Various Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by espap_plan, Sep 11, 2018.

1. espap_plan

espap_plan Seal Broken

Hey guys! I'm honestly too addicted to Harvest Moon-likes, so naturally I adore Stardew Valley. I've got some ideas that I'm sure others have echoed thousands of times, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?

• Polygamous Marriage
    You can date multiple NPCs, why not be allowed to marry them? This segues into another idea...
    • Childless Marriage
    Being a parent is hard and scary! (Not to mention the kids don't really do much, but I digress.)
    I was thinking that space could be converted to another spouse's room in the event of a poly marriage. Or if you marry only one person, you could have another room to decorate to your own whim. Of course, if you decide to adopt/have kids, it can be changed into the kids room it currently is.
    • Date/Marry Non-human NPCs
    I specifically have Krobus and the Dwarf in mind, LOL.
    • Tool Misuse = Less Energy
    I think this is the suggestion I've seen the most of. Using an axe on rocks, pickaxe on trees, etc. Maybe something like the energy taken from tool use gets calculated based on what it hits/if it hits?
    • Auto-Grabber Works In Coops (+ Slime Hutches)
    I'm more into the coop function than in slime hutches, but I won't say no to both!
    • More Postgame Content!
    After completing all the town upgrades and story quests, I feel like the game has lost its return value. Having a motive to play makes it all the more addicting and fun to play. As I said at the beginning, I kind of have a "problem" with these games, so I'm still playing it well into later years in a given file, but it just feels... lacking.

That's all I can think of for now, I'll come back and update with more ideas as I remember them. :V Thanks!

EDIT 1: More Ideas!

• Controller Improvements
    My biggest grievances are loading kegs/etc (you can't reach the top corners, but can reach the bottom corners) and accessing the journal/quest list.
    • Kegs/Tappers/Furnaces/etc Stack
    The most QoL thing I think I could suggest. Setting up a new fermentation shed/sap forest takes ages just because I have to truck back and forth carrying them.
    • Bank/Money Storage
    This is even more of a minor thing, but having a safekeeping spot for money would be cool. Interest not necessary, but could be an incentive? Could definitely be useful in multiplayer games since you all share a pool of money and early-game is PAINFUL.
    • Larger-scale Multiplayer
    I know I just complained about early-game multiplayer money, but I would be interested in a new map or farm-style for playing with more than 3 other people. I'm in a Discord server with more than 4 people interested in playing Stardew Valley together, and it feels so bad to have to pick and choose who you play with.
    • Mushroom Tree Seeds/Saplings?
    I'm sure this is something already on the to-fix list given we're not supposed to have the weeds item, but mushroom trees providing their own seeds or saplings instead of weeds would be nice.
    • More Notes On NPC Likes
    Some NPCs have their likes spelled out for us, and others have no information.
    • Play Matchmaker!
    This is another suggestion I've heard a lot of, setting up non-marriable NPCs or the suitors you chose not to date/marry with each other.
    • Community Center Use
    Some NPCs like Clint dedicate time in the Community Center after it's completed, but it still seems to be largely ignored after the initial completion cutscene. All the work I put into it and gratefulness from the villagers is like, forgotten after it. (I also miss the Junimos in there, I wish they'd hang around outside the center and besides the huts you can build...)
    • Skull Cavern Navigation
    I'm not thinking of the elevator system like the regular mine has, but something, anything. Even getting to the mine at the earliest possible time and with the highest luck, I don't think I've ever gotten past floor 45-55 without excessive use of stairs. Seems kind of a waste for an infinitely generated dungeon.
    • More Use For Prismatic Shards
    They're so hyped up, being super rare and hard to obtain, but you only really use it for like, 5 things (4 in singleplayer). Maybe could be used to create something (permanent) relating to my last point about navigation in Skull Cavern so their rarity is still treasured but not made into a necessity to grind for.
    • Music Loop/Extension
    I lied, this is also super QoL. I like having the sporadic bursts of music because it keeps the tunes fresh and special, but compared to the "blank spots" of nothing, the overall audio feels super empty.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
      Kurachi84 likes this.
    • Kurachi84

Kurachi84 Cosmic Narwhal

• Polygamous Marriage
      I don't see the charm, but if people want it, then sure.... just not me, haha.

• Childless Marriage
      Sure, i see a nice change in that. I do not use it for another spouse, but it's not a bad idea.
      ADDING: Option to turn off your spouse to ask for a baby.

• Date/Marry Non-human NPCs
      Krobus and the dwarf aren't attractive to me, but i'd like to see non-humans to marry.... also females, please.

• Tool Misuse = Less Energy
      Said it in my own topic, when i didn't look at other suggestions yet, as i first wanted to make my own list. AGREE!!

• Auto-Grabber Works In Coops (+ Slime Hutches)
      Not very far in the game myself, but that'd help.

• More Postgame Content!
      That's always nice to see, maybe with new areas and such.

• Controller Improvements
      Haven't seen the issue (yet?).

• Kegs/Tappers/Furnaces/etc Stack
      No opinion.

• Bank/Money Storage
      Why didn't i think about this myself? Great idea!! Nice way to keep the money you need, seperate from the money you are earning.

• Larger-scale Multiplayer
      Not there yet, can't say anything.

• Mushroom Tree Seeds/Saplings?
      Don't see much in this yet, but some might come with great ideas for this part.

• More Notes On NPC Likes
      I'm using the wiki page, but it'd be nice to see more info, yes.

• Play Matchmaker!
      Seen this idea elsewhere, and i like it. I will make 1 character which won't want a reltionship, and so i can do quests(?) to make others happy.

• Community Center Use
      Not that far yet, but sounds great. Having people use the place for their reasons afterwards would be nice, if you did all the work.
      And it's a waste if those funny cute creatures disappear. Agreeing with that, too!!

• Skull Cavern Navigation
      Since there's magic, why no teleporters? I'm not that far yet, but i do see a nice point in this, even if it'd be each 10 levels.

• More Use For Prismatic Shards
      Again "not that far yet", but items like those always should have more/better uses, as they are special, right?
      More uses for any item in games is mostly better, and since this is a special item, i see no reason why not.

• Music Loop/Extension
      Yup, i don't like the bees sound in summers, and having some more with music would make it more lively, even with the bees sound.

• gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

I love a lot of your ideas, but there are some where I'd add a few changes...

Definitely childless marriage! Let me remove the beds, too, and actually use the room. I'll probably have one save with children, for the achievement, but otherwise, I don't need them, and I actually want to use the room.
        Adding on to Kurachi's suggestion of not having your spouse ask about having children, I think it'd be great if they only asked if you want to have children if you have the beds out. For instance, they're not there by default, but as an extra upgrade from Robin, and you can remove them if you already have them.

As for polygamous marriage, while I have no problem with it, I'm not sure I agree with using the children's room as a room for your second spouse, since it introduces a few problems. Can you then only have that one "extra" spouse? What about if you still want to have children? What about the shipping box area?
        I don't really see why it needs any sort of navigation, to be honest. Yeah, iridium nodes get more common, but after you get the Statue of Perfection, getting iridium isn't really a problem, at least it hasn't been for me, and as you said, the prismatic shards don't really have many uses.

You can get a bonus for reaching level 100 if you have secret note #10, but only the first time, and you can just use stairs.

They're actually good to keep as gifts for NPC's, since they're a universal loved gift, except for Haley.

As for your using them to navigate in Skull Cavern, while I still don't think it's necessary, if anything, I'd make the navigation non-permanent. For instance, as a craftable one-use "Skull Totem" that transports you to the last floor you were on in the Skull Cavern, or perhaps a random floor within a certain range.