1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

I was talking ores... not keymolds. and yes, the RNG of that was horrible.

Except you still need to re dig a mine shaft down to get to said ore.... with drills that don't last, or the mm of slowness, if your trying to break anything volcanic....

2. yclatious

yclatious Guest

U wot.

MM of slowness?Anything that aint Obsidian is dealt with in less than 5 secs, even volcanic stuff.

Did you even upgrade it?It cuts through squishy stuff like butter, way faster than Diamond Drills in Stable, and even volcanic planets are a piece of cake.

Its like ya didnt play the game.

Lintton, SleepySquidd and Darklight like this.
  3. killajoke

killajoke Starship Captain

I still find the matter manipulator to handle obsidian rather slowly, although that's comparative to the rest of the game where you mine through dirt and stone in a breeze. It isn't a snails paste but after dealing with how quickly you mine through dirt it is somewhat noticable. I started using diamond drills myself for those alone... But seeing diamond drills be nothing but a quick toss away item at higher teirs does kinda make me sad....

They just feel so nice in terms of use, I'd really prefer this to be the faster/smaller/ limited range option that doesn't need the penalty of being unreparable in comparison to the matter manipulator... I understand the idea that they want to make the matter manipulator a good tool, and it's upgrade system is worth it.. But pickaxes and drills have enough working against them as is.

They already stand to be a fairly large resource sink with repairs... Matter manipulators are great, maybe a little bit too much so, but I'd rather see the drills get some love and make those the pure alternative rather than having two tiers of seprate mining items that ALREADY GO THROUGH METAL TIERS Geeeeeze...

Drills and matter manipulators feel worlds apart already, and have a good trade off.. Why make them unrepeatable... It just pushes me to the point of filling up my clutter bag with drills rather than give them up... I don't mind spending diamonds given I just happen upon them and have 200+ of them sitting in my inventory normally... Please starbound team recharable drills with batterypacks that use the new ship fuel for battery acid...

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  4. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Eh, I can see Drill lovers being a bit bummed out with the nerf but honestly, is it really worth it?

Here ya have a free, upgradeable utility machine, capable of fast diging in a decent area, and with the ability to see wich blocks are selected (huge for mining), and wich cant either break or be lost.

Plus, its a high tech tool, possibly even industrial, due to its liquid storage ability, and robust design.Heck, its colour scheme even seems like something Erchius miners would use.

You could buff drills, but honestly, lets face it, why not have somethign a bit more fun?Mix up some Solarium, platinum, Gold and maybe some Rubium, and make yerself a Particle Destabilizer!

Like a WH40K Power Glove energy field added to a drill!

Serenity likes this.
  5. killajoke

But that's just it.. It feels weird to have this tool for free from the get go, when it outdoes anything that you can make later in the game. There's literally nothing that can compete against it... It's amazing that it's so universally useful, being able to see ores,mine so quickly, and suck up liquids? It's wonderful, and honestly wouldn't trade it or wish for it to be nerfed...

It's just starbound tried to incorporate so many different approaches into the game. Making any one way clear cut and straight up better hurts it, and players that may like the other flavors feel shorted and may even give up on their path because it's proven that something is clearly better.. Drills have a great starting point for being different in terms of mechanics. But it's up against the multi tool, dream tool of the future handed to you from the moment you get out... You just glance over the other options, try them out and ask "Why the hell am I faffing with this, when my multi tools can do this ten times faster, and doesn't break the wrong ore type!?"

from a game standpoint it just feels weird we get given the super tool off the bat, and yet instructed to make other tools clearly worse. Not only that, but that other tools exist and they are hidden by a progression line that is longer than that of the matter manipulators. I just feel like it needs a good long look in the face, weighing the options, and balancing them a bit more fairly. The idea behind pickaxes is fairly decent, but perhaps to strict and configuration.. For something that never can be repaired it should have a longer lifetime. The point inwhich your matter manipulator catches up isn't too far behind. But the drills are worlds apart from either option.

But the idea of a particle destablizer sounds really neat too... Imagine another mining option near the end of the game, a beam tool that has a fairly decent charge time.. But it digs through blocks instantly up to a range of thirty blocks per pulse.. Hold up the charge PEWEWEWEWEEW a fairly decent mine maker, something without the control and precission of the matter manipulator.. You pick a direction and fire! It's something that's somewhat teduis but extremely effective for moving massive amounts of earth quickly, but for the finesse of just picking out an ore vein you switch to something else.

6. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Matter Manipulators should use some kind of energy or fuel...

*receiving punches from everyone in 5 seconds*

7. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

There are so many things wrong with what you said that I'm inclined to believe you're just trying to stir up people.

The ONLY way this could even remotely work as an idea is if each upgrade or "level" of the Matter Manipulator required energy, but the weakest one you start with didn't.

8. ShamanMcLamie

ShamanMcLamie Big Damn Hero

The one thing I think they need to get rid of on matter manipulators is the light. Until I fully upgraded a lot of times when mining the only reason I used the matter manipulator, over tools like the faster mining drills and pickaxes was it had a light to see what was around.

EDIT: Or better yet it should be one of the last upgrades you get.

9. HI-MAX²

I'm not, Sir. As already stated above several times, this is a tool that makes several other useless. Many have tried to argue about improving the other tools (and failed), I'm going the opposite way. A little nerf, if you prefer.

Btw, it was offensive.

ShamanMcLamie likes this.
  10. ShamanMcLamie

It might make all the Coal and Oil that becomes pretty useless later in game continue to be useful.

EDIT: Maybe when it runs out of Fuel it doesn't stop working, but it's mining ability is reduced significantly. Slower mining, covers less tiles. It's so if you run out of fuel you aren't helpless to get coal and oil.

MysticMalevolence and HI-MAX² like this.
  11. HI-MAX²

Nice one, it seems quite fair!

If the other tools weren't two-handed tools we could use them with flashlights or even weapons too. But I'm not sure about it seems fair or not.

12. Lintton

Lintton Guest

that is a ridiculous idea. As in it is bad.

The mm still requires resources from each pf the tiers to make, and they are generally more expensive but permament advances compared to the cheaper pick and drill.there are not enough situations or content where the mm could be only for the liquid collect. People were asking for the mm to have a point, as pickaxes and drills look jarring when superior to modern technology, in a futuristic setting. Now it has one. Taking that helpfullness away and making it a part time paperweight will nothing to benefit the experience.

Its obvious that drills and pickaxes are not supposed to be a permanent tool, but they are good to get you where you want to be right now.

13. ShamanMcLamie

Are you sure you read it right
    Are you sure you read the post right? I never even use the word Liquid. I was talking about the Manipulators LIGHT which I think should go, or better yet pushed to a later upgrade. Have you noticed that when you point a matter manipulator it lights up the blocks that it can reach even if they should technically be in pitch black darkness. That is a big reason I opted for it over faster pick axes and drills sometimes.

14. Lintton

Lintton Guest

And i think your suggestion is a bad idea, as that light is helpful in literally all areas of game progression. Mining blind is not going to make pickaxes better, it is only going to make mining worse.

15. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

You know, we don't really NEED Pickaxes and drills.
    They could easily be removed (though drills would make neat weapons).

16. SivCorp

Which would be fine with me. Just remove the alternatives if you are going to gimp those said alternatives into oblivion. Pull the trigger, put the issue to bed.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  17. killajoke

Drills are really nice though and I prefer mining with them over the matter manipulator... They were just so smooth <3 I'd rather see them get repairing back... Given that durability for them was nerfed a fair bit, it would be a decent resource sink.

18. Bring it down a few notches, guys. There is a ridiculous amount of reports over this thread for little to no reason.

HI-MAX² and SleepySquidd like this.
  19. HI-MAX²

"Remove", the answer to everything. :lolwut:

Yeah, play a game under development can be a really disturbing experience in my view. I mean, many of us were spoiled with some stuff that can be removed/nerfed in the future or not... The questions are, what will... And why?

20. SivCorp

So, people are reporting things that shouldn't be reported? Strange... perhaps they should be warned for false reporting.

Oh, I like having the option of hand mining as well... but if that option is going to simply be nerfed into the ground (hehe puns), why should it even exist? I think many of us where fine with the pickax options and having to repair/rebuild them, so long as they would work well. But as they are now... why bother?

Aeon, HI-MAX² and Pingeh like this.