Undertale

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zetlin97, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Lithium

Lithium Subatomic Cosmonaut

What is Undertale about? I haven't looked up videos on it as to not spoil the story, and it has gotten pretty popular, so I was wondering if I should get it or not.

I came across Undertale when my Homestuck friends were talking about it. So I searched it in Google Images and it looked like a bad game, am I a fool for making this first assumption?

Don't get me wrong, I could care less about graphics. But will it give me"The Feels"? Is the story immersive and gripping?

Please tell me, and be honest.[DOUBLEPOST=1451483403][/DOUBLEPOST]What is Undertale about? I haven't looked up videos on it as to not spoil the story, and it has gotten pretty popular, so I was wondering if I should get it or not.

I came across Undertale when my Homestuck friends were talking about it. So I searched it in Google Images and it looked like a bad game, am I a fool for making this first assumption?

Don't get me wrong, I could care less about graphics. But will it give me"The Feels"? Is the story immersive and gripping?

Please tell me, and be honest.[DOUBLEPOST=1451483525][/DOUBLEPOST]*Sorry about the copy, it wasn't ment to be.

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Yes. It is definitely my game of the year.

3. Lithium

I've heard this many times, but why?

4. Bonabopn

Because the plot is interesting, the humour is good and the characters are lovable.

5. Lithium

Oh, ok.

I also heared there was a twist in the gameplay, different from your classic 2D rpg.

6. Bonabopn

There is, but i find it's best to experience it firsthand.

7. Lithium

Is there a demo?

8. Bonabopn

9. Brassqund

Brassqund Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

One thing about the demo:
    It doesn't represent that much of the game...
    At first, the game seem light and pretty... basic but you can only see how deep it is once you are far enough in the game.

Anyways...
    I will put my steam review because that resume the game pretty well:
    (NO SPOILER)

+Unique and lovable characters
    +Great humour
    +Great music
    +Classic RPG + bullet hell combat system
    +You can do the game by killing everyone
    +You can do the game without killing
    +Can use an "ACT" and "MERCY" actions to deal with enemies without violence
    +The fight command change a little depending of your weapon (not a lot, sadly)
    +Even if light at first, there is a deep story
    +Three different ends with each a different final boss
    +Difficulty depend of how you play:
    Pacifist: medium
    Neutral: Between medium to easy depending of you LV
    Genocide: Really hard bosses
    +Play with your feels
    +Play with your head
    +Open for your own theories about some stuff

-Pixel (I don't mind but some can)
    -No voice acting
    -Could make you totally addicted to it even when the game is finished for a long time

Phaena and Crossfang like this.
  10. Bonabopn

You say (NO SPOILER), but then you still spoil some of it.
    Part of the point of the genocide playthrough is playing upon your morbid curiosity. "What happens if you kill everyone?" you ask yourself, and the game highlights how effed up that is. Simply by telling them that there is way to complete the game without fighting, or it's possible to kill everyone, is technically a spoiler; you're telling them that the game is expecting you to try one of those options.
    Really, the less said about the game, the more of an effect the moral of the game has.

LOL BALL likes this.
  11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

here we are, forums about another game, talking about ANOTHER game, even after the forums were nuked, posting gifs and probably just our own assumptions about plot points, so theres spoilers everywhere, there IS a demo of it, like it was mentioned above, the characters are loveable (just google Undertale fanart, the place is stuffed with it) everything is so well fleshed out, even bystanders have interesting interactions, the game remembers what you do, even in past playthrus, but thats not the biggest thing in Undertale but its story, experience it all or just a couple routes...

the combat is not simple or boring, in fact... it gets really complicated after a while, worthy of note... if you are like me and love bullet hell games, it wont be too punishing except from time to time, altho I ve seen some people really struggle agaisnt some enemies, I wouldnt call the fights unfair, and there is always a way to beat them WITHOUT fighting, sometimes even in one turn (given you do the right things in battle)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Apathy Applied likes this.
  12. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

[​IMG]

this is freaking glorious xD

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    Phaena and Apathy Applied like this.
  13. Lithium

I just finished the demo...

... and I need this in my life. :wot:

Zetlin97 and Corraidhín like this.
  14. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

You are in for one hell of a ride :p

... or maybe you are going to have a bad time

LOL BALL likes this.
  15. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Dont you just LOVE this guy??? even his boss fight is hilarious :rofl:
    [​IMG]

16. Cinetix

Cinetix Orbital Explorer

I bought Undertale and is difficult
    Chara is the true name

Corraidhín likes this.
  17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I wonder how many people realize that "Chara" is probably short for "Character" lol.

Corraidhín likes this.
  18. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

I noticed that the whole time, and yet nobody has ever noticed this.

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I tried my best to find any relation as of why would it be character... or any other word, it keeps reminding me of "Schala" from CT

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Isn't there a letter limit to name length in-game? 5-letter limit maybe? Or maybe 6-letter limit and Charac wouldn't look right?