1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Unable to play local multiplayer (PC/Steam)

Discussion in 'Support' started by One Eyed Jackal, Jan 4, 2019.

1. One Eyed Jackal

One Eyed Jackal Intergalactic Tourist

First time trying to play Stardew Valley with the wife. Two copies; separate steam accounts.

The end result is either "Connection failed" or "The server has closed the connection" depending on which join method is used. In some cases we can get to the choose-new-player-slot (as per cabin) choice screen, but never get any farther (no character creation screen reached).

Just to test, I tried launching another steam game. I am able to host a server and she is able to join without issue. Please help me figure out what we can do to get this game working.
    • Both Windows 10 (v. 17763)
    • One network connection via ethernet; one network connection via wifi
    • Both steam builds (...820)
    • Both game buildIDs (...766)
    ☑ Unblocked TCP/UDP ports 24642 & 49578
    ☑ Unblocked Steam ports
    ☑ Disabled Windows Defender firewall (it is the only AV installed)
    ☑ Verified integrity of game files
    ☑ Can successfully ping each other via cmd prompt
    ☑ Restarted both PCs
    ☑ Downloaded and installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables and for Visual Studio 2015 variants in both x64 and x86 formats
    ☑ Tried hosting from each computer separately
    ☑ Tried joining via menu, steam invitation, invitation code, and IP address
    ☑ Ensured that there are available cabins (2 free cabins)

• One Eyed Jackal

• One Eyed Jackal

Update bump: The game works when the laptop is connected via ethernet, so it must be a router issue. However, since other games work over wifi, it must be an issue between the game and/or router. I've never had to unblock ports for other games, but I've set TCP/UDP port triggering on 49578 and 24642-24648. Anything that I'm missing here?

• DirtyMadcap

DirtyMadcap Intergalactic Tourist

Watching your thread. The wife and I are new to Stardew and had a flawless first afternoon playing a LAN game, both on wifi. The next day (yesterday) she would get constant disconnects (I'm hosting). Our internet connection is very stable with 100 mb up and down speeds. If anyone reading this has experience with Ubiquiti UniFi hardware and has some tips for us we are all ears. Good luck to you Jackal!

• One Eyed Jackal

@DirtyMadcap I'm assuming all your other games are working fine in local? Have you tried running the game LAN on both PCs? I've been having to do that since I've had no luck with wifi.