Modding Discussion Types of mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Incendiary, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Let me start by saying I've played around with files and stuff, and probably have only breached the surface of what I'm capable of changing in starbound, but I'm wondering if anyone has started sorting types of mods? (Such as CSS and so on)

Now, obviously anything that adds files will not work with people who are missing those files, but I'm wondering if anyone has found out a list what is client side or server side. Or, what interests me most, is things like weapons that can be modified by the client and then transferred.

2. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

So you want a list of what's modifiable and what isn't?

Well there's a LUA function dump somewhere in this forum which gives you a rough indication from a logic side. If you have a look through the assets directory, you can see most of the asset type of stuff you can modify.

It's probably not worth doing yet, as I imagine the files we have will drastically change over the coming months.

3. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

I was assuming that as well, and yes most of the assets are modifyable, but I'm more interested in things that are modifyable and then transferable. ie. changing a weapon's stats, you can give it to a player without the server or that players client having any modification.

4. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

5. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Hmm, I believe we are having a fundamental misscommunication. My previous example, with weapons. I can change the stats on a weapon, join a random server with vanilla starbound, give this weapon to a random player with vanilla starbound, and that weapon will still have the stats I gave it. I'm curious if there is anything else that behaves this way?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. Whitey

Whitey Poptop Tamer

Oh I see. That's interesting!

I'd assume the raw text of the object is sent to the server, and then across to the other client. Not sure. It might be worth packet capturing the server/clients to see what goes on during the transfer.

As far as I know, there's no list of that currently.