Issue #17 [] Issue #18 [] Issue #19

Blue’s Fanmade Newspaper Archive

XRiZUX, TTCBuilder, mollygos and 10 others like this.
  2. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

oooh :(

But still it was fun :up:

Congrats for the winners! :iswydt:

3. Wooo hoooo!:viking:

Gratz to all winners & participants!
    It was funny:giggle:

AstroBlast and Keeper like this.
  4. Garneac

Garneac Phantasmal Quasar

IndentedThat was a neat issue. =) I didn't know the mech contest was over, either, so woot. Also missed out on the pre-order announcement.
    Indented...
    IndentedMore and more, I'm relying on Vector Squared to fill me in on forum news. Which is its purpose. So, fantastic stuff, and thanks all around.

IndentedA: Something about a Tinycon (Tabbed Alerts)?

IndentedWhat is it you're looking for for the writers? Any specific duties/responsibilities? Or areas of interest or something?

kagenn, Keeper and nababoo like this.
  5. Yes, and someday, we shall start implanting secret suggestions, and you shall be helpless to stop us. Our plan for world domination is well underway, my friends.

Not really so much specialty, besides the ability to write articles. General stuff in general :rofl:

Garneac likes this.
  6. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

7. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Yes congrats too all winners and entries! You have my thanks. Also thanks to vector squared especially keeper for collaborating and covering everything on the contest.

8. Congratulations to EVERYONE who entered the contest! It was really a lot of fun.
    And shard, don't feel down, I loved your entry! And I'm not just saying that to make you feel better, it was genuinely amazing! [​IMG]

Also, great V^2 issue as always guys.

Mianso, nababoo, blind sniper and 2 others like this.
  9. shardival

Haha, thanks for cheering me up X3 Maybe next time I'm gonna have better idea :rofl:

btw - congratulation Astro :up: You've put a lot work on you Chucke-tank (I don't have patience for animations!) - you deserve your prize :up:

All entries was great! I hope for another drawing contest soon! :monkey:

nababoo and AstroBlast like this.
  10. R3MI

R3MI Phantasmal Quasar

Congrats to the winners of the mech contest, those designs definitely deserved the win in my books :)

Another great Issue of V^2 although my arm is a little numb from gnawing on it in anticipation :rofl:

I look forward to the next contest whatever it may be! I encourage everyone to enter its great fun!

nababoo, Keeper and AstroBlast like this.
  11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Nice issue. I'll have a think about applying as a writer, if I reckon I can find the time.

Keeper and nababoo like this.
  12. Feel free :)

13. kagenn

kagenn Pangalactic Porcupine

Where's the comic? No comic? I guess I'm done here...

Congrats to all the winners of the mech competition. Looking forward to the game pre-order, keep us updated!

14. Just shout if there are any questions about that matter. :)

15. Camz

Camz Existential Complex

Shardival dont beat yourself up about the contest because your entry was very good and if i could of picked more winners i would of.It was very close between 6-7 entries trust me my brain nearly imploded :chrono: but there's all ways next time dude as i hold a contest per month. Your trust Cyber Cat Camz Template.png

16. shardival

Thank you kind sir :up:
    I think you picked best ones - I totally agree with your choice, honestly. Those was really fine, crazy ideas (mostly those made by Astro and Sniper - I like them really much! And they were animated! I love animated stuff!). You did great! :up:

AstroBlast, blind sniper and Camz like this.
  17. Lumberjack_Liam

Lumberjack_Liam Existential Complex

18. There is a comic made of the finest silks and purest of threads in the realm. Are you sure you don't see it? :chucklefish:

nababoo, shardival and WoxandWarf like this.
  19. Hahah, love Dragonith's dinos. They should be mountable. :sneaky: Pack dinos.

blind sniper and nababoo like this.
  20. Pigeon

Pigeon Cosmic Narwhal

I applied ages ago, back when I was TheCrimsonBatman, sent my model article in, didn't get a reply so I took at is a polite way of saying 'You didn't get the job'