1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

The only things I think is not bad is the first boss & gates. gates there has to be someway to get to the outpost, and spurs my imagination to think of why and how they are in all systems.

As for the boss, for me it was easy to keep track of where it was. The raining glowy stream of plasma balls was a nice indicator. If was not raining, it would smash attack or beam reinforcements. I rather liked the UFO battle. Still have not beaten it yet, but mainly due to lower grade weapons. Got it to half. Plus was better than it originally was in stable. Well this my take on all that.

I have to agree with most the rest, even if not disappointments to myself, still not too fond of them at the moment. Hopefully things get tuned...

2. IQ100

IQ100 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was very Happy with the Enraged Coala. Now in the new Version (Upbeat Giraffe) i had some things that i dont like. I will list it below. The bad things will be with (-) before and the good things are with (+)

The Game makes more fun with high level of Details, that is why i dont like things actualy.
    - I miss the old Hungersystem
    - I miss the Treeaxe for more fun by chope trees
    + More Foodrecipes (but without sence, since no Hunger gives)
    - Furnace now is crafting of Bars with simple clicks. Previously - how by cooking (with waiting) - it has maked more fun

Control and Menu
    + New Equipmentmenu / Toolbar (but there is a problem by selecting Slots quickly)
    - Backward movement (its realy unhandy to move Mouse permanently from left to right and other way)

Missions / Quests
    + The Outpost (realy i like the Idea with the Quests and with the Gate ... has Stargate-Charme ;) )
    - Mining Facility (The Idea is very funny and good, but by the Big-Boss, this Quest is damage by me :eek: at the 3th Round / Shoot i will die without contact to the Lasers :()

Mining
    - The Coal, Copper and Iron ores are to much now. Its very easy to get very fast very much ores.
    - Im not sure, but i feel that the Torches have now a smaller Range (veeerrrrryyyy small)
    - I miss the Pickaxe's. The new Pickaxe's are to fast broken and it gives no option to repaire it.
    - The Matter-Manipulator needs very long time for deeper Blocks how like the Magmarocks. It makes no more fun to go to the core of a Planet at this time for me
    + Now we can collect Liquid (that is a great idea that i like)

Other things
    + Collecting Bugs are fun.
    + Lights can be take on and off
    + Monster-AI (more action and better fighting)
    + S.A.I.L. (also a nice idea)
    - Players should (de-)select techs how in Enraged Coala
    - I miss the Alertsound when i'am under Water and my O2 left (How in enraged Coala)

What i still miss
    - I still miss a Pause-Key!
    - I miss a InGame-Serverlist for easy connecting to an Server
    - A Sortfunction and / or Findfunction for Inventory will also be fine.

Finally i must say that it is fine that so much stuff is comming to the game but most things from Enraged Coala i miss and i feel that the game was an reverse engineering. Miss much things from Enraged Coala and think i will later install the old Stable. :( :cry:

I hope some old things will come back in the next Stable ...

PS: Not very bad but crazy are the new hoe and the bug-net. Both very big related to the Player-Body

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    vanella likes this.
  3. Mendacium

Mendacium Industrial Terraformer

I've only just gotten off of the first planet, and so far I have really enjoyed the game. However (and i'm sure it's been mentioned), the durability and lack of repair for the mining picks is an absolute negative. I understand that the old mining system would make the first quest entirely too easy, however the inefficiency of the MM and complete fragility of the picks have definitely reduced the enjoyment of mining and exploration for me. In previous versions, I would spend most of my time digging around under the surface and exploring, however with the new patch it just seems way too much of a grind and frankly isn't that enjoyable.

Perhaps a new tech or ability can be unlocked after completing the thruster quest to allow the player to repair the mining picks or at least make them more durable?

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I admit, I've not gotten too far into the progression of Starbound yet. Essentially, I've beaten the Erchius Horror (which was a fantastic experience, by the way). Still, I've had some experiences and thoughts I'd like to share.

First, ore distribution. I knew I had to find specific ores, but I did not know where to find them. Circumnavigating around the entire starting planet, I found Coal and trees (also some crops), but no Copper or Iron, unlike past versions where you could find more than just Coal on the surface. Considering that some degree of surface minerals makes sense on an uninhabited planet, I was disappointed. So I went mining. Wow. Coal at the surface, Copper for a long way down, and then, finally, Iron. Took even longer to find a single piece of Silver, Gold and Platinum, though I kinda like how Diamond is only available near the Core. Still, the distributions need work. Possibly new ores too. Salt, for example, or zinc, tin, etc.

Second, fuel. After completing the Erchius Mining Facility mission, I decided to explore the starting solar system more, eventually winding up on the nearby moon biome. Nothing stood inbetween me and about 6 stacks of Liquid Erchius, at that point. Nothing, aside from minor user error. I only took fall damage and spike damage, both minor when you considered the number of bandages and restorative foods I had. Adding in the easy exploration (Torches without an atmosphere =/= sense)... yeah. That's a lot of pixels I saved, and a lot of free exploration. I didn't really enjoy the fact that "volatile isotope" Liquid Erchius is, basically, glowing purple water. Looks cool, but more balancing is needed. Area of effect radioactivity would be nice.

Third, the starting system. It's shared on all of my characters and, I am assuming, everyone else. It's rather boring that there is not variety in possible starting points in the universe. It's what I had expected when I started up my second character (a Novakid), only to warp down and find the same stripped-of-resources planet and base I had made with my first character (an Avian). Considering that Outpost Gates are found in (nearly?) every solar system, it shouldn't be too hard to code a random start on any harmless-level planet orbiting a given-level star.

I also like the changes made to foods and crops, but I'm still not the biggest fan of receiving plant fibre in large quantities so easily. Also, I'd like to see longer crop growth phases, as my Pearlpeas just sprout like weeds and bear Pearlpeas every three minutes or so.

I have many more thoughts, but I am also running out of time here so I will leave you with my most important feedback.

I. Love. Starbound.

5. IQ100

IQ100 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Teleport to your ship and then teleport back to the Planet and crops are grown (think it is an bug. Found it also not good and thanks that you remind me about :)