1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Ubuntu Server Recommended Hardware

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Rinzen, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Rinzen

Rinzen Space Hobo

Hello,
    I can't find any recent guides about recommended hardware specs for running a dedicated server.

From what I could find (mostly posts from 2013), it seems this is doable on a linux machine and support up to 12 players with 2GB of RAM and a quad core processor. But there was also a memory leak issue back then that would require server reboots every X hours. Is the memory leak still an issue?

Does anyone know what the recent hardware recommendations are?

I'm running an Ubuntu 16.04 TLS virtual machine from my companies vCloud environment (Employees get personal virtual environments, so I'm not doing anything illegal). To save costs, I trying to use the minimum COMFORTABLE setup for about 10 people.

Current Specs:
    1 CPU with 4 cores (clock capped at 10Ghz with minimum of 3.4Ghz)
    8GB RAM
    112MB Download/50MB Upload

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Clock capped at 10GHz? What?

Otherwise the specs are fine.

3. Rinzen

Rinzen Space Hobo

Our virtual datacenters have to cap the guest machines processor usage or they run unlimited, lol. By default, they cap at 10Ghz. :p

4. lazarus78

No CPU can even reach that speed, so that seems a bit silly. Highest clock rate record is 8.722GHz, cooled with liquid nitrogen.

5. Rinzen

Rinzen Space Hobo

It's a virtual clock speed vs physical. It would never actually hit 10Ghz, I just don't know what our max speed is for the physical CPU's on our current hardware. Our engineers dabble with that. Highest I've seen the CPU hit with just me on the server is about 399mhz.

The RAM was my biggest concern as the old memory leak issues made me unsure of whether 8GB would be enough, or whether I needed to push for 16GB. But like I said, more RAM = more company $$$. So I'd rather not give them reason to boot my server for using too much :p I'd rather not have to restart the server every 12 hours though either.

6. lazarus78

If it only reached 400MHz, then you must not have been doing anything... at all. CPUs will ramp up when they need to do something. It doesn't matter what it is, it will do it as fast as it can.

But anyhoo. 8GB of ram should be plenty. I don't recall any recent memory leaks or anything like that. Regular restarts are a good idea anyway.

7. Rinzen

Rinzen Space Hobo

Yeah, I would need to restart it for updates anyways. But I'd like to keep maintenance to a weekly process vs every 12 hours. Glad to hear about the memory leaks though.

As far as the CPU, I'm at work. So testing was limited to harvesting a few trees. I'll be able to monitor more accurate resource usage once I get my friends back on it and we're actually playing lol

8. lazarus78

Oh yeah, weekly should be no problem at all.