Tutorial for people who want to know how to make an underwater base

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by xan713, Feb 9, 2015.

1. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(Pre-Note: If you can offer tips/advice to help improve this tutorial - Please contribute, and you WILL be directly quoted and credited in this post. Thanks in advance!)

Here's a certain method I use for building at base of oceans. This has photos to help you learn, and I also provide for you to have a way to teleport DIRECTLY to your underwater base, so you don't have to swim to/from the surface of the planet to get to it. Advanced techniques are also listed, thanks to other posters in this thread.

If you followed these steps, and made a base that looks better than mine (Which I'm really sure anyone can make a better base than I can) please post screenshots!

1. Acquire a Breathing Suit tech (If you don't have one already). You can do this without a Breathing Suit Tech, but you need to be fast to not drown.
    [​IMG]

2. Use a common material (like Cobblestone) and just create a very large block made completely of the material you have chosen. Just keep in mind, if you want to make a larger structure than what is shown, you can. It'll probably darken in the middle, like shown, because you'll need light sources in there soon.
    Yes, you can replace with better blocks at a later stage.
    [​IMG]

3. Use the Matter Manipulator tool, and carve out the inside with Left Click, like shown.
    [​IMG]

4. Before you go digging too deep into the hollowed out section, create a hole big enough for you to fit in, and close it in on yourself and then start draining the water with your Matter Manipulator Tool, so you have an airtight room to continue carving out the middle of this big block you are making. I added torches to show you that there isn't water inside (Except what leaked in when I tried getting inside).
    If you DON'T have the drain water feature for your Matter Manipulator, just cover the water that got inside with more Cobblestone, then remove the Cobblestone and it'll be gone.
    [​IMG]

5. Finish carving out the inside, and then if you want to make it bigger inside, add more solid material, and then carve most of it out, allowing just a thin wall border of the material with no gaps to stop water coming in. Customize how ever you like.
    [​IMG]

6. To add additional rooms outside of this building you made, just repeat Steps 1, 2, and 3.
    Here's an example of what I did with some spare materials -
    [​IMG]
    See that door on the far right (above)? Please don't make something like this, unless you either
    A) Don't plan on using it
    B] Create an extra room alongside it with another door so that you don't flood your building :)

7. For some advanced or aternative Airlock techniques. Here are some posts that have been contributed by other forum users, many thanks to them all!

"Lazer" uses a vertical technique, as shown below in this quoted post -
    "Sdvn" provided an animation showing off a wired airlock. This goes beyond my capabilities yet of explaining the process, but it's nice to see what you CAN do :)
    [​IMG]

"Seajay"s 'Lazy Mans Airlock' technique.

8. SPAWNPOINT SETTING - You can set spawnpoint so you spawn down in your sea-base afterward too, here's how it's done:
    [​IMG]
    Doing the above will now set your Teleporter to set you to exactly where you are standing.

Show yours off in this thread once you're done!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
    shuruga, Fleder, Snowpup and 7 others like this.
  2. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I'm lazy, so I would probably just build the entire house at once then remove all the water with the MM. Good guide for those without the upgraded MM / those creating new characters, though.

3. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

You cannot just MM the ocean water away. It must be deleted via block placement.

Your guide should also include alternative entry methods... Ways that don't require MM water removal or drains.

xan713 likes this.
  4. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Would need a wiring station and make some drains if you want to keep your base dry and have automated water drain.

xan713 and Serenity like this.
  5. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

TheFloranChef and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  6. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks for the replies! Yeah, I'll update with some alternative methods, along with a table of contents. I'll do it when I'm home from work! Many thanks for all replies.

7. sdvn

sdvn Void-Bound Voyager

8. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Lazy man's "airlock", simply walk through it, no buttons or switches. Two pressure plates, two pulse shorteners, one SWS, one door. Three drains catch the overspill (I did say it was lazy). I used two-tick pulses because one-tick pulses weren't clocking the SWS well enough for my liking.

Even lazier version: just pressure plates wired up directly to door, but then the door stays open for a while.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  9. Thorin

Thorin Pangalactic Porcupine

The most simple construction is would be like a divers-bell.

I'm not at home, so its either text only or

duikersklok.png

Don't shoot me, my mspaint skill are top notch if I were 6 months old.

TheFloranChef and Serenity like this.
  10. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

divers bell.png

11. Thorin

You probably still have infinite water present where your back wall is.
    I start with a block like the first poster where I carve out the divers bell.
    It's not an add-on.

12. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I started like this:

divers bell start.png

TheFloranChef and Serenity like this.
  13. Thorin

Sir, I'm truly confuzeled now.
    Darn: Still have 5 hours to go, before I'm home.

Is there a difference between removing the dirt, from top to bottom or from bottom to top?

14. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

It turns out the wall just needs to be higher for it to work. 12 blocks seems to be the magic number.

diver's snake.png

Fleder, TheFloranChef, Akado and 6 others like this.
  15. Thorin

Glad it works but I still find it strange.
    My opening is just 4 blocks high on the outside and the other wall is like 6.

16. MrZombie

MrZombie Orbital Explorer

When you build an underwater base. Make sure you use drain/air lock/liquid detecter/movement detection. Make the perfect airlock system to avoid floods.

17. esteysa

esteysa Subatomic Cosmonaut

yeah this is the problem. in TERRARIA they make this right go check for it.

18. Thorin

I managed 4 high, did remove the bottom first.
    Starbound.png

Serenity likes this.
  19. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

Can't reproduce it. I tried breaking the barrier every which way, no dice. :confused:

Thorin likes this.
  20. throwscats

throwscats Aquatic Astronaut

That is truly strange. Maybe I'm going to have to test this, now, but I'm lazy, so I'd rather just suggest things. I know this is odd, but could it be because his wall is 1 block wide and your wall is 2 blocks wide? Urgh, I'm probably going to test it, I can't resist science.

Edit: Alright, I can't figure it out, honestly. Someone smarter than me can, probably.

2015-02-09_00004.jpg

I was able to pretty easily replicate four blocks high, but...

2015-02-09_00008.jpg

My theory that it was the wall size appears to be wrong. Next I thought it might be your "barrier wall" method--which I think is closer to the truth. So I replicated that (I made a wall on the outside that was five blocks high then removed it to let the water in):

2015-02-09_00010.jpg

And now it is five blocks high. Interestingly, it always rose to five blocks high, after that, barrier wall or no. Now, why that is, I have no idea. I even rebuilt the entire structure to look exactly like yours--but new and improved in sexy mud (sexy mud screenshot not included) and it was still five blocks high. Just for fun, I tried a bigger barrier and got this:

2015-02-09_00011.jpg

As you can see, the three blocks jutting out reduce the water level to four again. Again, why that is, I don't know, but it is--and if you remove those blocks, it jumps to five. Again, someone smarter about this probably could explain why. I could not, though, for the life of me reproduce twelve blocks. I'm impressed you got it to twelve blocks, actually. Please share your secrets.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Thorin likes this.