1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Soraph, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Soraph

Soraph Void-Bound Voyager

It is really fun to play the game in this early state but I felt the need to give some feedback to the current unstable build and wanted to share my experiences.
    The Combat feedback is concerning "end game" equipment.

Movement/Combat

1. Ranged Combat
    This has been mentioned before: Ranged weapons are not very efficient. The time before the regeneration kicks in is too long,
    and it isn't tied to the amount of energy we have. So even if I'm using energy equipment and fire quick bursts there is no difference to the old system, because I'll always have to wait for the regeneration to start.

Suggestion: Let the regeneration start immediatly but tie it to the remaining energy pool, so that the more energy is left the faster the regneration goes.
    For example (I'm just making up numbers): When you have 80% or more of your energy left the regeneration is at the speed we have now
    50%-80% it's 2/3 of the speed
    20%-50% it's 1/2
    and 0%-20% 1/3
    There is already a color code in the bar, so the phases could easily be highlighted
    That way energy management would be encouraged. Burning through your energy pool would cause down times, while considering when to use how much energy can give you an advantage.

2. Melee Combat
    This is real fun. Whether I'm using 2 swords / 2hd weapons and the shield tech or sword and shield it all requires some tactiscs. The shield block seems to recharge too slow though.
    When using the shield tech energy regeneration seems to be wonderful balanced. (so changes in the energy systems might cause some problems here)

3. Staffs
    I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed. I see that the staffs shouldn't be just different looking guns, but the energy staffs consume, the charge time they have and the effects they cause are just not balanced - so I will see these as early work in progress.

4. Tech
    I like all the movement techs - platforming is no problem with them, although some people might say else
    Light: Bugged? I only see my energy going down in exchange for the small trace of a glow on my character.
    Energy Regeneration: Doesn't seem to have any effect (I havent't looked at the code but stopped the time it takes to regenerate)
    Shield: One of my favorites - seems to absorb the right amount of damage to keep an eye on the energy bar when forced to reuse it quickly

5. Planet difficulty

I think it's obvious that it'd be nice if all planet types would still be challenging with strong equipment.

Exploration

6. Ships
    I like the idea of giving each race their own ship type, but wished to have the opportunity to choose the ship independently of the race (there could be many explanations lore wise).

Another nice feature would be to remove the tech backplane of the ships to give us the opportunity to build our own windows

7. Dungeons
    I know it's hard to randomize these but they become quite repetitive over the time
    The reactor feature is really cool though (add something similar in apex structures, too?)

8. Planets
    More an observation (besides the comment on diffiiculty)
    It's nice to see more biomes underground - finding water biomes beneath an ocean of magma was strange though

9. Starmap
    I guess i saw already that the map will show us if there are towns or dungeons on a planet. I would be very happy too see that

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Its not bugged, but the light is so weak you wont even see it if your in a slightly lit location. Try going into a completely black cave and using it (without lantern stick).

Personaly i think they will either have to make it much brighter or give you some sort of indicator that its on and in what direction (since its easy to have it on by mistake and not notice).

3. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Entirely against the starmap showing any more than it already does. It would ruin the purpose of exploration

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I could only see that working if was something that was tied to tier upgrade or something similar. That way it would not be something you would have right away. The bigger the ship the more liable capabilities right?

OP: Interesting assessment. I agree with the ranged part. I don't mind the cooldown regen of energy, but the regen before that cooldown seems a bit slow. What you proposed, the idea, I actually like that. That would make quite a bit of sense and be more functional, as long you keep in mind not to use all shots before you have to wait on cooldown. Does need some balancing still I am sure, but your idea seems like a logical balance.

I've not messed with staffs, but have messed with some melee & ranged. I love the new melee systems, although would be nice if there was more to spears; like a twirling block or something like that. You know, think star wars when someone wields a lightsaber and twirls it to reflect incoming projectiles. Actually, maybe that could be its special right click; just good against blocking projectiles, while melee would be a parry of sorts. I just think the spears are lacking a bit for a 2 handed weapon.

Techs: I like the way they done this, for the exception of suits. The suits are just too simple at the moment. I won't go into that, as it has already been discussed several times already in other threads.

Ships: I wouldn't mind choosing which ship I would like to have at the beginning, or later on. Even if it is a trade off. That would mean transporting what you have on your ship to somewhere safe when the trade off happens. I could see a warning popping up both before in the context of the deal and right before you accept the trade off. As you would be essentially changing ships. This would open up more possibilities if done that way. As in more tiered ships could be made that only the outpost would sell/trade for. The cargo that you have on your ship is your own responsibility and should be dealt with prior to the trade. That is something I would see indicators for both in context & before accepting.

Planets: This is something I am on the fence with a 50-50 notion. I like the new system, but also like the old in some respects. What I miss from the old one is the variety of different biomes per tier. Primary and secondary. That was variation. Almost random at times. But now each biome is at a specific tier of star, implying difficulty along with biome. Not sure what to make of that change, hence my 50-50 on that matter.

5. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

You also need to note that rapid-fire weapons are USELESS BEYOND MEASURE as people have inherent damage resistance depending on the planet you're on, which means more than half the time, they won't deal ANY damage to things that aren't the normal monsters.

Let me state that again for emphasis:

RAPID FIRE WEAPONS ARE CURRENTLY USELESS DUE TO HOW ARMOR WORKS.

yclatious likes this.
  6. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

I concur.
    I once had a fire gun that only did ONE damage per ht, and the burn did TEN.