1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Unable to set beta opt-in status

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Monijir, May 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hi. I'm having some issues with beta (nightly) opt-in. I recently did a clean install on my pc. Afterwords when I was installing Starbound through Steam I was unable to set my Beta opt-in status. The option is no longer listed the Steam>Library>Starbound>Preferences>Beta drop down menu. I understand there's been a change recently so there should be a separate steamapp for each branch. After multiple reinstalls the issue still persists. I don't know what sort of system information would be pertinent to share other than I'm running ubuntu-linux 14.04. Any help or information would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. nimmerland

nimmerland Existential Complex

So it is not in the Beta tab of the Preferences / Properties of "Starbound - Unstable" ?
    upload_2015-5-1_20-4-48.png

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I see you have Tropico 3 and 4, as well as VVVVVV... :rofl:

But yes, there is a new "Starbound - Unstable" on your steam list that will be used for unstable and nightly.

4. Monijir

It isn't. It may also be relevant that the version I have is the stable build and the unstable is the one that's missing (this based on the appId from the manifest file). Also sorry if this is the absolute wrong way to post an image.

Attached Files:

5. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

You will have 2 starbounds in your library.

Capture.PNG

The one that says Starbound - Unstable
    Has Unstable + Nightly though the drop down menu.

Crystan and Dunto like this.
  6. Monijir

I really don't. Here's a screenshot . Thank you all for responding so quickly.

Attached Files:

7. lazarus78

Have you tried closing steam and reconnecting? It prompts an update check.

8. Monijir

Yes. I have closed and restarted steam; Rebooted my system; Uninstalled and reinstalled Starbound - with and without manually deleting the local content: I've uninstalled and reinstalled steam as well. I'm not certain but I believe this problem existed before my last full reformat and clean OS installation. Of course I'd be willing to do any additional uninstall/reinstalls for troubleshooting.

9. nimmerland

nimmerland Existential Complex

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Your filter is Steam OS + Linux switch it to all games.

Crystan, Dunto and nimmerland like this.
  11. Monijir

nimmerland: I could try that - fully removing the steam folder.
    xxswatelitexx : It is not present under the all games filter either.
    I've placed a ticket with Steam Support and continued to search for others with similiar problems.
    The following is the only mention I've seen of a similiar issue. This player also recieved their copy of the game as a gift. I have a hunch that's relevant.
    https://twitter.com/metadept/status/593712387305398272.
    Additioally I have two home systems. I tried installing Steam and Starbound on the other and this issue is present on both, which I suspect indicates a server-side issue. Thank you.

12. Glub

Glub Aquatic Astronaut

I have the same problem, no nightly for me.

I got my Starbound as a gift too so i thinks that's the problem.

Attached Files:

13. lazarus78

A gifted game is no different than one you bought.

SleepySquidd likes this.
  14. Monijir

I don't know enough about Steam to update a game from terminal so I can't say. But I'm human enough to extrapolate that to be the problem given only three instances to insinuate a pattern. Glub, may I ask if your gift was part of a four-pack?

15. Glub

Glub Aquatic Astronaut

It was part of a four-pack, a friend of mine bought back in 2013.

Monijir likes this.
  16. Monijir

I am now quite sure this is the problem. Steam seems to split things up into packages apps and changes. Long story short - there is only one application associated with the gift package and both with the standard package.

Sub ID 35429
    Name Steam Sub 35429
    Last Known Name Starbound Gift
    Last Record Update 10 months ago (July 10, 2014 – 15:37:25 UTC)
    Last Change Number

Apps in this package
    AppID App Type Name Price Last Updated
    211820 Game
    Starbound $14.99 about an hour ago

Sub ID 35137
    Name Steam Sub 35137
    Name (Store) Starbound
    Last Record Update 3 days ago (April 28, 2015 – 10:10:11 UTC)
    Last Change Number

Changelist 1016562
    1 apps total, 1 packages total
    SubID Name
    35137 Starbound
    AppID App Type Name
    367540 Game Starbound - Unstable

Apps in this package
    AppID App Type Name Price Last Updated
    211820 Game
    Starbound $14.99 about an hour ago
    367540 Game Starbound - Unstable No Price about 7 hours ago

17. lazarus78

And here I eat my words. Why would they put a gifted game under a completely different ID?

SleepySquidd likes this.
  18. Monijir

I just learned that this database exists publicly - I would hazard to guess that this is all products on steam. The product is a SubID which is in turn associated with a Depot of files and an AppId/Branches thereof. Good ol' human jumping to conclusions wins again. I'm starting to think we may come out on top of this robot uprising after all.

19. lazarus78

Well i can understand having an ID for the bundle, but the resulting product you get added to your account should be THE game, not a copy with a different ID. If one's account history is ever looked at, it could easily show X game received from Y bundle.

20. Monijir

The devs added the application to the gift purchases. IDK why I don't have a new library entry so It's not fixed yet but good on 'em for the turn around.

nimmerland likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.