Modding Discussion Turning a space station into a ship(?)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Lone-Road, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Lone-Road

Lone-Road Void-Bound Voyager

Hi there

This is an idea I had while looking at some ship designs using mods online, Ive wanted to make my own ship using a mod that lets you build it block by block but the bit by bit makes it a little tiresome, but then I thought what if I could use a space station desing for a ship, maybe replacing the ship file with one of a space station afeter building it using the prefabs? Unfortunately I have no modding knowledge whatsoever, but I did a little testing, mainly just placing a captains chair on a space station and see what happened, well, the ship moved, but not the space station, so, I ask any modder out there, is there a way to replace the ship file with the space station file so you could use it as the default ship?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Not possible. If you want the station prefab, they are extremely simple to make yourself.

3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I've yet to look at what makes the stations tic. I have no idea about placing the modules in a different sort of world because I haven't tried. Ships are indeed their own "world." That being said, I might already have what you want(sort of).
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...h-farming-dome-warehouse-200-crew-limit.3387/

It is due some updates, but already you basically have something equivalent to a station(with docked ships), that you can change block-by-block if you want(even building a block ship in one of the bays). And the whole thing operates like a ship. It is already quite large, and could be expanded to a size of up to 4096 x 4096 (max shipworld size).

I should look into the station layout pieces. And experiment with what I can do using the expanded API that 1.3+ offers. As you get into modding though, you could modify it how you like.

Of course I could mis-understand what you're looking for here.

4. Lone-Road

Dont know if I explained myself either, I tend to do that, ok imagine this.

You go and place your space station, you put all the rooms you want using the prefabs (biospheres, docking bay, cargo bay, crew quarters, bridge, etc etc) when you're happy with how the station looks you quit out of the game, take the file were the space station is saved, replace your ship file (or world in this case) and use the space station you designed as your default ship, it doesnt have to be a mod that uses the design prefabs the space station uses, I just want to know if replacing the files is plausible and what exactly is what I have to do, cuz I dont want to start constructing my ship and realize when im almost done that im 1 block short or something.

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

It used to be possible in fairly early beta Starbound to rename a world into a shipworld. Last time I tried it though it just crashes Starbound. I can't remember the error exactly. I'll just say back up your stuff, and try it. Spawn the ship objects you need in advance.

edit:
    Assuming you get an error here(likely), post your the resulting log in this thread. Preferably within code and spoiler tags. Might give me an idea what needs done(if it can be). I know how to add fuel capacity, but I think it will need more than just that. The errors could be useful.

6. Lone-Road

Well, the only thing ive tried so far was to spawn a captains chair and put it on a space station (made a new character of course) I sat on the and the star map appeared so I tried selecting a planet and the ship icon moved, the thing is that apparently the ship moved but not the station, I sorta moved the ship via remote control? The only thing ive thought of trying was replacing the files, but Im not sure wich is the space station file so im kinda stuck there, dont know if you could tell me wich one is it so I could try and see what happens.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

That's going to be in your universe folder then.

I suggest viewing your folder as "details" so you can see the last modified date etc. Sorting the folder by date isn't a terrible idea. Lets say you are on the station, and you change something, then don't go anywhere else. Exit Starbound. That's the last thing thing you changed, therefore the last file that got written to. So now you know which file you need, and from there try copying it into the player folder, deleting your .shipworld(also the last one saved), and rename the station to the file you deleted.

And again... please back up your entire \starbound\storage\ folder before attempting ANYTHING.

I don't expect it will be that simple. It will probably take some more (if even possible at all).

8. Lone-Road

Ok so I did the testing, made a new character, advanced the story until I unlocked the mech, spawn myself a station transponder and deplyed it, went in the station and spawned everything the ship had (teleporter, sail AI panel, fuel panel, captains chair) I was using a mod race but I made sure that those were the same items from that race, quit out of the game, replaced the files (including the file extensions that went from .world to .shipworld) started the game and it didnt crash, went into the player game and everything was like I left it, I was in the space station, so I click on the teleport to ship button and the teleportation animation started, and thats it, the teleportation animation (or cinematic I think its called) stayed on what it looks like an infinite looped, I left it for a couple of minutes and nothing changed, it didnt crashed or anything it just stayed on the animation, dont know what else to do, hope anything of that helps.