1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Unstable]Shields are too OP!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ZestalCores, Dec 26, 2014.

1. ZestalCores

ZestalCores Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It seems that when you raise your shield, it has a second of complete invulnerability before being vulnerable to damage.

Here's the problem, I discovered this earlier and it seems that I am able to rapidly raise my shield and have the same effect, effectively making me invulnerable at all times.

This has a great impact on the combat system that you have implemented, making shields extremely overpowered.

Now, my one suggestion to fix this is to make the player lose energy when you initially raise your shield making it a stupid idea to raise it repeatedly, and then disable the shield when your energy reserves run out.

I just thought I would share this little discovery in hopes that you can fix this in due time.

Mister Green likes this.
  2. Wyvern

Wyvern Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Perfect guard is a little bit overpowered for several reasons.

The first, obvious problem is that you can arbitrarily block through anything. No matter how big the attack, an explosion, a missile, a lightning strike, wind. Just raise that shield. What needs to happen is that perfect guarding's utility be restricted. It can't be a cure-all to life's troubles. Of course, this means that attacks that can be perfect guarded and attacks that can't need to be visually distinct somehow.

The other problem is that the window for a perfect guard is huge. They really ought to tighten it a bit.

I don't think that requiring energy for a guard is a good thing. First, I already have enough shit draining my energy bar; I don't need one more. Second, there's no actual justification for it. All I'm doing is raising my arm. Why would that consume my magic space energy, a source of energy that can be used to manufacture matter (bullets) our of pure energy?

3. Jellypuff

Jellypuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, on the flip-side, with Sword and Shield, you have the lowest range and medium damage.
    But yeah, 2 or 3 frames less on the perfect guard would still be a good idea, considering, that it's not punishing, if you mess up, unless you're out of shield health.

I wanna see a buff to the 2H block on weapons that can do that. If i block with them, i'm stuck with holding up my weapon for the duration of the "riposte".
    Solution: If you call this "riposte", then let me actually riposte right away after a sucessful block for increased damage. Of course, if no attack has connected/blocked, you can't leave the riposte stance by attacking and have to wait for the stance to be over.

4. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, the shield could cost energy if it it were to create a force field all the way around the player that blocked damage from all directions instead of just the front...

5. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I think shields are perfectly fine. They just make everything else look underpowered in comparison.

cooltv27 likes this.
  6. KrilltheKill

KrilltheKill Title Not Found

That's literally what overpowered means...
    Well, anyways, I think that the shield system is broken... But only if you're playing PvP is that it makes it unfair. Consider this: You're in the middle of the wild, a bunch of monsters/enemies are all around you and they attack from every direction at the same time, I think you need the perfect parry the shit out of that, for real. So the only thing to fix is over the PvP, exclusively the PvP part. Maybe when a player hits your shield it cannot perfect parry the next attack and will receive the normal shield damage, as Wyvern said, there's just too much stuff that drain your energy that having one more would require to buff the energy quite a little, and that would affect the whole combat system as a whole.

7. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

I've been using shields constantly and not once felt them be overpowered. If I get too comfortable with them and get swarmed by mobs, I end up not being able to time the perfect block every time they swing at me and I get hit or break my guard. Fighting one or two mobs, maybe you can time it right and not get hit once, but that's what shield is for. I seriously doubt when fighting bosses or higher level mobs, or more than 2, you'd be able to time it right 100% of the time.

8. ZestalCores

ZestalCores Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The problem I'm saying here is about the perfect block being overpowered seeing as you can just spam click it and it'll make you invincible for as long as you do it.

9. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Oh, okay, I misunderstood that. I wasn't aware there was no grace period between the perfect blocks. I agree then.

10. Esrevinue

Esrevinue Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, you'd need a one handed sword and that can be awkward doing the little damage you do. But you should receive a penalty for raising the shield or something along the lines of that, otherwise you can still win a fight unharmed, only it has taken longer.

11. Relydukno

Relydukno Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a solution:

Don't do that.

Problem solved.

12. Apple Juice

Apple Juice Pangalactic Porcupine

Cough Multiplayer Cough

KrilltheKill likes this.