Trappable Creatures!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Xploding_Cherry, Mar 3, 2012.

?

Should there be traps in StarBound?

1. Yes, I don't want to hurt the poor creatures!

75.0%
  2. No, we need to capture the creatures with force!

12.5%
  3. I don't care.

12.5%
  1. Xploding_Cherry

Xploding_Cherry Subatomic Cosmonaut

This idea of mine sparked after reading about a "zoo planet." The idea was that you can capture creatures from across the galaxy, and transport them to a planet or base that is specified only for these creatures, so really a intergalatic zoo... Read that topic here! http://community.playstarbound.com/...cated-for-creatures-somewhat-like-a-zoo.1260/

This goes a bit farther into that, by telling about how you capture the creatures.

I for one wouldn't like having to knock a helpless creature over the head, then putting it in your backpack to travel around, I wouldn't like having to do that to a helpless penguin... That just doesn't seem right. Insted, why not capture the animals in harmless traps!

What you can do is buy certain traps, from a Hunter vendor, that are specific for one type of creature. Maybe cages for ground animals, and harmless snares for the flyng creature. You can set this trap up in a certain location, maybe put bait in it to increase the probability of catching a creature. After that, you can go around and do whatever else you want on the planet. Whenever you want to check on the traps, you go back to where you put them, and take the trapped animal back to your home planet. No harm done!

Now, the more agressive space traveler might not like this idea... That's okay! Who says you can't use traps that instantly kill the creature, like a mine? I wouldn't really use them except for combat, as they would have some set backs after activating. Any penguin that walks over a land mine wouldn't make it... That's why you wouldn't be able to display the living creature (well, unless it has antlers or something you can mount on a wall), or keep it as a pet.

Anyways, leave suggestions and comments below. Give your honest opinion and vote in the poll. Thanks! :D

2. Shotgun Steve

Shotgun Steve Zero Gravity Genie

So, this is an expansion of the feature to capture creatures for study aboard your space ship?

Nice.

3. Xploding_Cherry

Well, glad to see 4 people support the idea. It is strange that it says only 2 people have read the post, though... :p

4. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Not bad. In fact, traps in general could be a good addition to the game. Harmless ones to capture creatures, and harmful ones to set up defenses (minefields, yay! :D)

Oh! Oh! Imagine combining this with the DNA Mixing thing... TRAPPING PLAYERS! You'd capture another player like a creature and take him to your starbase and experiment with him... Ok, the player might get bored but oh god if it wouldn't be great to role-play!

5. Bjorn

Bjorn Subatomic Cosmonaut

Catching, Using traps, both are fun.

6. uigfnbxs

uigfnbxs Big Damn Hero

This would be nice, although you can just dig a ditch into the ground and you trap them. But who likes simplicity?

7. Xploding_Cherry

What if they fly? Or can jump really high?

Or can wall jump like a ninja...:ninja:
    Now the devs have to add ninjas now. Hmm... Ninja Penguins.