1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Transferring Files?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Mile-High Hat, Sep 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mile-High Hat

Mile-High Hat 2.7182818284590...

so, my laptop finally broke, after months of bluescreening every restart. fortunately, my Steam files - including my Starbound data - were on my microSD card, which i was able to safely remove. so, my question is: how do i transfer the character files to another computer? install Steam and replace the steamapps>common>starbound>storage directory files, right?

2. CaptainTaz

CaptainTaz Void-Bound Voyager

I dunno how much you have, but every time I've moved PCs or had to wipe and start from fresh, I backed up my entire steam folder (and the "My Games" folder in the documents library that a lot of games have save data saved to) and then put them right where they came from (in steam's case, the "program files x86" or something-like-that folder. Never had to reinstall since my first PC (the one I have is my third so far).

It should work if you put your common folder (or starbound folders) right where they came from.

3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

The storage folder holds everything that is saved in starbound. Your config, your logs, your player data and your universe.
    Copying the storage folder to the new starbound installation is all you have to do :)

~ Iris ~

4. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Marking as resolved and closing.

Regards
    Iris Blanche

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.