1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Un-edited ship sprites

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ruuzdahfrost, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Ruuzdahfrost

Ruuzdahfrost Void-Bound Voyager

I'm sure i am not the only person who has wondered about this since the dawn of Starbound.
    The starter ships are always seen with the interior exposed. The only instance when we see even a glimpse of what they are like to an outside viewer is during the intro flying out of orbit cutscene.
    Why?
    It bothers me especially when i enter the ship during the starting mission. Why isn't a complete version used?
    It also bothers me, because i want that darn cool looking ship for myself. Sure, i already have one floating in orbit, but damn if i dont need like 7 of them, all rusting in a hangar!

The point is, the ships are cool and the sprites are needed. I will put this hunt to rest if the sprites were lost, or if the ships just were always like that, but i just need to know why it is like it is.
    Guesses are welcome as well.

Thank you

P.S.

If anybody is interested in trying to replicate that tiny ship from the cutscene as a regular sized tin can, do tell.

[​IMG]

2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

There were never any outer hull sprites. The ones from the intro cutscene were edited specifically for the intro mission, and those are way too tiny to be useful as anything but a reference.

If you could grab each of these tiny ships, it'd probably increase your chances of someone giving it a shot though.

3. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I already had this thought cross my mind a few months ago...

I wanted to base the Novakid ship for something I planned in my race mod and needed that specific external hull image.
    Of course, it didn't exist... So I made one using that tiny intro cinematic image:

(Full-color version)
    tramwayenginefull.png
    (Cropped and edited color-devoid version)
    tramwayengine.png

Again, these are a part of my own mod. (At least in the files, unimplemented.)
    So I would ask if anyone uses them to seek my permission first. :)

4. Ruuzdahfrost

Ruuzdahfrost Void-Bound Voyager

My goodness that is some stellar work! You wouldnt happen to be up for doing the human ship as well?