1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Under the Outpost

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MysticMalevolence, Dec 28, 2014.

1. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Using admin mode and rocket boots, I flew about the underside of the outpost. Long story, better if you didn't ask why.

To my surprise, there was a small ledge with a room around the middle of it. In the room was a bed, a cargo container, and two lights.
    In the room was also a human (maybe an apex?) in a demon mask, who asked me to do a quest for him in exchange for his demon mask.
    I'm fairly certain nobody in their right mind would attempt this with rocket boots and a grapple gun, not knowing there was a quest there, so I'm going to assume this is a secret quest you didn't know about. Especially since you can fall endlessly if you mess up.

Why is there a secret quest under the outpost? Any idea?

Under the Outpost.png

EDIT: Surprisingly easy to get there with a grapple gun.

2. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

3. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

I would assume its to reward your exploring.

4. SleepySquidd

SleepySquidd Tragically Magic Hands

Like the others said, it's mainly to reward you for exploring. If you give him 10 climbing rope he'll give you his mask as a reward. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me

The | Suit likes this.
  5. Consumer of Souls

Consumer of Souls Big Damn Hero

Uhh... I was quick to find out that this particular asteroid-dweller was not too bothered about falling straight down into space...

[​IMG]

6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

@EvilDylan182 You are amazing! Finding this after days when no one else did, is a sign of a great explorational mind. :)

Yobi likes this.
  7. Mister Green

Mister Green Phantasmal Quasar

It was already found on Reddit a few days ago though. You can actually reach it with a grappling hook or climbing ropes.

8. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

I was bored one day (and to lazy to go hunting for things) so I decided to go around the entire outpost using only the grapple gun (two actually) so I found it from the right side

figured other people knew because there was no way I was the first one to find something cool like this, oh well

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  9. MysticMalevolence

I actually found it last monday (22)... I was just too lazy to post it until now. Also for the same reasoning as @cooltv27.
    Evidence.png
    I wish there were more quests like this; optional, semi-hidden quests. I mean, the demon mask wasn't that great of a reward, but I feel as if create-a-hat contest winners could have hats implemented like this.
    Although I now wonder who was after this man, and why he was hiding...

@Consumer of Souls, I'm surprised he jumped; NPCs seem to be better about that lately. Are you sure you didn't eat his soul?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

That's the main point why I congratulate you. It makes me more optimistic about what could be. At the moment, I feel the quests are too strict. It's cool in your first playthrough. It's not as cool as it should be in your second one. It becomes annyoing by the third time, and completly grindy when you do it a sixth time. There should be at least the option to skip some repetitive missions. I'm sure you know how cool feature XYZ is when you played that Lunar mission over and over. Instead, I would wish we had more optional, secret things. Maybe only some hint and more brain to use.

11. Mister Green

The outpost and your spaceship are the only two static places in the game right now. The fact that they are already thinking about hidden quests makes me happy for the future of Starbound. As more and more static environments pop up in Starbound, the more secret hunting!

StarKaiser likes this.
  12. MysticMalevolence

I think quests should be generated on planets.
    The scanner would display how many quests are on a planet, and the journal would bookmark where they are.
    Although that's just me.

13. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Incorrect. The lunar mission, deadwing, mech missions are all static worlds.

14. MysticMalevolence

You forgot the surprise party.

15. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Oh, yeah, that too!

16. Patty O'Furniture

Patty O'Furniture Star Wrangler

Under the outpost,
    We we'll having some fun.
    Under the outpost,
    People floating above.
    Under the outpost,
    We'll be in zero G,
    Under the outpost . . . Outpost.

17. Mister Green

Oh yeah, forgot about the missions :p

18. MysticMalevolence

*Puts on tinfoil cap*
    Conspiracy time!
    You guys remember the bounty hunter's first mission, right? He was feeling bad about his job, and decided to send a cake to his last victim's widow.
    Now, let's recall the masked man's reply upon mission completion: "I think the person looking for me is still up there."
    Is it possible that the this man was the bounty hunter's target?
    Say this man slipped away from the assassin's blade by hiding where his assailant would never look: underneath the very outpost he lives/works/visits/whatever!
    The bounty hunter couldn't let such a stain on his pride and more importantly, his reputation, exist. So, he lied to his customer about successfully killing the masked man.
    In order to keep up the illusion of having killed him, the bounty hunter even decided to send a cake to the man's "widow"...

19. Zaelox

Zaelox Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just found this quest not even a minute ago. I was exploring, and saw a few forum posts about a rare (and now removed?) treasure biome.. this prompted me to explore and see what secrets I could find. I had to search the forums to see if I anyone else has yet to find it, so cool! I did it with my grapple hook and rocket boots (no admin commands). It is cool to see who else has discovered this secret mission as well!

20. poboy

poboy Void-Bound Voyager

This scanner you're talking about... it sure sounds interesting. Is it already a thing?