Tornado!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by seth0et0holth, Mar 17, 2017.

1. seth0et0holth

seth0et0holth Star Wrangler

I made a thread on disasters here a long time ago, but I don't want to necropost it, especially since I've thought of these specific reworks for tornadoes/severe thunderstorms only (and nothing new really for the other disasters so far, etc) and I wanted to go more in-depth on this.

So here's my idea for implementing severe thunderstorms and tornadoes alone, entirely reworked from my previous disaster thread.

• Severe Thunderstorm (with hail and flooding) and Tornado
    • Only happens on the Flat Farm and Mining Farm (idea for this is assuming the different styles of farms implement what you want Stardew Valley to be - river farm seems more like something not in Tornado Alley area, and Forest Farm is kind of an English idyllic thing to me, and monster farm would make things too much of a challenge at the beginning - idea being it's a specific hazard of the Flat and Mining/Hilly farms since those remind me of the Great Plains (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska) and Intermountain West like Montana or Colorado in US or Alberta in Canada - places that regularly get smacked with tornadoes and bad storms a lot
    • During late spring and early fall, 10% chance of any rainy day becoming a severe thunderstorm, 3-5% chance of tornado spawn during severe thunderstorm
    • Flooding can randomly ruin crops via mechanism lightning does BUT in trade for ruining some crops, removes need to water for three days so has benefit to early game non-automated watering.
    • Hail shares the crop damage for flooding and lightning so no new coding needed, and if you're out in it you lose health much as you would from slime hits. Results in collectible Frozen Geodes and Yeti Tears in place of ruined crops.
    • Tornado announced with siren sound and/or tornado warning graphic on TV with flavor text of the warning. Any harvestables are lost and go to your gold for lowest quality though renewable harvestable crops and trees NOT destroyed. Random junk flung around town, some of which may be collectibles or rares, some trash.
    • If you're stupid enough (or just want to see what happens) and don't go inside when the siren goes off or when the tv shows the tornado warning - you lose health, pass out, and wake up in Harvey's clinic with him talking about your getting smacked by a flying cow (in homage to that famous scene in Twister)
    • Eventing of cleanup for next day - if you help with the cleanup and return items belonging to villagers/liked gifts raise friendship