1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Upbeat Giraffe Disappointments

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ethanciavo, Dec 23, 2014.

1. TLN

TLN Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, there seems to be serious hype train going on! What to do, what to do...

Dissapointment is really wrong word. Everyone who says that current beta build "Upbead Giraffe" is bad should go and play their CoD or BF2 or whatever, because they seems to miss previous beta builds, never played Terraria or Minecraft and have no idea what sandbox games suppose to be. And I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. it just simply feels like all disagreement goes from false perspective of what this game suppose to be.

Progression improved in many many ways. Before in Koala it's been just too easy to reach final gear tier, bosses are simple to fight even with crappiest weapons, and only good thing there is that you've been able to easily explore planets for things you want or build stuff at your heart desire, whatever you would want to make.

Now progression takes much longer time, but not because of grind or something. It's really easy to gather materials as long as you familiar with actual game mechanics. Maybe bit time-consuming, but it's worth it anyway, and it's not much of time in whole of all progression. Most of progression now filled with ACTUAL CONTENT.

We're doing quests, exploring universe on purpose, moving to some point which we not yet know. Talking with characters. Sure, not much more content actually, but still that should be more than enough. Missions are good. Bosses are also good - you can no longer just build yourself small bunker and kill everything from it, not even moving a slightest bit. You need to learn strategy for fight, you need to get prepared. Bosses are easily beatable with crafted equipment of your current tier, and really fun to do. Same with missions. What are you complaining about? Can you just turn your brains on and overthink strategies of actions on quests, missions and bosses?

And battles in the wild are also just fine. They don't need to be some sort of advanced warfare, with QTE dodges and all other sutff. They meant to be simple, as in the wild you mainly will be gathering resources or building stuff. What to complain about? Or someone wants to build their house in the middle of war battlefield, where fight rages and burns with fire???

Mini-bosses also called that way on purpose. They found in the wild, drops are random, and they're simply large mobs. As they don't meant to be anything else. What's the point to complain? Or someone wants all world to be overfilled with ACTUAL bosses, like Dreadwing?

From all the things I really love the game, as I loved it then I first got into it. Only thing that I want to be fixed is better optimisation, so it won't be overloading my not so new CPU, but in overall I really enjoy playing current Unstable build.

Tamorr likes this.
  2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Errrr... I feel that the title reflects exactly the opposite of what the content transmits but... :iswydt: Keep it up, bro.

3. Milan Mree

Milan Mree Ketchup Robot

I hate this. Skills tied to your ammo has been plaguing me since the moment it was implemented. Unless they plan on adding a quick energy restore I'm always going to bitch about how badly balanced this game is. Sure I can just double jump and smack him 10 times with my melee and spam bandages, but there's a reason terraria did away with spamming health items.

Energy sucks as ammo even if it's improved in this version.

Edit: Abilities tied to ammo = Bad

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    Aeon, MindsEye, LethalShade and 2 others like this.
  4. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

The only disappointment for me is just the beam down bug. To be honest though I haven't done the ranged weapon thing yet so I don't know how that feels for me.

5. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

I always forget to, just like I forget that we can block. :p

6. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I would love to gather materials in order to make ammunition for my guns.

RyuujinZERO, MindsEye and HI-MAX² like this.
  7. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

that would be a nice alternative. :)

8. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

What was their reason for making guns based off energy rather than ammunition? I thought I saw something a while back about it. I wish they'd use Ammo or something though, and if it was an inventory space problem, just give us like 3 extra ammo-restricted slots like in Terraria.

HI-MAX² likes this.
  9. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Except Starbound has many more ammot types and gun types so those three slots get multiplied with gun variation. A big fat NO to ammunition items

10. Ariskelis

Ariskelis Ketchup Robot

I could live with only having ammo as basic; Rifle ammo, Rocket Launcher ammo, Pistol ammo, etc. etc. and having the gun determine what actually come out of the barrel, something akin to Borderlands.

11. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

Sorry, TL;DR the whole thread, but this here is somethin that came up very often in other threads, and I'm sure it came up multiple times in this one, too.

Grind is never good. Nobody plays for the grind. You either play because the reward for the grind is really nice (e.g.: WoW), or because the game managed to embed the grind into something worthwhile (e.g.: Minecraft with its cave exploration, including abandoned mine shafts).

I do beliebe making the mining more fun is a wonderful idea. It should not be easy, but nor should it be a mindless grind of holding a button. Boredom is never good (by the same token, a boss that "isn't hard, just needs waiting" is not a good gaming experience.

Having interesting caves, quest givers, built stuff underground, chance to find rare objects underground and also making mining itself more interesting (robotic assistance, the need to not only mine, mine, mine, but to establish a well-run mine with NPCs, certain elements) would be great.
    I'm not saying to do away with the game element of mining to get raw materials. But pointing out that this element might be a little on the boring side is very valid, I believe.

Aeon and Madzai like this.
  12. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Exactly. A lot of people kind of expect Starbound to break free from boring and greening mining plaguing the part of sandbox genre both in 2-d like Terraria, Crea, EoS, etc and in 3-d like Minecraft, Starforge, Planet Explorers and other. Grinding, especially grinding for the sake of grinding, like you literally have to mine a lot to progress further, (and not to get something exceptional as you mentioned) is always bad. I people had a feeling that SB going to replace said grinding progression though mining (or collecting) with progression through exploring - studying local wildlife, geology, collecting knowledge about planets, universe, different civilization and after exploring a lot to use results of it for the stuff we usually do in similar sandbox game? automated mining or making NPC to do it, f.e.
    But right now not only sandbox is very lacking thanks to outpost and very gated quest system, mining is more grindy and boring than in EoS. We waited for a year for improved underground, but nothing interesting came out yet, and in given Starbound game mechanics where is nothing much that could be actually added, besides cosmetic biomes, to make underground interesting.

Aeon and teilnehmer like this.
  13. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

Not a bad thing to me, Starbound's development is still in phase 1. I'm hoping that the next stable update will end at being an excellent platform for the next two phases, which will definitely lead to fleshed out features and mechanics. But to make it clear, I am not interested in relying hugely on player created content to make up for a finished game, i.e. Spacebase DF-9.

---

Mining will always be boring at some point, you're going to be digging through a lot of dirt and stone before you can get to anything interesting, or get what you need. But yeah, as others said, upgrading from player based mineral acquisition, to player maintained automated mining would be great for Starbound; in Minecraft and Terraria, we're constrained to one world and the set limits of technology, but in Starbound there's the possible chance we can become the exploiters of a world!

Though, think aside from lava and falling... Could we add explosive gas pockets the deeper we get into a planet? Time to switch to safer electric lighting...

---

Anyone know why we can't sell anything in the Starbound-verse?

gameboytj likes this.
  14. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

Yeah I know, we should be able to sell our excess food and resources for pixels.

15. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Theres no set definition for alpha and beta in game development. Every studio uses its own definition for those two terms.

So while it may be a alpha by your definition that dosent realy mean much since the devs and anyone else may use a different definition.

One common definition is that it moves from alpha to beta once every key feature is included. However the devs themself choose whats considered a key feature (it may be the very basics like movement and combat or/and building). So by that common definition it can be considered a beta depending on the devs views on key features.

Tamorr likes this.
  16. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

I recall one of the devs mentioning that they wanted to avoid the whole "HERE'S A PILE OF WEAPONS LOOTED FROM MY ENEMIES, GIMME MY GOLD". I think that can be circumvented by having different grades of buyers or something.

Individual buyers - Pay top dollar for specific items, mini-quests.
    Stores - Pay dirt cheap for items, they want you to buy from them, not from you!
    Bulk - Pay for a large number of items, not for a trickle.

17. gameboytj

gameboytj Ketchup Robot

There has to be a way to sell excess food though. Otherwise it will just clutter up our storages. :(

18. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Farming is one of the three planned progression path's. (Eventually you should be able too progress in this game trough exploration/combat or building/renting or farming/breeding).

So its very likely you will have use for said food items later on.

19. DSMK2

DSMK2 Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah, hence sell a ton, or sell none at all; farm just for yourself, for farm for a galaxy. Would be nice if you could sell dirt and stone for interstellar landscapers; bonus points for certain colors of dirt, and varieties of rock. Now that could make keeping all that mining byproducts interesting. There's a lot that can be expanded on :party:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  20. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

This, dear Madzai, touches on something that seems spot on. There's a word for it, too, this interconnectedness of different gameplay elements that leads to a sense of belonging-together... can't find the word right now. But that would be great. You need to mine to help you explore, and then by exploring you gain access to stuff (technology, support, workers) that helps you mining.

I guess this will come for the building/ renting path. Having cool items in your buildings will surely raise the rent. If farming (I found a UV-beacon! Yay!) and mining (is this a shoveldroid you got here?) could benefit from exploration like that, we'd really have something here.

I really love the broad area of your ideas. Local wildlife, geology... and these could all be entwined. "Wait, these moles that I'm killing go mostly through this yellow tinged dirt. I should analyze that! ... Oh my! They have sulfurophile teeth - I could copy that for a very fast and sturdy pickaxe, now I just need some more mole teeth (quest)".

Tamorr likes this.