1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Vector Squared -- Starbound Community News, Issue #14

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by nababoo, Feb 11, 2013.

1. [​IMG]

Greetings, and welcome to the fourteenth edition of Vector Squared. Last week, we covered the results of the Winter Contest, a victory in a nomination, and forum issues like the differentiation between several forum sections and whether more sub-forums were needed. This week, we cover a new newsletter, some more information about Starbound, and more community information. Zip up your swimsuit and dive into the lava oceans of Starbound.

Table of Contents
    • The Starbound Chronicle
    • Avian Cloning Animation
    • Sitting Confirmed
    • Spaceship Screenshot
    • Badge Nomination Thread
    • Literature Section
    • Race Lore Compilation
    • Art Feature
    • Suggestion Spotlight
    • Science Trivia
    • Question of the Week
    The Starbound Chronicle
    Seems like words have gotten around about the popularity of news, because mollygos has recently (and I mean that loosely) announced The Starbound Chronicle, a newsletter dedicated to bringing all sorts of inside info to the public. Quoting the post directly, this new device aims to bring ‘you the latest development updates, exclusive screenshots, a community spotlight feature, and a comic strip!’ It sounds like a wonderful plan.

“But wait!”, you might say. “What about Vector Squared?” Well, loyal readers, Vector Squared will continue bringing you news on a weekly basis, although our main focus may shift toward community news rather than official status updates. As of right now, it’s too early to tell.

~Mercenary Lord

Avian Cloning Animation
    After having seen the Human cloning animation a couple of weeks ago, this time Vector Squared brings you the Avian one, tweeted by Tiy himself:

[​IMG]

*Chirp* Chirp* Should Avian players perish throughout their adventures, it looks like they will have to endure the life of a helpless baby chick for a few seconds, peculiarly morphing into a fine Avian specimen afterwards. The fact that an egg is present at the start of the procedure is a smart touch that demonstrates that these animations’ developers bear in mind the different races’ physique and natural processes. In addition, it makes us wonder about what the respawning animations for the other species will look like. Will Florans sprout from some sort of seed? Will Hylotls be tadpoles? Questions, questions!

If you’d like to join the Avian cloning animation discussion, feel free to visit the topic created by forum user Alanzer-DNA.

~Keeper

Sitting Confirmed
    In a recent tweet, Tiy has shown us a screenshot of two spacemen sitting at a dinner table, accompanied by the text: “All the chairs in the game are sitable [sic] now :p”. A thread promptly popped up on this matter. In it, most of the forum members expressed their views about how it would increase immersion. It would certainly be a fun little feature if you enjoy that kind of roleplaying. However, on the other hand, there are some complaints of how it’s rather useless. However, Tiy commented on this by saying that it was mainly for AFK purposes, and for slowing down the hunger bar. So there you have it :)

It’s also interesting to note that the two figures (who looked awfully similar to OmnipotentEntity’s previous avatar) are engaged in what seems like some kind of wine celebration, even having one of those candle-holders to increase the atmosphere of everything. The table looks very strange as well, being one of the first optical illusions to appear so far -- there is a definite disparity between the two sitters.

~Nababoo

Spaceship Screenshot
    Tiy’s recently posted a picture of his decorated and furnished spaceship, totally deserving a frontpage spot in the next “Home Decor” Magazine. It’s been a while since we’ve had any info on the spaceship which will serve as our main base and hub, but let’s go ahead and mention what we already know.
    • It will serve as our main hub, containing the astrological map allowing us to travel between solar systems and orbit various objects such as planets, moons and asteroids.
    • The spaceship will also be the only place we can switch out “Tech” and “Pets”. This adds a new level of planning before landing on a planet seeing as you can’t bring extra pets and/or Techs with you.
    • The ship will be expandable, with many new parts adding new crafting abilities. We’ve seen some resembling medical labs, docking stations and living quarters.
    So reading over all of this, we can see that the spaceship is a core part of the game connecting it all together whilst providing important abilities and resources.

But these abilities dwindle when put next to the newest ability: Furnishing. Who wouldn’t want a bubble bath in their Deathstar? Or how about a nice leather couch and coffee table combo with curtains to match the rug? It’s nice to know we can take a break from tedious tasks such as “Saving the Universe” to focus on more important ones like “New Countertops and Kitchen sink”. One is only as powerful as he is fabulous.

[​IMG]
    “Hello MTV, my name is Tiy and welcome to my crib!”

- WackyWocky

Badge Nomination Thread
    With the introduction of the medal system, Starbounders now have something to aim and keep track of while minding their typical business in the forums. Badges may be earned through a variety of ways, such as being helpful to people in general and even emerging victorious in an official contest.

With that, forum administrator and Starbound developer mollygos has created a topic where users may suggest other users whom they believe have earned the honour to receive a badge. Basically, if in your journeys you come across someone whom you think deserves a medal, feel free to suggest that person in the previously mentioned thread by following the template shared in its original post. Those in charge of distributing badges will then analyse your suggestion and confirm if indeed that person has earned a medal or not.

Those nominated will certainly appreciate your gesture, regardless of the outcome. However, be sure not to randomly suggest people left and right - only those who you truly believe deserve such recognition.

~Keeper

Literature Section
    As per request, the forum staff have finally decided to make an Off-Topic sub-forum, entirely dedicated for literature, and all related fields. As the writers of Vector Squared can say themselves, they’re glad that there’s a place to unload all their extra baggage without the clutter of the Chat forum getting in their way.

There’s already a variety of threads popping up within days of its creation -- stories, poems, and writing threads. It’ll seem like this forum is going to be well-used.

However, there are some important issues that may come up with its creation. As forum user Garneac stated, the Roleplaying section would best fit in the new Literature section -- there are almost no Starbound-related stories within the roleplaying sub-forum, and the Fan Fiction section is dominated by activity from the roleplays. This is, for sure, a pressing topic, and much more dialogue would be appreciated on the matter.

But for the most part, this is a wonderful development, sure to allow further accommodation of all skills and subsets. Thanks again to the cooperative forum staff!

~Nababoo

Race Lore Compilation
    Vector Squared writer Keeper has decided to create a compilation of all the lore currently present for all the races of Starbound. Currently compiled so far are the Avians, Apex, and Florans, all with a nice little picture of the respective race from the character creator screen. It’s an awesome effort by him to keep it all in order, and have a place from which to study all of the released information of the races. Most of the released lore so far is from the “race history” bits released on the main website on different occasions, but as the game releases, perhaps it’ll have some more meaty information.

Drop by, give thanks, and beam at the amazing contributions that the members of the forums continue to bestow upon all of us.

~Nababoo

Art Feature
    ReverseShadow has decided to give a heads up to Rho, a developer/artist for Starbound, a heads up, with this fine picture:
    [​IMG]
    It’s the nice, fine picture of a purple Rho Rho-ing her boat. It’s a fun little piece of art, and considering that Rho’s getting married fairly soon, it would also serve as a nice present of sorts. Drop by ReverseShadow’s thread and give a thanks for creating such beautiful creations ;)

~Nababoo

[​IMG]
    The use of cloning as a respawn method, while befitting a sci-fi universe, raises a couple of questions regarding character individuality, one of them being: “Is it really us who return to life or is a clone a completely different person?”

Assuming that consciousness is not shared, it should be safe to assume that the clone is indeed a new individual. However, this did not land well on several forum users who feel that their bond with the character will diminish if they continuously keep playing as a “new person”.

Gladly, Tiy has stated through Twitter that the developing crew is likely to come up with some sort of method of storing people’s consciousness that would get uploaded to the clones after death. That way, players would still be themselves, only in a new, yet similar, husk - since the characteristics that define who they are as an individual would be transported to the new bodies.

With that, forum user Scourger has come up with an interesting suggestion topic entitled Spark of Life - Cloning Controversy. Basically, the Spark of Life stores the player’s data (knowledge, emotions, memories, and so forth) and would appear briefly after death, only to reappear on clone-respawn and proceed to “entering” the new being. According to Scourger, it is not certain whether the Spark is a small teleporting chip or the unit’s very soul. Perhaps a combination of both? Or even something else? This mysterious aspect adds a certain level of interest to the suggestion and, overall, it has received fairly positive critique, though a few users have demonstrated their wishes against it.

If you haven’t yet, you may stop by the thread and share your thoughts on the matter.

~Keeper

Science Trivia
    [​IMG]
    Active Link is out this week, so enjoy the above picture of “science”.

For some actual science trivia:
    The longest cells in the human body are the motor neurons. They can be up to 4.5 feet (1.37 meters) long and run from the lower spinal cord to the big toe.

Question of the Week
    Q: If you were to have a one wish genie of the lamp, what is the most creative way you could go about obtaining more wishes?
    A: Post in the thread. Let's see how we can confound reality.

Closing Comments
    • WHERE BE THE GOSH DARN FANFICS ~Merc
    Staff
    Nababoo-- Manager/Writer
    Keeper-- Wordsmith
    Mercenary Lord -- Lector Ficta
    Strife -- ???
    Active Link -- Scientific Consultant
    Slaticus-- Author from the Shadows
    WackyWocky -- Space Artist

Credits
    blind sniper -- Banner

Previous Issues:
    Issue #1 [] Issue #2 [] Issue #3 [] Issue #4 [] Issue #5 [] Issue #6 [] Issue #7 [] Issue #8 [] Issue #9 [] Issue #10 [] Issue #11 [] Issue # 12 [] Issue #13

Leonhartd, AyeAye13, Gunzier and 16 others like this.
  2. Heh, "Sitting Confirmed."
    Best article title ever.

3. RexMori

RexMori Industrial Terraformer

I would wish for... THE WORLD therefore getting anything and everything I could possible want and some things I don't

nababoo and WoxandWarf like this.
  4. GAH why don't I read these more often??? Vector Squared is awesome. Must. Read. More.

WackyWocky, nababoo and WoxandWarf like this.
  5. RexMori

Yes, but it also has all the people and things that make life worth living. :)

Yaxlat likes this.
  6. RexMori

STAHP RUINING MY DREAMS WITH YOUR LOGIC! :rofl:

7. STAHP RUINING YOUR LIFE WITH YOUR DREAMS! :rofl:

Yaxlat, nababoo and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Great volume!
    -stickied-

WackyWocky and nababoo like this.
  9. Awesomized

Awesomized Oxygen Tank

Great as always.

nababoo likes this.
  10. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Nice issue. :up: It was only a day or two ago that I figured we were due for another one.

I kinda like how the sitting mechanic is getting so much attention. Honestly, it's something more games need. For what is the point of interactivity and immersion if you can't rest your virtual legs up now and again?

Oh, and as for the whole genie-in-the-lamp scenario, I would wish for more genies.

11. Yaxlat

Yaxlat Existential Complex

Once again, very well done :). You guys deserve journalism awards. :DD

nababoo likes this.
  12. Yaxlat

Damn it Wox, how can you give everyone dem likes, and still be so morbid at the same time?

13. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

I just wonder - we will be only be able to change pets/techs on spaceship - but how about our home planet? I hope we got some kind of pets/techs dispenser there :rofl:

14. Dr scoobie

Dr scoobie Giant Laser Beams

wish for the genies power.

nababoo likes this.
  15. HappySailor

HappySailor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I actually think it is rally cool, I was playing a free to play MMO a while back, and I applied to join a clan, the clan leader then asked I meet him at a tavern in game where we went to the back, sat at a table, and he interviewed me for the clan. It's things like sitting and immersion qualities that bring memories of a game more forward.

also regarding genies- I would wish for the ability to make stars fall so i could wish upon one whenever i pleased (assuming that since i am in a world with genies that grant wishes that falling stars could as well)

Jonesy and nababoo like this.
  16. TFGoose

TFGoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This has always been my "if only one wish" selection, with this addendum:

"I wish to have all the powers of a genie, with none of their limitations."

/godmode

Prophet of Deception likes this.
  17. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

*Feeding the info addiction"
    And for the genie thing I would just straight up wish to become a god and make my own religion where we pray to bacon.
    :p

18. Yaxlat

I hate, to be serious, but all you people wanting genie powers and whatnot forget how boring that could become. No more doing things the hard way is like cheating at life-just like in games, it ruins the experience, and while I. Games that's that, you don't want to ruin your life. Anyway, on a not-so-cereal note, I'd want the genie to make sure that things I work hard for work out for me. :)

Sgt. Sprocket, nababoo and WoxandWarf like this.
  19. Sgt. Sprocket

Sgt. Sprocket Parsec Taste Tester

First you play the game the legit way, then you start over with cheats. :)

Yaxlat likes this.
  20. Logistical problems.

They're difficult to set up, as they require the person to be present and to have a Vector member available for interviewing. And since we're all procrastinating writers, guess when that time comes?

Garneac and WoxandWarf like this.