Tree Farming - SDV Style

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Instead of continuing to derail a different thread, I figured we could use a new one for the ideas of where we can start foresting in SDV.

So far the ideas I had were:
    - Cindergap forest (requiring an artifact spot first).
    - Train Station/Spa map (lots of room for tapping)
    - River edge in all maps
    - Around the ice cream stand
    - Area in front of the busted down Joja store

While starting my farm going I'll usually keep a couple Oak, Maple and a single Pine tree tapped while I grow a good size forest of Oak and Maple in the Train/Spa map. This usually gets me going for a while, and when the train map hits full grown, I can usually tap half of them and remove the ones left on my farm map so I can reclaim the space.

I'm wondering if you can grow trees in the quarry or on the beach? Anyone tried that?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Some concerns:

Villagers will break saplings (and grumble about it) if it happens to be in their pathing. For this reason, you have to be careful about the ice cream stand area (Alex and Hailey both wander around there, the kids and Penny too), and I believe Shane will still try to go to work even after Joja has been shut down, and might destroy saplings in front of the no longer functional Joja store. A couple of NPC's I think wander the Train Station area (Linus will, at least), so you have to be careful about that. Abigail and Leah both wander into Cindersnap Forest.

You definitely can plant in the Quarry area, however it is a fairly late-game area to unlock (almost always the final bundle for me, due to the Winter Forage bundle) and it will require flooring around the saplings to keep the region free from regrowing rocks.

• Stryder87

I've found that if you keep the trees to the left side of the ice cream stand, they're safe from pathing villagers. As for the train area, Abby and Seb both walk pretty much straight up to the sign, with Seb walking straight along the tracks to the right to the tunnel entrance. I keep my trees in the top left area above the tracks and in the bottom right area along the wall. Lots of room and no pesky villagers knocking stuff over. :)

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Have you planted in the winter? I don't see any reason that wouldn't work. With winter artifact spots all over the place it should be possible to get trees where you couldn't otherwise.

I'm not a big fan of the train area, because it doesn't open up till summer. My big push is going to be for getting oak seeds down in the first couple weeks of spring, so I've got kegs coming online to hopefully keep up with hops production in year one.

I've seen screenshots with trees planted on the beach. I assumed it was a mod.

• Stryder87

I've actually never thought of planting in the winter since trees don't grow in the winter, but yeah... I should give that a shot (one of those "Why didn't I ever think of that" things). Could be interesting.

I had a few trees tapped on my farm, so when the train opened I just put down some seeds i kept instead of making into bars. I know I'm going to have a huge demand for kegs and beehives, so I get them in as soon as I can so I can be ready with mats. I always end up hurting for wood though. Such a juggling act!

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I never make the bars, simply because I value the acorns too highly to spend them on food. I subsist early game entirely on onions and various foraged goods that I don't either sink into the CC or the sale bin, then on Salmonberries, then generally go straight to Cheese.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

I would think that putting them round river edges would get very cluttered.
                Cindersap you might as well just tap the twenty or so trees that are already there, then make a point of going down once a week to collect.
                I can't see how you'd get enough in other places to be worth the effort.

Best bet has to be the station, when it becomes available. It's the closest too, a quick run round the backwoods and you're there. Just phase out the ones on the farm as they become available

Making a few field snacks is fine imo, as long as you don't want something stupid like fifty of them before salmonberry season. I've run first spring several times recently, and while some of them have failed for various reasons, acorns was never one of the reasons. Every time I got more acorns to plant than I can fit in the space I prefer to use, even after eating some.

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I plant trees on the beach (for decoration), so it is possible. The spot has to be hoed, as for other places off the farm. I don't tend to tap trees off the farm, except for the ones at the bus stop. However, I do use the train station for lumber on a few of my saves.

I like to plant trees in dig spots in order to get them in places where we normally wouldn't be able to (mainly on grass). I don't cut those down, though.