1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Grant Bordelon

Grant Bordelon Void-Bound Voyager

I haven't played Starbound in a quite a while, but the new update has me excited. A few questions/opinions so far.

1. I'm playing as a Novakin, just repaired my ship, but for the life of me, I can't find out how to fuel up my ship? Where is the fuel thingy?
    2. Found a Glitch town and bought a sword. The sword I received was different from the one I bought. Also, each time I clicked the weapon to buy it, it changed, with new stats and visuals. I assume, and correct me if I'm wrong here, that this is more or less a lottery. I *can* get the sword it shows, but it's a 1/XXX chance that I will. But, I'll always get something relatively equivalent.
    3. Why are pickaxes so bad :confused:. Seriously, I'm with the rest of you folks, make them better, make the MM worse, or just get rid of them. Also, is there even a functional difference between Copper, Silver, Gold Pickaxes? They all seem equally as bad.
    4. At the same Glitch town, a vendor wanted like 400+ pixels for food such as fruit and rice. That just seems...wrong. The sword I bought was 700+ pixels, so either the Starbound universe is suffering from a famine or the prices are wonky.
    5. Is there anything that changes beam down points yet?
    6. Read something about hunger/temperature no longer being a thing. Why do I have to hunt for food then? It is even a mission.
    7. S.A.I.L. is great. Love how they are handling missions so far. I can't comment to much into this, but so far, so good. :mwahaha:
    8. These emoticons are amazing. :lickitung::V:poke::metroid:

2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Grant Bordelon

1. Behind the captain's chair.
    2. A bug, which probably was reported.
    3. Who knows. Following the Mincraft/Terraria logic the devs put these tools in the game, but with the MM being ridiculously more powerful... Well, I don't know.
    4. Prices haven't yet been adjusted, I believe.
    5. No.
    6. Well, we still can cook and eat... Just isn't worth. (Personal opinion.)
    7. Yeah, they are!
    8. Did you hear? We have a slowpoke emoticon. :slowpoke:

3. Grant Bordelon

That's what I thought, but it just gives me the error beep when I press it.

4. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

The MM being way too good could easily be mended somewhat by making the upgrades to it significantly more difficult to obtain, and farther spaced out, though I guess the one for gathering liquids would have to be easier to obtain than the others, and not be tied into the rest of the MM upgrade tree, considering that Steel requires Oil to obtain.

Crazy big changes aren't needed to fix some of the problems with the game right now. Little fixes can do the same thing without being equal to using a ten ton nuclear warhead on an anthill.

5. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If you're talking about the "fuel thingy" is cuz you didn't fixed it yet. :cautious:

6. Grant Bordelon

I thought I did...I completed the mission requiring me to obtain 10 core fragments, which opens up the door to the cabin. I can access the chair now and fly to the planet adjacent to my starter planet, but I can't fuel up. It may just be a bug. Either that or I'm really dumb and missing something obvious. *sigh*

EDIT: Nevermind....it was the second option. I don't know what I did differently this time, but now it lets me travel to the Gate. I accept my ignorance. :(

7. That's what I did. What did you think you quoted?

Everyone should try to remain on topic.

SivCorp and HI-MAX² like this.
  8. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I first dealt with the obsidian on volcanic planets today. I found that even if your mm is not upgraded, the faster mining speed of gold/diamond drills is enough to break through in a timely fashion into the softer lower layers, which have such insane amounts of ore to bring the mm up to snuff.

You are not dealing with a planet made of obsidian (unles it is large construction you are doing), at some point it gives way.

Darklight likes this.
  9. Hednar

Hednar Aquatic Astronaut

Well, it was a bit hard. But ok. I've beat him with a sword + shield. Bandages + Meat. It took quite some time, but it wasn't too long nor was it too hard.

10. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Extreme decrease in biome variety is by far the worst change. You just have a single biome on some levels now!

Pixels becoming much more useless is also an issue.

Pity, cause Unstable has so much potential with tactical enhancements (great new energy reg system, slower backtracking, protected mission biomes), way better mining and thrilling quest system that it could provide a great experience, but lack of biome variety ruins it.

11. killajoke

killajoke Starship Captain

Because simply leaving something in the dust high and dry because "why bother" isn't really valid reasoning? All of these are tools implimented since the start of the game, given sound effects, animations.... It would be a waste. Drills feel like drills and offer a different mining experience then the MM. They hit it on the nail with drills. Mining is what you spend the most time doing in this game.. having options and preferences for doing so makes it a little less tedious, and a bit more exciting. Why should players that enjoyed a feature be kicked out the door and told "sorry there's no point in your favorite feature existing, despite it being well implimented and highly functional, and fairly valid until we removed repair and nerfed durability into the ground to make the already super matter manipulator look even better in comparisoooooooooooooon. Have a good day!" *door slammed in face*

Aeon likes this.
  12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

1. has been answered, but you will not be able to do it due to not actually completing a mission. Missions & Quests are 2 different things. The FTL Quest that leads you to a Mission is the one that fixes that. Within the solar system it costs nothing to go from planet to planet. To go from Star to Star is what FTL is for, and fuel.
    2. Bug like mentioned.
    3. I actually like what they did, but also like the old way just as much. The only thing I don't like is the durability they have, as you noticed it is too low. As to the functional difference, not much. Just a tiny bit more durability with each grade.
    4. Still probably some balancing that needs to be done. After all you can not sell stuff yet, and the farming route has not been put in.
    5. Only a bugged bit can change beam down right now. Not meant to be done in that way, but obstructing spawn point initially; like with a house or blocks around/over it, sometimes will cause spawn point to randomly be on the other side of the planet. No direct way to do it manually set the position yet.
    6. Well since farming route is not in, I believe that might be part of it. It has been mentioned that those might come back, but for the higher game modes. Normal & higher.
    7. I am enjoying that myself, although not so much on my generic AI, even if makes sense... The graphic used. (I am a floran...)
    8. ... Yes variety. lol

More or less there was mention of balancing and bug squashing, so I guess that is what is in mind beyond minor optimization tasks.... Probably will not get full optimization till they are out of stage 1, which will more likely be much much later. Only a guess.

13. Syzygy

Syzygy Big Damn Hero

The current version of Starbound has pleased me more than it has let me down. Here's the problems I currently see with the game:

1. Planet and Star system composition. Right now all planet specific biomes are locked into tiers and it is completely ruining variety. Occasionally there will be some planets that show up in a system that makes no sense e.g. a frozen moon orbiting a volcanic world right in front of a fiery sun. This is incredibly frustrating and boring. If I look at the star map I know EXACTLY what kinds of planets and what kind of biomes I will see if I go there. There's no mystery, no surprise, nothing to discover anymore. Beyond that, now only Volcanic worlds offer any sort of challenge to geared up players, giving me no reason to revisit other planets other than for resources. Any loot non-volcanic worlds can offer are so far beyond the pale I don't even bother opening random chests, all enemies die in one hit from any high tier weapon, and enemies can't even hope to do more than 1 damage per hit to the player.

2. Hunger and Exposure being removed. Why should I bother farming anymore? I can only eat 1 sandwich every, what, 3 minutes for some extremely short term buffs I will never need because there aren't any enemies hard enough to warrant buffs other than the bosses that I only fight once? It ruins the exploration element too. Used to be that venturing to an ice world or an asteroid belt required a LITTLE forethought and planning. The nanosuits are alright as a replacement, but I would rather see a system where players can upgrade their armor to resist the environment. The lack of thought or planning on the players part streamlines the exploration element too much and makes exploration much less exciting or harrowing.

3. Smelting is instantaneous. This one is a bit iffy as I know the more impatient players must enjoy it, but personally I used to feel a sense of accomplishment having set up a little smelting factory of stone furnaces in a custom built warehouse on where ever I had built my home base.

4. Asteroid belts seem to have been replaced by moons as the best source of fuel. Moons are now completely uninteresting and annoyingly omnipresent. EVERY system is guaranteed a moon now. All of them are devoid of anything interesting. All this has done is make aquiring fuel an exercise in tedium. There's no challenge in it, unless you mean to challenge my patience. This can be fixed by mixing things up a bit and adding ores and nanosuited NPC antagonists or moon-monsters. Erchium is supposed to mutate things, right? Why not have moons spawn those weird Fleshthulhu things from the first away mission. Also, not EVERY system needs a moon. It's cheap enough to get to any surrounding system on less than 1000 units of erchium, plus it's sold in infinity express at a premium, which is already a good enough punishment for players who spend their fuel unwisely. Made a massive jump to a system with no moons and ran out of fuel? Cough up some pixels buddy, or else you're stuck.

5. Guns still suck, especially now that shields are awesome. The problem lies with tying ammo to the energy bar. Gun users require distance to remain effective. Unfortunately the way things currently work means you have to choose between shooting or dashing/hovering/jumping away or getting another couple shots in, which might miss meaning wasted energy that could be used for escaping. This results in drastically higher risk for drastically reduced reward for ranged combat compared to melee, especially 1 handed weapons paired with a shield and 2 handed swords with their parry.

Alternatively, making guns operate on a separate ammo source means that a ranged character and a melee character have equal mobility except now the ranged character has all the advantages of staying at range while shooting. Suddenly guns are more powerful.

Solution: Bullets cost pixels, guns have limited clips that have an attached reload time. Ranged characters that don't want to dip in to their energy pool for ammo can equip some sort of Ammo Converter belt or backpack. Once an entire clip is expended, a predefined pixel cost is deducted from the players total pixels. The cost of reloading increases with weapon damage and fire rate. You want to kill from the safety of a long distance? Pay the price.

c2h5oc2h5 likes this.
  14. Akre

Akre Pangalactic Porcupine

Except for the part about guns, I pretty much agree with all of your points.

It's such a pity that they rejected such cool stuff like biome variety, inhabited asteroids and moons, or survival elements with cold and hunger.

c2h5oc2h5 and Hazmat like this.
  15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You fixed your normal engine's not your faster then light engines. Traveling within a starsystem no longer requires fuel, only faster then light travel (to other stars) requires fuel. You need to go to the outpost (travel to the "gate" in your system and then beam down and use it) to get the quest that gives you the material to fix the faster then light engine's (also fixes said fuel hatch).

16. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

I find the lack of Grape Juice Plus disturbing.

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I dunno about the guns, i've been able to get them to work with the shotguns and sniper rifles i got. Unles my enemy is willing to walk into a hail of sticky bullets, i'm fine, kitted out for melee anyway.

18. Tux1342

Tux1342 Big Damn Hero

Ok, I really think it's great that some people care enough to take the time to wright these giant things, but I think you are absolutly wrong, with all do respect.

"I really don't mind Starbound's art style. I really don't. I just think it needs tweaking."
    Art styles exist for a reason, people have different tastes. While you might not like it, that's not a problem with the game, it's how the artist likes it, and how many people, me included like it.

As for your "Controls" section, I really don't have much to say other than I think you are absolutly wrong, it controls well in my opinion, I have also brought this up with other people I know and in reply got a big fat "what?".

"Combat"
    I do think this part needs a little work, but I also believe that it's not awful, if they didn't change it, I wouldn't mind.

"Steel Tier:

This was where I really saw how cookie cutter these tiers are. I didn't hate this tier though. The part I want to talk about is the erichus mining facility. The mission went on far too long, and the reward felt pretty underwhelming for saving people's lives from zombies, but it wasn't bad."

I see what you are saying about progresion being more or less the same on every tier, but I completly dissagree with the second part. It took me around 15 minutes to beat the facility. I don't in any way see how that is to long, it was a cool facility to explore, and I had fun doing it. As for the chrystals being to little, I thought it didn't seem like it actually mattered if you saved them, it means literally nothing, what matters is getting to the other side and getting the chrystals. You are using the facility for mining chrystals, not saving lived. I fail to see how getting those chrystals was underwhelming.

"Titanium Tier:"

I understand what you are saying about the penguin boss being to hard, and it was a little hard, but it was very possible, and I did it on my second try after actually prepairing a bit. I would also like to point out that 200 DPS is nothing. That's half of what you should have had at that point, it's not the games/devs fault you went in uderprepared.

I would also like to point out: "is nowhere even close to finished" is a down right stupid thing to say, it's an early access game. If you were expecting any thing near completion you were greatly mistaken.

19. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

They already have taken it away, by not being able to craft them. The fact that you can find them is just a lame excuse to use old assets rather than getting rid of them. Personally, I'm tired of finding picks in chests that I will never use... it takes up space in the RNG field of things that I would rather find in those chests.

Once they made them tied to tiers, uncraftable, quickly exhausted.... there is no point now. You are just kidding yourself in using them now. ((btw, I did like using picks more, until they couldn't mine any ore))

20. killajoke

killajoke Starship Captain

I've actually been using them again recently.. There actually more usable than I thought... the method is rather annoying though. I've tried a method that one of the devs were using in their let's play.. It's that hardcore sarbound survival run that someone had posted earlier... I've been using copper pickaxes to gold pickaxes to mine and gather materials. At first I was worried I'd be killing my profits, but I'm actually sitting at a much higher count than before... I've made about thirty copper pickaxes and have about 80 copper left over.

I think I may have been a bit harsh on the pickaxes given how cheap they are and now feel they are fairly priced.. But if I could I would rather repair them rather than continually craft them over and over again. Especially given I need to place down a block, craft, break, continue. While the matter manipulator is good, the pickaxes are deceptively better until you get that upgrade for the 3x3 which is around the time you'll pick up drills. Pickaxes fit the teir requirement but our past knowledge of them and the drastic change definitely hurt the view of them...