1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

unofficial Starbound survey: furniture mechanics

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by HaxorusXD, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HaxorusXD

HaxorusXD Aquatic Astronaut

2. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

survey was fine and readable... Of course I just marked closest to my answer...

Like the first one about detail; I do that but I am unsure if it is NPC favorite... Unless you mean to what race the NPC is; being themed accordingly. Technically either way I Place what I think works well together and see what NPC shows up. :nuruhappy:

3. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Nice little survey! I definitely want the ability to plant/create non-craftable objects like roots, plant fibres, mushrooms... Right now I'm working on an underground city and trying to preserve as many of those mushroom vines and little shrooms as I can for ambiance. It's a pain tho because it's really easy to break them! I also like the stumps and plants in the swamp biomes. Wish I could create/place them too.

Mythril-Jelly likes this.
  4. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There needs to be an extension to the Foraging table that allows us to craft all of those little decorative environmental objects.

I know someone already made a mod that adds a custom table for crafting stuff like the breakable pots and those little decorations. I don't know what it's called though.

Mythril-Jelly and ladyKAE like this.
  5. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

There is a mod that let's you copy those elements and past them again on any surface. It's a bit limited on what it can copy, but works great. Lookup deco mod

6. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Being able to print more items would make filling structures up more fun and you can still sell of the extra stuff.

I'm someone who like to grab all the furnishings in a dungeon and sell them off, but I like to keep some things for later use, its just annoying that after I scan and sell something, I realize that I can't make more of it when I want to decorate (like putting the vending machines out for NPCs).

krylo likes this.
  7. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, yes, yes.

Ever been flustered when you're building in a theme and most of the décor is unobtainable? I'm building a zoo, and Toxic worlds trees have no saplings, barrels and oshrooms drop nothing, the plants have no drops, and the rusty blocks drop regular rust blocks instead. So half the biome is unobtainable, in the case of the trees and bushes it seems you can't even spawn them with admin commands.

8. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Nice survey !

About the way to obtain themed furniture, I'm pretty sure there must be a game mechanics that doesn't rely entirely on random, but is funnier than directly buy stuff. Since pixels tends to stack quickly on endgame, that would kill some of the interest in going to new planets.
    Mmh, let's give it a try (I don't have an extensive knowledge of existing mods, so someone may have done something close already, I don't know)...

There could be a sort of unlocking plans at Frog furnishing or a similar store at the outpost, when you accomplish a pre-defined series of actions. That would make it server-side, but hey, it's also fun to unlock things together.
    - Imagine that the store owner tells you to bring him a certain amount of rainbow wood to unlock the rainbow furniture door recipe, etc. (that could be the actual components required to craft the thing, or anything else that sounds cool).
    - That would be even cooler if the amount could even be tweaked by the admin to scale with the number of players registered, so that it's not done in five minutes by a hundred players on big servers. For those who have played Wow, think of the massive AQ doors opening event.
    - The mechanics encourages the players to visit planets and to farm, it can add hours of gameplay for those who want everything, but it's not pure random based on rare stuff. It's far easier to get rainbow wood than finding the required chest, and the player has a clear grasp on the goal.
    - The whole list of obtainable furnitures would have to be available at the store to avoid falling into random again. That kind of breaks the surprise of how many things are obtainable, but there are still lots and lots of things to discover based on random discovery, so I don't think it's such a big deal.

What do you guys think of something like this ?

And yeah apart from that, I totally agree with the previous posts regarding the non-craftable objects, it would be awesome to have a recipe, a seed, a plan, whatever to be able to get them.

As a final note : making blueprints purchasable at their own merchant... is it really possible ? How is the tenant supposed to spawn if you don't already have at least 3 of its own furniture ? So you could buy blueprints... once you already have them ? There might be something I don't get here in the way that works.

9. Mariel141

Mariel141 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, I often run into a problem where I get one or two item blueprints over and over again. I can just fill a room with chairs and spawn the right NPC, but it doesn't look very good. It would be nice to have some way to get the specific blueprint you want. Maybe we could make blueprints rarer, but you only ever find ones that you don't already have the recipes for?

Another option would be a blueprint vendor with a randomized daily assortment of items. You could check it daily to see if it has anything you need and sometimes pick up one of those missing pieces.

10. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Oh ok I see, thank you for clarifying :)
    Mmh, if I understand correctly how the universe generation works, changing the recipes found according to what the player already has would not be that easy, and would not adapt well if several players visit the same planet on a multiplayer server.

As for giving random blueprints to Frogg or another vendor, it would work, but I'm not sure it's really fun to wait and check everyday. There's finally the same problem as today, if the available blueprints are picked at random you can wait for the missing ones forever.