1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED UFO Mech

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by lonesurvivor, Dec 7, 2013.

1. lonesurvivor

lonesurvivor Big Damn Hero

This post is no longer maintained. Look at the mod database for the lastest version: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ufo-mech.137/

Today I decided to get into modding and therefore I tried to make a first small mod. A custom UFO-Mech:

[​IMG]

As you can see, it has a grenade launcher mounted to its bottom. It is able to hover in the air and is controlled by the movement keys. It uses some sounds from the game and the standard grenade animations.

The texture looks kind of crappy because I'm rather a programmer than a designer ;) But this is more a test rather than a serious mod to learn about the possibilities of the modding system and the structure of the game, so it doesn't matter. I wanted to share this with you, if you want to try it out.

Thanks to Affero for the improved graphics!

If you want to see it in action, look at this mod showcase by Katukaz:

Starts at 3:50.
    Thank you for calling it your favorite mod, Kazuka!

Game Version: Indignant Koala

To install the item:
    0. If you had the old version from game version Irritated Koala installed, remove the old files first! Steam doesn't do it automatically while updating, and I changed the place where the files are stored. If you already used the old version after updating the game (i think it would still work after you insert the line in player.config again), be sure to deactivate the tech on all your characters before deleting the folder!

Look at the mod database:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ufo-mech.137/

Have fun!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
    Polkovnik, NDroid, Shasow and 8 others like this.
  2. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

get an error when trying to download it
    edit:also wth wont my avatar show

3. lonesurvivor

Sorry, fixed it

4. DXLelouch

DXLelouch Void-Bound Voyager

still getting an error
    maybe upload to a different site
    edit:nvm its working

5. Affero

Affero Contributor

Could you post the sprites? I'd like to improve them a bit :)

6. lonesurvivor

Yes, of course :). here you go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Affero

Affero Contributor

And here you go! Hope it works :D, if it does I'm gonna try the MOD out :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I think this one is better:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  8. Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

It WOOORRKKKSS!!!!

9. Affero

Affero Contributor

Try this one instead:
    [​IMG]

Pinkie Pie likes this.
  10. lonesurvivor

Wow, very nice :) I wish i was good at graphics design too.

I'm going to replace it right now.

Affero likes this.
  11. zeriodgravity

zeriodgravity Tentacle Wrangler

Wanted to say very nice job ! This combined with Affero's sprites is amazing as a first mech mod, hoping to see more in the future :).

If I may be so cheeky to suggest a feature on it ? I don't know much bout modding but maybe you could make a second version of it with some kind of beam attractor ?

Also how does it react in multiplayer ? I'm currently using it on our multigaming clan server and it works, but no one online to test out if it produces any bugs.

Affero and lonesurvivor like this.
  12. lonesurvivor

I'm glad you like it! ;)

I don't know about the multiplayer behavior. I wanted to test it, but my friend had troubles starting the game. But i think it should work, as long as every player installs the mod on his computer as well.

I can try to implement a tractor beam to attract enemies and/or items, but I can't promise that i can do it, because there is no documentation yet. However, if you want to have another weapon instead of the grenades (which is already in the game, for example bombs), it is changable very easily. The devs did great a great job with the modding capability of this game.

Affero likes this.
  13. zeriodgravity

If no one has tested it yet I'll try and test it with some clan mates tonight and report back the results here :)

So you say bombs work ? How about maybe something like throwing flares out if that's possible then ? I could potentially use it as some kind of digging UFO mech then. If that works it would also be amazing to see if it could break blocks on contact when holding down a specific key ( right mouse for example ) o: that would make it the ultimate digging machine !

Ok ... going abit off topic now I think xD I just like this mech so much, it's alot more usefull than the original mech ingame right now, and alot more sexy and fun to use.

14. Platoonsgt1

Platoonsgt1 Big Damn Hero

Well, weapons can destroy blocks if they can sustain the block damage each shot deals, why I can chop down trees with my shotgun :D Why can't you put a weapon like that on a vehicle. it would almost make sense as a good weapons platform.

15. zeriodgravity

Little edit : found out myself how to change the projectiles :) Making this thing absolutely awesome !

16. lonesurvivor

Yeah that's why i created it ;) Maybe i will do some more

You can change it to flares by editing the last line in assets/tech/mech/ufomech/ufomech.tech. Change "impactgrenade" to "flare".
    Edit: Oh you just figured it out yourself

zeriodgravity likes this.
  17. zeriodgravity

You should deffinately make some more xD. But yeah one I really would love to suggest is some kind of stationary mech that allows you to dig down like a quarry . Maybe not instantly break blocks, but have it go a little faster than a diamond pick ? :3

18. zeriodgravity

Okay so tested on a multiplayer server. Works, but your character will be invisible to other players. Also

BIG WARNING : Do not remove the mod if your character still has the tech equiped !!! -> It will make your character inaccessible and will crash your Starbound. Nevertheless still a cool and fun mod to mess around with in singleplayer.

doomtrigger likes this.
  19. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Really cool!

20. Affero

Affero Contributor

Also lonesurvivor, here's the icon! [​IMG]

Pinkie Pie likes this.