1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED UFO Mech

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by lonesurvivor, Dec 7, 2013.

1. lonesurvivor

lonesurvivor Big Damn Hero

Updated!

Thanks! Yeah it works because all the scripting and stuff is done on the client side right now, so the server and the other players don't need the files. But if they don't have the textures on their client, they can't see them, of course.

I added a hint to the opening post.

Today I tried to implent the secondary fire which should let you shoot any throwable item out if you have it in your inventory and select it (like when you are wlaking). But I couldn't yet figure a way out to access the players inventory. Same thing with the mining stuff. I think this has to wait till i know more about the scripting API.

2. lyravega

lyravega Poptop Tamer

Hey man. I've been modding the existing Mech. However, I seem to not get weapons working for some reason.

I "created" (copy/pasted) a "new" weapon, game recognizes it, when I hold fire button, I can see the projectiles and so on. But it doesn't do any damage. Have you tried adding a custom weapon? I mean, I am very puzzled. If there was a typo or something, game wouldn't recognize the weapon at the first place, but seeing as the projectiles come out, I have no idea.

3. lonesurvivor

Hmm I only used the builtin projectiles/throwables, and they do the shooting animation and damage calculation by themself. So if you didn't change projectiles (only the gun) and you can see the animation, it should work. I can't tell you what's wrong, sorry.

4. lonesurvivor

Updated it:

- fixed the slightly wrong rotation point of the launcher
    - added a little up-and-down animation while moving

Affero likes this.
  5. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Phantasmal Quasar

Awesome mod, I'm using it as a learning experience to making my own mech :p if you don't mind.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. lonesurvivor

Of course not :) I did the same by copying the builtin mech and changing it. Thats the only way we can learn about modding at the moment.

7. nacnud117

nacnud117 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice one for the first vehicle mod. (i dont see the ship as a "real" vehicle)
    So could I use this as an "inspiritaion" and make a Pelican from Halo with an mg instead of a grenade launcher?

8. lonesurvivor

Thank you :) yes, of course,take it and change it if you want.

nacnud117 likes this.
  9. Karull

Karull Big Damn Hero

Thanks for this, it will be very useful in helping me make my super saiyan tech for my dragonball mod :)

10. lonesurvivor

You're welcome ;)

11. nacnud117

Thank you very much :)

12. lonesurvivor

Updated to new game version (althoug there were like no changes required)! Be sure to remove the old folder assets/tech/mech/ufomech before updating, and, if you used the old version already in the updated game (it would work i think) disable the tech on all your characters before doing so. You have to do that, because I changed

- the mod folder to assets/mods/ufomech, to have all the stuff in an extra folder to uninstall it easily
    - the itemname to a more unique one, to prevent possible problems with other ufo mods in the future.

Thats all for now.

nacnud117 likes this.
  13. nacnud117

So its all good and stuff. Got a "alpha" version for the body and the gun. Changed the size to 150x70 but there is bit of a problem... it doesnt turn with the movement, any idea on what to do? And also, the "deminsions" in the gun.frames is the position of the gun/turret or am I wrong?

14. lonesurvivor

The turn is made in the lua script, search for "flip". If you took my files and just changed the pictures and the weapon, it should work i think.

And no, the dimensions parameter is used when you have multiple pictures in one png for animation (the frames) and you want to tell the game how many are there in every line end how many lines are there. So with only one picture it has to be 1, 1. The position of all the subpictures and their behavior (position, rotation point, animation and so on) is given in the .animation file. You need to experiment with those parameters to find out what they do.. I couldn't figure out what all of them are exactly doing either till now..

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I removed the flipping stuff because a UFO doesn't need to change direction. Look at the original file assets/tech/mech/mech.lua, here you can see how flipping the image works

nacnud117 likes this.
  15. nacnud117

First I want to thank you for the nice support/help
    Yeah I took a look at that but couldn't find out how or what would cause it to turn. Ok I will take another look if I come home.

16. Insomnacious

Insomnacious Void-Bound Voyager

This is a really awesome script! I tweaked it so it has a little more unstable aerodynamic feel. I too was wondering about the flipping... it would appear I got an old version?
    I tried to make a slightly more terran skin, and ended up reformatting the whole thing haha.
    [​IMG]

Affero likes this.
  17. Black--snow

Black--snow Cosmic Narwhal

I love the Terran version, proper awesomeness right there.

18. lonesurvivor

Looks very nice ;)

I disabled the flipping of the vehicle, because it is not necessary with a symmetric UFO (I only flip the player). And it should be the same in all versions, I didn't change it after release.

19. Insomnacious

Insomnacious Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! Ohh okay I assumed that til I misread a post above, I'm trying to figure out how to activate it. I'll look for the code to flip the player, as the ship is centered, and the player is offset on mine. A job for tomorrow, I have lots to do in the morning :S Thanks again for the awesome script, cant wait to provide air support for the server hoodlums!

til a stray bird shoots me down xD

nacnud117 likes this.
  20. nacnud117

It's "tech.setFlipped(true)" and to get it back to normal it is "tech.setFlipped(false)". Also your craft looks really good :D

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013