1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED USS Polaris (Tiered USCM deep-space Frigate) beta 1.7.1 (+ mod)

A large military frigate for people willing to play human and nomadic lifestyle...

1. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

Velornar submitted a new mod:

USS Polaris (Tiered USCM deep-space Frigate) - A large military frigate for people willing to play human and nomadic lifestyle...

Read more about this mod...

2. Ghostsight

Ghostsight Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So i love the layout of the ship but once it is installed with the creation of a new character it gives the initial quest pop up then nothing but a black screen, any suggestions?

my bad i was impatient gave it a minute loaded up the ship amazing mod thanks

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  3. Velornar

ok...dont worry about the black screen (yes...I forget to write a note about this) if it dont last more than 30 sec...
    The ship is actually really big compared to many other ones, so there are some lags, especially on lower configs computers (like on my laptop), and the design could take some time to load.
    I had a lot of problem previously, while trying to make the mod, with those blackscreens, but if you wait a moment, the first tier layout will normally appear.
    If it doesnt...have you seen anything in the crashlog ? is there an error here ? do you use a particular mod ?
    crashlog adress: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage : the "starbound" file, or any "log" file, the most recent one if possible...
    It seems to work perfectly on my build...
    But if its from the file, sure I will make a quick update to fix the problem.

4. ThePionier

ThePionier Void-Bound Voyager

Hey,
    beautiful ship layout. I've read that you still want to do destroyed ship versions for the Startship. The earth was destroyed but alien tentacles, so the ship to escape from the earth but could have been damaged.
    Almost all rooms have holes in the shell and tentacles could be on the premises, so they were sealed. And so every upgrade could repair up one or two rooms in the ship and the tentacles were removed.
    What do think?

Greetings

5. Velornar

I really like your idea, you clarified very well a small idea I had for the future updates planned.
    But in fact, it may take some time to modify the design, so I'm actually making some test, but I wont probably release it in a week (I'm a student, I need to work hard sometime xD).
    In the first time I will of course to lock some parts of the ship (and turn off lights in), but actually I dont know wich ones are the most necessary, and some of the room couldnt be locked due to their role of corridor between sections of the hulll.
    Depend also vastly on the background chosen.
    Did the ship left earth from a spatiodock ? from the ground ? Have it been damaged from a space battle above earth between refugies, opportunist pirates and USCM command...
    Or wrecked while trying to leave the spatioport on earth (maybe due to its size), it took to much time to pass the athmosphere and was damaged by tentacles...
    Some options need to be selected then, and then I will start a more advanced layer.
    But before to make the wrecked version, I will maybe expand first the size to add some missing rooms I mention, like ones related to bath, hygiene etc...

I will probably also keep a "creative" version of the ship, where you come directly to T8, once you passed the first tutorial tiers, for people willing to play some mods requiring all the space of the ship now (I mean, starbound crew, frackin flora, industrybound etc...). Just ike now in fact ^^

edit: sorry for my clumsy language ^^

6. Stabbymcstabstab

Stabbymcstabstab Void-Bound Voyager

Quick question, I'm trying to convert this to work on my novakid but it won't work. I'll work on a human character just fine, but no matter what I do it won't work with novakids even brand new characters. I followed you instructions but it still won't work. Any tips?

7. ThePionier

ThePionier Void-Bound Voyager

Hey,
    my idea was that the ship is launched from the ground on Earth. Therefore, the tentacles had damaged the ship and had holes torn in the outer shell.
    The ship had just made to go into the light jump, the tentacles had been tornt off by the light jump. The ship has been doing but so damaged that has failed everything on the ship.

My english is bad too ^^

8. Velornar

OK...I forget about one thing in upbeat giraffe, the shiplockers/science station, fuel hatch and captain chair are bound to a specific race.
    Even the files, I havent patched the univer_server.file and used the default one for the ships.struture.
    I forget about it, in fact I will remove this tip because it cant work without at least a bunch of corrections in the files.
    But if you are willing to play novakid with the ship, I will try to make a viable build for you.
    I will have to rename some of the files.

Edit: Done for novakids...ressource updated, I also made some fixes on the hull design by the way.

9. Velornar

Velornar updated USS Polaris (Tiered USCM deep-space Frigate) with a new update entry:

Welcome aboard, Novakids ...

Read the rest of this update entry...

10. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

One of my users linked me to your mod, so... could you please make a working fuel tank to be unlockable at tier2 ship world rather than tier3?

This will not affect the core gameplay (because the game will not allow interspace travel until the tier3 anyway), but will allow the mods (like mine) which restore fuel cost for intraspace travel to work properly (otherwise the player will stuck on its starter planet without being able to travel anywhere).

All you would have to change is a single pixel in the cockpit. :)

11. Velornar

I modified as you said the fuel hatch to make it available once the Tier 2 reached (when the player gathered the 20 planet's core fragments).
    The main file is not modified yet, because I wouldnt make an entire update just for the minor modification (and abuse mod bumps ^^).
    Instead, here is a link for the version requested, before I introduce this modification officially in a next update.
    Enjoy ^^ (will make a link on the main page too).

12. MrChow

Thank you! :D Your mod is now featured in "recommended mods" section and marked as "compatible".

13. Stabbymcstabstab

Stabbymcstabstab Void-Bound Voyager

You sir are a beautiful human being.

14. Velornar

Velornar updated USS Polaris (Tiered USCM deep-space Frigate) with a new update entry:

Alignement fix and Fuelhatch update...

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. MrChow

I actually might know why this "black screen" bug happens. The actual problem is this happens with the last-tier vanilla ships as well - the game eats 100% of my CPU and I have to wait 2 minutes for it to load all tiles and objects. Yes, in a completely empty ship, background tiles and lights only. This is a serious bug and major regression of UG in comparison with EK and there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Happens if you have a low budget AMD processor - it seems devs weren't testing the game on "cheap" hardware at all. What enrages me more is the game seems to not use the video card's hardware but entirely rely on CPU instead.

P.S. Mine is quadcore AMD Athlon II x4 620 "2.8 GHz" (its real speed is only 780 MHz).

16. Velornar

...if we cant fix this...eh...maybe will I forced to make a sign about this, like: "do not use this mod if you are using a low end laptop or computer. crash and unplayable lags expected".
    At least seems that we have this "chunk loading system", instead of an entire shipworld to sustain all the time.
    The first build I tried with EK (basicly a reskin of the Gilgamesh cruiser) was extremly laggy and mostly unplayable for me (11 fps al the time in the ship, with objects etc...), so I gave up to continue with a big until the next updatewould fix the problem. This ship was less than the half of the size of this frigate (or even dreadnough, because its specified that frigate are supposed to only have 3 decks...)
    I guess bad reviews about these problems wont stop here...I maybe better have to wait, pause the build, for the next update to see if devellopers are going to change the configuration to allow bigger ships to be loaded. It would also let me some more time to work on the wrecked version of the ship, after fixing the problem of copyrights of course.
    At the moment, for my computer, I have to wait almost 20 second (with a black screen) at the launch of the save, and 5-10 sec for teleporter to bring me back on the ship, not really unplayable in fact. However, the fps is quite good (around 25).
    Here is my config: intel I3-2310 CPU 2,10GHz, graphic card, Intel HD graphics 3000/switch Radeon 5400 not funtionnal, 4Go RAM. real speed 2095 MHz. Medium/low end computer in fact.

17. StarScribe

StarScribe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Looks very fun, going to definitely try this out with the 2 recommended mods.

18. Velornar

19. EllieDragon

EllieDragon Void-Bound Voyager

I dont know much about anything when it comes to modding but I was curious if there was anyway that you might be able to make it compatible with mod races? I would love to use it but I don't have very much interest playing humans or novakids or any of the vanilla races really. I completely understand if you don't know a way to get it to work, I was just curious.

20. Velornar

Yes, you are totaly free to use the ship mod for a custom race. But with Upbeat Giraffe and the new patching/tiering system, its has become much more difficult to introduce a custom race in the game.
    Basicly, you have got to make a JSON patch to the universe_server.config file (there is an excellent tutorial/thread by Xxswatellitexx here to learn basis ) , to add the 9 ship.struture file of the different tiers to your race. Then you will have to rename some files, replacing "human" or "novakid" with the name of your race.
    But the most difficult part, you will have to make your own blockkey file for your race, with the values of items such as thrusters, shiplocker, sciencestation etc...
    Without this file, the patch I made to add some custom objects will not work, and even there, you will have to correct the path if needed.
    A lot of work yes :/
    Just curious, wich race mod are you using ?
    I used a lot of custom race under enraged koala, and my favorite one is the discontinued Lombax race, wich have all the design, names, even some weapons, but still have no dialogues with npcs, sfx, ships, and even some racial craft. I'm actually trying to add the missing elements (for personnal use because I havent the permission for it), but I have a problem with the description of every objects, there is so much description to add, even with patches, it would take decades...
    So I'm waiting for the final release to play wit a custom race.