1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

UES Contact Light in StarMade

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by mageblood, Dec 23, 2014.

1. mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Update.

My mom got sick, worse than previous times. She thinks she might be getting, or already have, Walking Pneumonia and that it might get worse. She's going to the doctor tomorrow to see what's up, get some proper medicine, and hopefully not have to go to the hospital. So I am taking more of a break from StarMade... Again. This really should have been done months ago. I do apologize for dragging this out for so long.

Do not like this post, there is nothing good about it, it is saddening information. The best one could do is send out prayers (should one believe in that) or just hope things get better.

• Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I hope your mom gets better soon. And it's fine that it's taken you a while to advance this ship- other stuff is more important, and we've enjoyed watching you build it over time anyway.

• mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

I can say that she should get better within the next couple weeks. She didn't have to go to the hospital, the doctor she saw gave her medication and a 'super shot' (some sort of shot to help boost the body's systems or something to recover faster and feel less pain, stuff like that, I don't know what it's actually called or how it works entirely). Still going to take a break, will need to help her next week around the house anyway.

Lecic likes this.
        • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

Over a month since I last posted... (Hope this isn't considered necro-ing, I know forums give varying times before a post is considered necro)

I hate to say this, but I just haven't had an interest in StarMade for quite a while. I don't want to just drop all my work either, but it isn't fun going in just to build. I do plan to complete the work at some point, I don't know when though.

StarMade is like Minecraft, except more like a shooter, and in space. I like both, but I am terrible in them. That added 3rd dimension just throws me off (unlike Terraria with it being 2D, I am very good in it (not like HERO good, if you know that youtuber, but good nonetheless) ). Minecraft is easier for me, you just walk up to something and punch it, job done. StarMade? You have something miles (in-game) away that you have to take into consideration their velocity, angle they are travelling, their distance from you, your velocity, your angle, and all sorts of other variables and shoot them. In a 2D field, this wouldn't be as difficult, but this is 3D, and I have NEVER been good at any sort of shooter (not even 2D shooters, oddly Borderlands is an exception where I am decent). Speaking of Minecraft, I'm not even that good with combat in it (still haven't, and doubt I even can, beat the Ender Dragon or the other boss, Wither was it?). In both Minecraft and StarMade, I'm only an explorer/miner/builder because I can't fight well enough, which takes a whole lot of fun out of the game. Fun for me isn't dying hundreds of times to go back and die another hundred times just to try to win a single fight; the minor victories here and there don't make up for all the losses or potential losses. Losing constantly makes me dislike a game after a certain point, and that is what happened with shooters, and in StarMade I have to get close to enemies to kill them because my accuracy is terrible (which results in destroyed shields and blocks on my end, costing me even more to repair or rebuild assuming they get a good shot off on me).

As I stated in the previous post, the first UES (compact version) is pretty much complete. I did get a little more work in it since, but not much. I could make the second (full length) after with a bunch of copy/paste, which I could increase the size limit by editing the config file to speed it up. The third (full length, filled with various modules) I'm considering dropping as people can place what they actually want rather than have it filled with basic/general purpose parts. They may want a straight up tank, filled with many shields to take every shot and not care, as well as turn cargo holds into docking for small-ship transport. They could probably fill it with jump drives if they so choose (probably a bad idea, would be far too expensive). The third would just take more time and effort out of the motivation I currently lack.

The Wandering Vagrant is still (incomplete, hollow really) sitting beside the UES, and I do plan to complete that after the UES (again, not sure when I will get back to those). Still want to put colorful heat-seeking missiles in it. And the Jellyfish ship, still after this. It's small, so it would be quick and easy to make, but with its size it may not have weapons/shields at a level to be worth using.

Once all of this is done, I probably won't build any more things until my motivation returns (gotta love those creative phases you have that suddenly disappear after a short time).

Last, and overall, everything has been fine here. Nobody is sick, though some don't like how their job is treating them and are considering getting new jobs. I have been wasting my time playing various games from many years ago (and I mean like Super Nintendo, GameBoy Color and Advance, PS2), watching anime (still have over 200 on my list, potentially up to 1000 (yes, that is one thousand) anime if I were to add everything from an anime music app's list), and reading manga (which is also starting to grow a list, at like 20-ish now). Also, going back to the topic, I may just do a single post when all of them are done all at once, probably in a new thread if this is considered necro or it takes longer than what it has now. I will, at that time, provide a link (or rather a way to get to the location) to download the completed ships from the StarMade Dock (which uploading the completed versions is still a plan, don't worry).

Crystalis (a game I played when I was young and nearly completed before the cartridge suddenly disappeared)
          Legend of Zelda (the Oracle pair Seasons and Ages, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening)
          Radiata Stories (my most favorite game of all time, and still is to this day; seriously, try it if you haven't (only if you like RPGs by Square Enix) )
          Fable Anniversary (currently on Steam, was on the original XBOX known as Fable and Fable The Lost Chapters; Anniversary is Lost Chapters with a few various fixes, some graphical updates, and DLC)
          Maybe a few others, but I can't think of their names at this time and some are on Steam. I will not share the anime list publicly as some may not be entirely appropriate for all ages, those would be better left in a private message for any that want to know.

Lecic likes this.
          • mageblood

mageblood Big Damn Hero

An update on my plans for this.

I have recently watched a Twitch streamer (JathTech, some may know who this is) and he was playing in the dev build (I don't know if it is accessible to all, I only remember I can't get it for whatever reason). I don't know what the current build has compared to that dev build, but what he was building used a few new blocks: Rails and all things associated with making them work as well as logic to work with. With rails, I could potentially make the UES Contact Light EXACTLY like it is in the game (with the cargo spinning as it flies, including making each group spin independently and in varying speeds and opposite directions). I could add all sorts of things and improve what I already have (including docking, which by the way, THROW OUT THAT OLD CRAP, you can now dock using rails with essentially NO limitation and no unnecessary 'enhancers' for docking space, literally 1 block to dock (2 if you count the 1 needed on your ship for docking connection), just note that you can not attach something to a rail if the old docking system is anywhere on the ship/turret). This would, however, break the reactor lines I planned to run through the entire ship and limit all the modules to the space of the main body of the ship, which isn't too big, because each cargo group would have to be broken into separate parts and then attached. Things attached by rails do not transfer/share their power, shields, or anything else (as of now, later updates may allow it and more), so I can't use a reactor and attach the main ship's to the cargo's as they are separate entities, and just running the line through it would prevent the spinning (or worse, I would have to entirely rebuild the whole ship to make space, and even then I still can't run the power line all the way through the portions that spin).

Overall, it may be better for me if I wait until after this update becomes available for me because I could make more improvements to the ship. So we will see how this turns out, I still haven't gotten enough interest back, but it's getting there slowly.

Lecic likes this.