Modding Help Translating the game English>Dutch

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Michelrpg, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Michelrpg

Michelrpg Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(I'm just going to copypaste my original thread here)

So there you have it. I want to try my hand at translating this game from dutch to english, but long story short; I don't know anything about the technical side of this. Do I need to install a certain program? Which files do I work with? How do I check to see if my translations actually fit the textbox without having to constantly boot the game up and go to that specific scene/item etc?

My apologies for so many questions, translating is something I don't have an issue with, but this technical side of it seems somewhat overwhelming. My intention is to solely translate the ingame text first, and worry about turning it into a "modpack" and editing the graphical displays of words later.

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

~Michel~

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You need a xnb unpacker so that all the relevant files can be unpacked, then you need to take the english versions of the files, translate them into dutch (Including changing text on textures where needed), rename them to be the dutch-localized version, and repack them.
      And then, you need a SMAPI mod that makes it possible to use more then the languages SDV natively allows to be selected...

In short, dont bother localizing until SMAPI makes it doable for custom languages to be added in the future.

• Michelrpg

I see. So it's not just a matter of "open a file, translate the necessary parts", I will have to work on several different files. Thank you. As I stated, I'm new to pretty much all this technical stuff, so I'm trying to learn this one step at a time.

[edit]

For actual text/story/event/etc translations, which files would be the relevant ones?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
        • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Everything in Content/Strings, keep in mind that both the default (english) and translated (with .<ln-LN> suffix) versions are in that folder
          Those are just for the raw text across the game, any text embedded in images will be in one of the other folders, but can be identified by the file existing multiple times, just with a different language suffix.

• Michelrpg

So Ive translated a few files, and I guess here is where the tricky part begins; how can I check if my text does not exceed the text limit, or if the file is edited properly? Should I re-pack it and just name it after a language Im not using (say, German), and start the game in german, to see if it applied properly? Or are there specific programs for that?

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

There is no actual hard text limit, just a point where text starts being displayed outside of its intended area. :p
              For now I would recommend doing exactly that though, it works and lets you see the result in-game.

You will know if you made a edit mistake if the game immediately crashes :p

• Michelrpg

Well... this project is on hold now for for the next few weeks... I do intend to continue it, but I lost someone very dear to me not long after my last post, and its just not possible for me to concentrate on this anymore. Thank you for your advice. I do hope I'll be able to continue this project soon, as I was excited about it.

• janfokke

janfokke Yeah, You!

• janfokke

janfokke Yeah, You!

GraftMS likes this.
                • GraftMS

GraftMS Space Hobo

Janfokke, Great work! I was looking for a translation to have my kids play Stardew as well, so I'll start them on it asap.

Would you prefer any feedback on this forum, or as issues on GitHub?

Depending on how my kids react, I might be open to actively editing. How would I be able to contribute?

• roxxie97

roxxie97 Void-Bound Voyager

janfokke: I saw on github you finished the dutch translation to the game. Maybe you can put it on Nexusmods :) I bet more people will find the translation! Thanks for all the hard work though!