1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Universe File Change from .dat to .fail after PC Crash

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by The Killing Jay, Jul 26, 2016.

1. The Killing Jay

The Killing Jay Void-Bound Voyager

Hi,

Pretty sure I'm posting in the right place, I'm having issues with my game saves. Been playing a lot with a friend recently on the 1.0 update, and this is the first time I've run into an issue this bad.

Today my friend and I were playing multiplayer via steam for several hours. Suddenly my PC completely freezes up, screen frozen and no inputs working at all. I did what I had to do and manually forced my PC to shut down.

Why did my PC freeze up so bad? I have no idea. I'll post my specs below, but I will say here I did have another game open, rimworld, taking up a sizeable chunk of my 16gb of RAM. I usually benchmark my PC states when different games are running, so I don't think it was my CPU either. Initially I passed it off as an overheat issue, as I moved my PC to a different location today and I had to readjust my CPU fan. I don't know what crash logs would be relevant to this issue.

I will say my SSD had run out of memory apparently, as 2 hours later I logged in to find 7mb available out of 120gb. I don't know enough about SSD's to know if that would cause a crash. I had litterally just cleaned it out several gb last week. (FYI, Game is installed on a different HDD, not the SSD).

I took a break for several hours after that crash, and came back to find that my character would no longer show up at all in the game menu. My friend and I freaked out a bit, started troubleshooting. We found my characters just fine, bakups and all. Having no idea what else to do, I moved the original player out of the folder and changed .bak1 to original player. The difference between backup and normal was about 3 hours,.(but my main issue is that I had JUST colonized a whole planet and moved everything I held dear to the surface.)

This loaded somewhat of an unstable world, where my ship was en route to a planet, but not using my remaining fuel; the planet mentioned was my original spawn planet, that I left behind some time ago. Another strange occurrance, besides the fact my character was 3 hours behind, was that my Floran Crewmate had somehow found a twin brother and moved him in without my knowledge. Other than that, the ship was as I left it.

The ship file was at 3:35 PM, the time I assume my PC crashed; same as my ship file 3:35 PM. After this my friend figured out where the universe was saved; there we discovered what I believe is the source issue: 3 files types ended in "FAIL". The times were 3:35 PM

These files are currently named as such:
    universe.dat.1469504449148.fail
    dc4866664cc1687c95ee0d2603ce0aba.clientcontext.1469505990299.fail
    2eccbf2599e56ffda36eca860bf6dfa2.clientcontext.1469505824413.fail

A string of numbers appeared when the file type changed for reasons I don't understand.
    Changing the file name/type resulted in my character not showing up again. One world file is timed 3:35 PM, presumably my colony world. Moving this out had no affect on the game loading.

That's the gist of it. Any way I can fix this?

tl;dr
    PC crashed, universe files seemingly corrupted, file type changed to .FAIL Any fix?

PC specs:
    RAM: 16GB
    GPU: GTX 960
    CPU: AMD FX-8320E
    Storage:
    120GB SSD
    2TB HDD
    1TB HDD
    Mobo: MSI Gaming 970