1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP USS Polaris Military Frigate (USCM)...maybe discontinued.

Discussion in 'Ships' started by Velornar, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

This is just a thread I stupidly made when I was a bit disapointed by the fact I would not be able to finish a ship mod project (should maybe learn to control my emotions ^^).
    Now since the mod is fully working, this thread have no more reason to be.
    Here is the Polaris frigate.

Hello everyone,

I dont know if I'm really breaking or not the rules by posting this thread, I feel like I'm on the edge of the rules by posting this uncomplete project.

First of all, I will try to do my best to express myself correctly, my english is actually really uncomplete, and despite of studies, its still not my native language. Sorry by advance for the grammar or simply vocabulary mistakes...

I will post here a project I'm working on since january 2014, mainly because I cant finish it by myself, especially since the last update about ship tiers; Upbeat giraffe.

About the ship:

General view (the iG view is not good enough because I cant introduce successfully ligths in blockkey file via patch...yeah...what a dumb problem :rolleyes:):

[​IMG][​IMG]

Polaris is the name of the original galaxy of the lombax specie from Ratchet&Clank serie...I tried to keep udpdated the mod, but I give up too, to much quest, codexes, weapons, background to be done to make it viable under UG.

I have always found the vanilla ship not big enough for the amount of content the game has, especially since I dont like to settle on a planet (mainly because there is no way to stick more than one). I prefer a nomad like playstile, with mainly few mods, but tow mods I feel just essentials: Starbound crew and Frackin Flora (+VISOTU etc), the second one needing huge storage capacities for all the stuff, usually destined for base on planets.
    So thats why I tried to design a ship, a bit military like (because we all know that military stuff stuff is always supposed to be at the top of technology for strategical issue) but also able to contain scientific material, and of course a lot of storage.
    This would also be used as wehicle carrier...but i slightly gave up the idear because the lengh started to become ridiculously long and rather ugly.
    I made a lot of rooms and decks for a realistic roleplay use for multiplayer, if people are willing to play a crew.
    I also made tow impervious rooms for fuel/ water or liquids; strategical bunker, greenhouses, one for terrestrial plants; and another one in a quarantine quarter, for extra terrestrial vegetation, some rooms are also separed from the ship by decontamination aera or emergency airlock in case of ship destruction, to seal the destroyed aeras;
    A complete bridge, a long range sensor/DRADIS station, communications relay and a command center...
    And just for ""fun""...I added those nuclear solarium warhead rooms to make it feel more like Typhoon submarine classes; escape capsule pods are replaced with vehicules from the flight deck, or simply the default T0 ship docked under the ship.
    Also a lot of battle/planetary artillery, missiles silos....
    Etc...like realistic military ship would be, a mini-battlestar like ship...
    Some people have found those nacelles above the thruster quite ugly, yes I would probably have changed the design (and make a custom glowing object as jump) to make its look like an Alcubierre's warp propulsion from star trek universe (because; franckly, who would reach the speed of light and beyond with only thrusters).
    Thats maybe all for the description...

Current state of the mod:

It would have been my first mod...but there is an incredible gap between ideas and realisation, even in games.
    This mod is mainly adressed for human charaters, because I find the vanilla tiers rather tiny and quite ugly...
    So dont expect a version for other races (except eventually custom ones like lombax, once updated :raccoon:), I dont know if after all the problems I crossed to make only this one, and the few room art we have currently for other species (the room design was mainly taken from the vanilla space station), I could still be able to make a design for the next 6 races keeping the frigate shape.
    I'm completly stuck on stupid object implementation problems (like the mandatory wrecked platforms, or lights, even booster different from vanilla ones wich refuse to load whatever I try...and this is not an object problem because I have been able to load them on another version of the ship in enraged koala :mad:); I am forced to make patch for blockkey file instead of simply replacing as many suggested, simply because its the only way to launch anyway the game even if only one element work (like its the case actually, only the "apexcooldoors" and vanilla stuff are loaded.)
    Actually, the structure of Tiers 0 and 1 are good. The hull design, collision an lit.png pictures for rooms match perfectly together.
    The ship is correctly laoded after a few seconds of dark screen. Its completly dark, you could have acess to the AI reboot...and when you try...then nothing, you lose the quest and acess to the sciencestation. The AI does not reset. and the ship do not move to the next tier 1.
    I have been looking many times in the files, but I cant figure out why....
    And no needed assets are missing, nether in the blockkey file than in the shipblock.png file.
    There is a single design design in fact, I tried to make tinyer design starting from the gligamesh, but finally I found that maybe with a military background, or abordage of a frigate by pirates, it wouldnt be a problem if the player unlock different rooms (locked before) along the tier progression.

Thats why I leave this file here. I'm not able to finish this mod, even with help. It seems to be out of my reach.
    I would probably be able to make it work under Enraged Koala, but not with Upbeat Giraffe.
    I give up because I tried everything I know about ship mods to solve the problems, whithout results.
    But still I dont want the hundred of hours I have spent to be lost.
    So you are totaly free to download it, modify it, use whatever you want for your own ship design, or simply release it for yourself or the communauty, henceforth I wont take any credit for it...
    Its a complete failure for me, and with studies I wont probably have the time to ever finish it one day, even when the game will diseapppear :rolleyes:
    I'm sure there is in fact few things remaining to be done, and make it work. could be a few hours work like weeks of puzzle.

Link for the file as it is actually:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2gyqofnwqk44z2/USS Polaris frigate.zip?dl=0
    All the stuff related to the ship (a bit messy):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a3q8oq650p28mv8/USS Polaris related stuff.zip?dl=0

Credit from other mods:

This mod is based upon a great ship mod, the Gilgamesh cruiser (by Plusquam) wich already have an excellent shape and room design, really good to separate tasks like storing, cooking, crafting, heal etc...
    I just enhanced the shape, modified the art overlay and added a lot of rooms for differents more purposes.
    You may recognize a lot of design "borrowed" from other great ship mods everywhere, and yeah...what a shame I know: since I'm not an artist, I wasnt good enough to make my own design just by drawing (my problems are more color choice than frame...cause im partly colorblind, using numerical values would be really boring). Its basicly copy/paste with Photoshop.
    I will try to make a full list of mod here, thanks you by advance...or simply sorry if I wasnt allowed to do so:

I will try to add the link after.
    All the vanilla ship stuff of course, space station included.

The Albatross: By (dont know if its vanilla or not) 4haus
    The Trident ship: (cant find the link to the page)
    Dreadnough human cruiser: By Boogy
    MST3K satellite of love: By Okash
    the Pirate Ship: By DwunkyPengy
    KRI Hauntu Laut: By Olekaban
    Multiversal mothership: By Punisherbr
    Human Battle cruiser HBC-2000: By BUDDYBOY
    Miniknog scouting vessel: By Tiltos
    Absolution cruiser: By Surrioc
    The Green Goblin: By Piro.
    Logistic Frigate: By Beeftime
    Merryos Ferry: By Cgeta
    Horstjs Larger Ships: By Horstj.
    Human Layered Shuttle: By Storm_UK (maybe the greatest idear for the ship, I had the idear to layer the frigate too...but the lags came and made the project impossible :/)
    Etc...I'll find the missing name to complete the list...:ninja:

The mod is currently unplayable (at least not enough to even get to the outpost). This file is destined mainly for modders, so I wont add installation instruction, even if we all know that its just needed to paste the file in the /Giraffe_Storage/mods folder...
    All permission possible given on these assets.

So, good luck for your own mods, and have a nice journey in space :)

PS: To be deleted, the mod is now fully functionnal.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. enolarules

enolarules Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know if you can help me with this but every time I try to reboot the ship AI I get a runtime crash. Ill put what it said here if it helps. #$%#@%.JPG

3. Velornar

Velornar Pangalactic Porcupine

euuuh...sorry, wrong thread, this is an old one, supposed to be deleted ^^

4. manwall94

manwall94 Master Chief

is the mod for all the races because I only make florin races and I need a big ship for all my mods