Using your ship to land on the planet

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Neleos, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

Hey guys,
    I'm expreience that I'm actualy using my own spaceship as a storage and crafting place. So I guessed it would be great if I would be able to land on the planets.
    Some reasons and suggestions for landing on a planet surface:
    1.You have anything avaliable right on the planet and a safe spot
    2.You can pick your own landing spot by seting up a landing beacon and preparing a landing area
    3.You can only land with small ships (optionaly)
    4.You don't have to respawn in your ship and teleport on the planet anymore (because you're allready on the surface so 1 step less :p)

and here a pic of my spaceship (and how I use it)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Jeffman12

Jeffman12 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe have it cost more fuel to land and to depart when doing so?
    Or maybe require a landing gear upgrade...

I'd love to be able to build a hangar or landing pad to set the ship down on.
    And just to keep people from dropping into unswept dungeons, something about anti-air/spacecraft defenses could be inserted.

sagenth, ShadedBlade and Neleos like this.
  3. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

Thats quite a good idea too, I've draw a sketch to show you how I imagine the landing requirements
    [​IMG]

4. Jeffman12

Not bad, a beacon designating a set area for a ship to land, maybe with a 'hologram' of blocks where the ship will go when it's placed.

5. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I think it would be also good to make your ship more usable while you are on the planet, maybe hover over a coordinate so you can spawn at this position or protect a small coordinate from common aliens by using on-board weapons :p

StopGamer likes this.
  6. Asril

Asril Intergalactic Tourist

The planets with population could have landing platforms and in order to be able to use them u could have to solve a quest.
    Those planets which doesnt have population anymore but ruins/wrecks could have buried landing plattforms. In order to use them u have to excavate and repair them.
    This would prevent the player from bugusing as they wont be able to set those platforms up by themself.

7. Stalk33r

Stalk33r Void-Bound Voyager

If we are going to unlock something, make it the other way around. You start with the ability to only land, and later you unlock beaming down. (or remove beaming completely as landing would be more useful and cooler)

8. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I like the beaming feature but i would prefer landing especialy for multiplayer Some people try to kill spawning player. If they turn damage in spaceships off (you know life support, nano bots in the air, etc. to keep it lore friendly) you will allways have a safe spawn :p

9. Jeffman12

I still feel like some work should be done by the player to get to that point, I mean this is a huge benefit, while I'd like to say a ship upgrade should be required, I can't think of a good reason for it to be so.
    To that end, I think a landing pad should still be the first requirement, requiring some durable materials, of course, but nothing too complex, maybe iron blocks?

But this got me thinking, if custom ships are to be a thing, ships are going to need a set of landing gears designated in their sprites so they'll land in a visually appealing way.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I think the landing Pod idea is also a good idea, f.e. your ship gains the ability to shoot a landing Pod at your favourite destination with a teleport and a crafting device, you can safe-spawn there and also use the device to craft stuff there or acess your ship storage without beaming onboard. My suggestion is: 1. You can call this spawn Pod on your position while you are on the planet surface (or while you're in your ship), the Pod remains for 30 min and despawns then, it costs fuel or lets say iron ore or something. Once you call a spawn pod your ship gains cooldown on it so you cant spam it. 2 You can upgrade this spawn pod ability and gain more features (f.e. a cooking device, smelting place, increase the time until despawn, decrease pod cooldown)

11. Windy017

Windy017 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'd worry that being able to land your ship, which is pretty much a mobile base and your home away from home would be a little "overpowered" and would make building near obsolute. So i'd say that a small ship could be used to get you on the ground and vice versa. Being able to Teleport back to your ship is a little iffy to me.

[​IMG]

A ship, the size of this could carry you, you friends and some crates/chests to get started. For example. That could work.

Neleos and Mitroll like this.
  12. Mitroll

Mitroll Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be awesome. It should have been like this all along. Having to land the ship would get rid of the stupid teleport to ship mechanic, as long as they also got rid of the "log out and back in = underground teleport" exploit.

Neleos likes this.
  13. debigas

debigas Space Hobo

This a very good idea, but the "cooldown for the pod" turned me off a little bit, i really think the pod should be the only way to the ship, yet it must be a physical thing, maybe could be carried?

I'm just blurting that because it would be nice to settle somewhere and have inside your house a niet "capsule room".

Mitroll likes this.
  14. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I also thought about "you have to charge your teleport once you are on the planet" because even if its good and easy if you can get out of nasty situations by klicking the teleport button, its probably TOO easy

Edit: about the Pod cooldown, I thought if you allready used you pod and its on cooldown, you can shoot a common landing/teleport beacon to your position (or a set position) and use it but it will be unsafe and without the benefits of the landing Pod

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    Mitroll and debigas like this.
  15. debigas

debigas Space Hobo

I don't have a really good idea about how it should work, but i think i agree with you that that button needs to vanish

Mitroll likes this.
  16. Windy017

Windy017 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thinking about it more, teleporting should be item based instead of what it is currently. It's pretty much a "Get out of jail free" card, more so when you think about Hardcore/Ironman runs. (Those, if you don't know. Is basically "You only live once" and if you die, you delete the save or the game deletes it for you. Diablo and Action RPG games such as Diablo are known for this kind of gametype, other games such as X-COM will have a Ironman option, which makes a already tense game, very tense.)

There is only one rule for such a challenge, and that is simply "Don't die". That means, playing smart. Playing wreckless will get you killed, specially with the current balance in the game so far. If your able to both Teleport to your ship on land on the first risk of death, and being able quickly to log out, log back back in while your underground would just ruin the idea of playing smart, turning it from that to a game of reaction times as soon as your about to die.

A simple way to sort this out, I guess. Would be to either make a usable item, consumable preferred like the Portal Scroll from Path of Exile, which, when used. Will allow you to retreat back to your ship in a one way system, rarer versions of this teleportation would allow you to retreat then come back to where you left. But should be more rare, which should make you save them for when you really need them.

Another way could be that the further down you go, the longer it takes for the teleportation to actually trigger. Kind of like Recalling in League of Legends. Consumable teleportations could also have said "powering up" sequence the further down you are in the would.

Mitroll and Neleos like this.
  17. Asril

Asril Intergalactic Tourist

Perhaps different difficulties as in diablo? Easy -> Normal -> Hardcore -> Don'tDie

EDIT:
    In easy mode it would be as it's now.
    Normal mode = cooldown on teleport.
    Hardcore = teleport not in fight and with cooldown.
    Don'tDie = teleport? no, u need to craft smth!

18. alef321

alef321 Master Chief

Agreed , My ship is my home...everything else are just tourist spots !

also we need to be able to make the ship as big as the mk upgrades keep comming so we can fit all the creation tools

19. debigas

debigas Space Hobo

I don't think so, to me my ship is the second home, but home will always be my settlements

20. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

Just imagine you can land with your ship next to your settlement :p