Unintended Speedrun

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chlorruption, Oct 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Chlorruption

Chlorruption Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Rolled up a Forest map to try it out the other day. (Love it)

By midwinter of first year, half the dang community center was unlocked. Now if I'm fortunate with a few fishing bundles and can top off a million g by year end, This'll be the first time I don't have to retry grandpa's evaluation. :D

CjBeats likes this.
    • CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

Nice. It's probs just cause after the first go around you've got the skills to be the very best and can just do anything and everything without much trouble anymore.

Chlorruption likes this.
      • Chlorruption

Yes and no. There's a lot of RNG in like the quality crops bundle/exotic forage/animal goods. First year at least. Five gold (edit) PARSNIPS FFS is hard to get in year 1.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
          CjBeats likes this.
        • Kickz

Kickz Space Penguin Leader

I'm usually able to get everything in the community center done, bar the red cabbage first year. The main reason for this is that the game don't really lay any solid goals besides the community center, so it tends to be my main focus. Not trying to take away from your achievement though, congrats on your own personal victory. It always feels good when you push the bar a little when you never intended to. I agree that RNG tends to play a big role in it. For example if I got a red cabbage from the traveling cart I could probably luck the final few items within the first week of winter. Or if I got a rabbits foot from the vendor I could just not worry about that last coop upgrade.

CjBeats likes this.
          • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Do you mean parsnips or melons? Because cauliflower aren't involved in the quality bundle. (That said.... Gold Star Melons *shakes fist at them*)

• Chlorruption

Totally meant parsnips. I'm at work so the brain is frazzled. Details.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
              • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Ah. Parsnips are very RNG to get if you wanna do them the first year, yeah. (Also, I wasn't trying to sound accusatory, was just wondering which was guilty for your troubles.)

• Chlorruption

Yeah nah don't sweat that. Anyhoo, the melons aren't usually trouble because I tend to make enough money by summer 1 to go for broke on melon seeds. Win by attrition.

sabrinatw likes this.
                  • Kickz

Parsnips are the worse. I try to plant little as possible. The amount of energy you use to raise them does not reflect the returns at all.

• Chlorruption

Only a 4-day turn around though.

• Kickz

Yeah but you gotta consider all the other cost as well. The profit for spending 4 days of watering a field of parsnips is only 15 coins per plant. Then you gotta take into account the energy cost, which is about 1 cast of a fishing rod which would net you at least 2x the profit of parsnip. Then these's the opportunity cost, watering a large field of crops takes time that you can be using for other things like mine crawling, fishing, and foraging around the map.

• Chlorruption

That's so much more in-depth than I wish to get. :p Once something starts feeling like a job, I no longer find it fun.

• Kickz

Yeah like watering parsnips :(

Edit: but like that minimum wage job with long hours and terrible working conditions

• Jillybean

Jillybean Seal Broken

Oh noes! and I messed up yesterday, accidentally selling 3 gold parsnips that would have completed the 5 needed :( (no wasn't last thing put in shipping box unfortunately)

Chlorruption likes this.
                              • Kickz

:nurusad: I'm sorry for your loss

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Good thing you don't need them then. It's three of: parsnips, melons, corn, pumpkins. Can be done before the end of Summer with Parsnips, Melons, and early Corn.

I generally plant the parsnips and melons in batches of 40, with regular fertilizer from all the sap that has no real other use, and at least 16 corn at the beginning of summertime, also on fertilizer.

• Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

It is nice when RNG lets things work out I still need three items as I was taking my time probably could have taken more time,

Chlorruption likes this.
                                    • Chlorruption

Already addressed the mixup. And I'm not disciplined enough to keep count of my plantings ;x

• gummywyrms

gummywyrms Pangalactic Porcupine

You can, but it's so incredibly hard... I only somehow managed the parsnips, and they're the easiest since they grow so fast. The melons refused to be good enough, hopefully I'll be able to finish the corn and get enough pumpkins in fall... :/

Half of the problem is getting the farming skill high enough, at least for me. I don't really enjoy farming, so I sort of refuse to plant a lot until I have quality sprinklers, on top of the fact that it can be hard to make money in the first season (I think I literally spent every last penny on seeds in the first season).

• Jillybean

Jillybean Seal Broken

Do you not enjoy fishing either? That's a great money-maker.