Top 3: Favorite Game Series

Discussion in 'Games' started by Aytie, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Aytie

Aytie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What are your top 3 game series' of all time?!
    Your top 3 could be anywhere from a 2 game exclusive to a whole 15 part succession of games!

Here's my list (starting from my most favorite):
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Dark Souls
    • Pikmin
    Why I like these series':
    The adventure quality honestly, it doesn't matter what the graphics are for me. As long as the story is in depth and mystery packed.

Legend of Zelda built the foundation for my love of adventure games. I grew up with this series and it's aged oh-so-well. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are timeless games and I hope one day every single one of my friends has a chance to dive into the depths of these adventures.

That's why when I came across Dark Souls I became overwhelmed with excitement, the combat in the Dark Souls series is nearly identical to LoZ. In my opinion, Dark Souls is literally just Legend of Zelda on 'roids. The difficulty and "throw you right in with no tutorial" esc of this game caught my attention immediately. Playing Dark Souls is a commitment, not a happy pass-time.

Last but not least, Pikmin. So cute! When I was small Pikmin was one of my favorite pass times and it's nuzzled into a special place in my heart. I'll never forget waking up at 9:00AM, switching my GameCube on and getting down to business.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Hm, I can't actually think of many games I've played that have been part of a series beyond the standard ones. So I'll be pretty boring. In no order:

Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario
    Diablo

LoZ for reasons mentioned. Plus the story-telling is amazing. I spent countless hours playing the original 2 games and countless more playing OoT and MM. It's the only series I've played many multiple different games.

Super Mario Bros. was my first game for console. I played the first, second, and third for years (still occasionally play on emulator). I've also spent a lot of time playing Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine. Not to mention the offshoots of Mario Kart games and Mario Party games.

Diablo series is probably number one on this list. It's the only game series that I've consistently played for years and am still playing almost daily. Didn't get into the first one very much but, oh boy, Diablo 2 might be my favourite game of all time. I've also played Diablo 3 since release which is 5 years now.

Lastly, I'm going to add a fourth, honourable mention to the list because why not. The Knytt series of games (Knytt, Knytt Stories, Knytt Underground) by Nifflas are amazing games. I've played them on and off for the last 10 years and enjoy them immensely.

conner360 and Aytie like this.
  3. MS_NorthEastern

MS_NorthEastern Orbital Explorer

• Elder Scrolls
    • Borderlands
    • Dishonored
    I absolutely adored Skyrim when it came out, and still play it from time to time. It is this extremity immersive, choice heavy pit of content. Every RPG that has come after it has learned from it and are compared to it.

Borderlands (We don't talk about the pre-sequel) Is are series characterized by stylized cell shaded graphics, crude and dark comedy, and a robust FPS RPG combat system that, thanks to it's gun generation system is deeper than almost anything else. Other games have tried to do the same, but none do it as well.

Dishonored is the pinnacle of stealth games for me. I went all the way to get a clean hands ghost run on dishonored 2 on hard mode (that is a run of the game where you kill 0 people and get detected 0 times). Player coice plays a gigantic role, robust stealth and combat game play, interesting graphics, more lore than you can shake a hagfish at ,and it has a lot of replayibility. Each level can take from, literally 10 minutes (the dust district) at least, to over 4 hours at most. Also, more than one play through is necessary to get the full experience because of the vast levels, and how player actions directly affect the world, how the player deals with situations, and what situations the player is put into.

Honorable mention is the payday series. Borderlands is great for doing entire campaigns with friends, but payday is the best in the business for high octane, or stealthy, co-op FPS RPG action

4. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Diablo
    2. Doom
    3: The Elder Scrolls

What can I say about Diablo? Hmm... I can say that Diablo is one of the best RPGs of all time, but you already know that, don't you? In Diablo II LoD -to be exact-, I've spend so many days playing it over and over again, trying different builds and mods, and it never gets boring or old. Vanilla Diablo has a first place in my hypotethical scale of winners and I don't think there is a need to say why. Uhmh... what? Oh, you want to hear that... Allright. So there is a random maps, when you start a new character (option to generate new map every time you start your game via mod), huge quantity of equipment, moderate amount of skills, interesting enemies, good locations, and GRINDFEST. Also, hardcore option is awesome for practicing (read; smashing your keyboard with your head), because when you die, your character stay dead. I don't even speak about mods. First and second Diablo has always been a number 1 for me -except third installment, which require stable internet connection to play-. :catcry:

First Doom is one and only game, that caused major revolution on the field of FPS games. Yeah, story is cliché: portal to hell has opened and you have to stop them at all cost. You, as a marine, equiped with few weapons, facing the hordes of hell and defeat the source of evil. Even if Doom was released back in 90's, the gameplay is still awesome and community still making maps for this game. The level design is 'weird', weapon selection is 'laughable' and enemies too 'sprite-y' these days, but they are the reason, why I love this game. And while is this game really old -but gold- you can't run it on modern PCs. With the program called 'GZDoom', it's playable on modern PCs (even on my computer remembering dinosaurs), and offering improved resolution and graphic, altogether with mods, which are really awesome. Doom III is better in graphic and sound, has a little larger selection of weapons and harder enemies, but that's all. And DOOM (2016)? Well... I like my computer and I don't want to destroy it, because the requirements for new DOOM are too high. I think there's nothing more to say about this legendary series.

The Elder Scrolls series are best first person RPGs I've played in my short life, because of one thing : ability to explore vast fantasy world and do everything you want (well, not entirely EVERYTHING, but still). First The Elder Scrolls : Arena is best game from series, in my scripted... Err, I mean personal opinion. Nice graphic, high difficulty, choices, and ability to travel across incredible large world on foot are few of the things I like on this game. Daggerfall is bugged as hell, but awesome nonetheless. Morrowind is good, but they added strange level-up system, same with Oblivion, which has the most beautiful forests I've seen in games. And finally, while TES V : Skyrim has most 'living' world, it has strange interface, weird NPCs behavior and bugged mechanics. But still, I love TES series for immersive experience, trustable huge world and option to play however you want.

My honorable metion is Master of Orion series. I didn't play the first game, but MoO II and MoO III are really great strategies. It's simplified and old, sure, but that's why I like them. MoO II was first strategy game I've played, actually, so there's no wonder I play it sometimes and recall the ages of games, when games they was made for entertaining.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Hmm....

So many good series out there, but I would have to say...

Final Fantasy (at least the earlier titles... newer ones, not so much)
    Elder Scrolls (the opposite, they keep getting better except for that Online one)

And um..... wow. What to choose as #3.... plenty of good choices out there. I'm torn between Metroid and Zelda... they are both very solid franchises and they both offer hours upon hours of fun.

Also, an honorable mention goes to Ys, too. The latest few games (the overhead A-RPG ones, not the older bump mechanic ones) are addictingly fun too.

6. Dragon_Knight02

Dragon_Knight02 Space Spelunker

- Persona (turn-base RPG with rich story)
    - Borderlands (destruction, loot, humor, loot, Handsome Jack, loot, Claptrap, loot)
    - Tekken (#1 fight game)

7. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

1. The Elder Scrolls
    2. Command & Conquer
    3. Disgaea

conner360, Aytie and D.M.G. like this.
  8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

1. Megaman ZX series, and ties with Megaman Zero
    2. Pokémon ('specially 2 gen)
    3. Starbound

9. Falkenhayn

Falkenhayn All Chuck Norris backward gets you is Sirron Kcuhc

1. The Witcher Franchise. The Witcher 3, with its phenomenal DLC selection, is my favourite game. The two preceding games also moved me and inspired me. Coupled with the book series and the eventual Netflix series currently in production, ooh la la.
    2. The Borderlands Franchise. Nothing better than blasting enemies to pieces with all the different combinations of guns and other weapons. Though the Pre-Sequel left much to be desired, everything about the franchise is gold.
    3. The Pokémon Franchise. What more is there to say? One of the most influential franchises in gaming, which has taken over the world.

10. Tim the Slipperman

Tim the Slipperman Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. The Elder Scrolls
    2. The Sims
    3. Saints Row

Honorable Mentions:
    Final Fantasy
    Mortal Kombat
    Mega Man
    Super Mario
    Dragon Quest

conner360, Aytie and D.M.G. like this.
  11. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

1. Legend of Zelda ~ (You've been with me since my childhood.)
    2. Metal Gear (Solid) ~ (Still my absolute favorite series for its plot. Say what you want, I love it.)
    3. Fire Emblem ~ (My first, and favorite introduction to tactical RPGs. Still difficult to top.)
    Tough decision what to fit up there... Persona would've made my list but I only somewhat recently got into the series. No Elder Scrolls because that would have to fight with Fallout for position. (lol)

12. Chalyndol

Chalyndol Tentacle Wrangler

Wow, we actually share a few favorites, haha.
    1. The Legend of Zelda (The first game I've ever played was actually Majora's Mask.)
    2. Dark Souls (I enjoy the challenge, though Dark Souls III seemed a bit easy.)
    3. BlazBlue (I enjoy fighting games, and this happens to be my favorite one.)

13. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

1. Elder Scrolls
    With mods you can do pretty much anything you want. I sold some hard drugs to a dragon. There's a lot of stuff to do.

2. Mount&Blade
    Same. Lots of stuff to do, one of the best sandbox games out there. In my opinion, that is. Tons of mods.

3. Crusader Cucks Kings
    Unrestricted fun and all kinds of wacky weirdness. Pretty good medieval simulator. Also there's TES mod called "The Elder Kings", so I have my favorite game in my favorite game.

14. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

1. Bioshock
    pretty much my favorite thing ever

2. Fallout
    Looking past todd "it just works" howard, the games are pretty good, and have a shitload of mods.

3. Portal

15. 3rev.tsol_urenaik

3rev.tsol_urenaik Phantasmal Quasar

1. Suikoden
    - Too bad it's dead.
    2. Breath of Fire
    - Again dead.
    3. SMT Series
    - Too bad I don't have a 3DS..... *sigh*

16. Dean Blunt

Dean Blunt Space Hobo

1. S.T.A.L.K.E.R

2. Serious Sam

3. Bad Rats

17. 3rev.tsol_urenaik

3rev.tsol_urenaik Phantasmal Quasar

Wait wut? Seriously?

18. Larielia

Larielia Subatomic Cosmonaut

1. Harvest Moon/ Story of Seasons
    2. Legend of Zelda
    3. Fire Emblem

19. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

1. Halo
    2. Pokémon
    3. Borderlands

And a special mentions to Doom, Elderscrolls and Half life!

20. Benkinz99

Benkinz99 Pangalactic Porcupine

1. Titanfall Series
    2. Fallout Series
    3. Legend of Zelda Series