1. Note: Nightly builds are not officially supported and things that appear broken might actually just be broken with no way of fixing it, but community members may still be willing to assist you with common problems.

Closed US vs UK English?

Discussion in 'Nightly Builds Support' started by lazarus78, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not sure exactly how to address this, so Ill jump right into it.

I noticed in the nightly of the 17th, they changed armor "itemTags". Before they were things like "copperarmor", "steelarmor" etc etc, and now they changed them to "tier2armour", "tier3armour", etc etc.

Notice the change? No not the change from material to tier, but "armor" to "armour".

Im not sure if this was intentional or not, and I don't know how, if at all, this affects anything in the game. I know the team, and thus some of the members, are in London, and that is how UK English spells it, but literally every other instance in asset/folder naming uses the US version.

Sooo.... yeah.... Is this a slip of the fingers due to whoever made the change being British, or is this an intentional change? And more impoarntaly, does it matter? If the game uses "armour" and I continue using "armor" in my mods, will it matter if I want to keep my stuff in line with the game? I want my custom armor sets to be treated the same as the vanilla armors, but I don't want a tiny difference like this being an issue in the future.

Edit: I am guessing it was intentional, given they specifically changed the tier 5 and 6 tags on tier 5 and 6 armors from "tier5armor" to "tier5armour", and ditto for tier 6.

So I then ask... why? All other instances use "armor".

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Grimzalo

Grimzalo Void-Bound Voyager

beats me maybe not to offend the certain people that spell it that way over in the UK or something like that, the other words that come to my head (correct if wrong) is color/colour and valor/valour.

3. lazarus78

Almost universally, they have used the american versions of words, so it struck me as odd that they would go out of their way to include these tags on armors using "armour" when everything else uses the latter. I first thought it was maybe just an oversight, sicne I know Chucklefish is made up of both Americans and British, so perhaps one of the brits was in charge of adding the new tags and just kinda defaulted to how they spelled it, till I noticed in one of the diff logs that they specifically changed old existing tags that used "armor" to include the U.

Im not upset by the use of british spelling, just confused by the lack of congruancy.

4. Grimzalo

Grimzalo Void-Bound Voyager

i agree to find it confusing as well

5. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Methinks that they should change it all to our language and leave it as it is ^_^

It doesn't make much sense to have some things spelled the US way and others to be the UK way

6. lazarus78

Going to bump this again.

Diff log showing the change in armor tags: http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/diffs/20151217.txt

Also as of todays nightly diff log:
    Code:
    achievements\achievements\complete\craftallarmor.achievement
    23c23
    <       "name" : "itemSet.category.headarmour ",
    ---
    >       "name" : "itemSet.category.headarmour",

Notice the file name and then the line being changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.