Tools to Move Misplaced Seeds/Saplings

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by wafflerie, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. wafflerie

wafflerie Void-Bound Voyager

It seems like a glaring error every time I plant a sapling or crops that grow on a trellis. I admit to having cheated and giving myself a new seed or resetting the day because an apple tree didn't look quite right with the look I was aiming for in my orchard or the super special ancient fruit crop would have to be left behind when I hoe up some land in a new area on my farm.

It's a nit-picky thing, this Stardew farming business.

So how about a new farming tool: spade/shovel?

It'll be similar to the scythe in that it needs no upgrading but will have to be bought or possibly even gifted by Grandpa in his evaluation regardless if you get all four candles lit up (like a consolation prize!) and it could be called Grandpa's Shovel.
    • Shovel out those seeds and move them to where you meant to (the correct fertilizer or the proper place closer to the bee house, etc.).
    • Fertilized or watered soil can't be moved.
    • Certain crops can't be shoveled out (the ones needing a scythe to harvest like wheat and amaranth).
    • Obviously there's a certain point in a fruit tree's life that you can no longer move it (when it's fully grown after 28 days) but I don't see why the farmer is unable to move it before then, especially when it takes such a long time to grow.
    • Maybe no crop can be moved after the first day it's been planted. Like how you don't get fences back if you chop them down the day after setting them up.
    • LOL I'd love to shovel up some snow during the winter and make some snowmen or snow 'goons' for no other reason than because I could.
    Honestly though a shovel seems like an essential tool for any garden or farm.

doctah, Pangaea and _PandorasBox_ like this.
    • _PandorasBox_

_PandorasBox_ Sandwich Man

I've made the mistake of placing a crop where I didn't mean to place it, it's especially annoying when you're early on, and don't have the money to destroy it and buy more.
      For the saplings, I'd imagine they could only be moved within a week of being planted, due to how long it takes to grow, or just do it the fence way, and also have it be on the day it was planted only.

• wafflerie

Yeah, I read an interview with ConcernedApe about how he wants to make the game even more relaxing and just a genuinely more fun/peaceful experience and inconveniences like this are not particularly conducive to that imo.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I didn't realize that I needed this until you made this thread. I'm all for it, even more so for the snowgoons :D

wafflerie likes this.
          • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

This would be nice, yes. I planted an extra bed of cauliflower down the other day only to realize I'd forgotten to plant some coffee, so I had to dig them all up to make room. I also like the idea of digging up the fruit trees if they aren't full grown, it might require a lot of digging (maybe similar to chopping down trees with the beginner axe) but it would be a tremendous convenience for those who like to redecorate their farm every so often.

• wafflerie

Exactly!

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

This is a great idea!

• Scritchowl

Scritchowl Big Damn Hero

Perfect tool for moving trees. Dynamite. When you dont care where the tree goes but just not here.

Seeds should use a rake. Retrieves the seed if not sprouted. Could also get some use in fall if leaf piles get introduced.

Choctofliatrio likes this.
                  • Sennet

Sennet Phantasmal Quasar

This is genius. I had issues planting my orchard just the other day, the placement ended up looking way too wonky.

• Zidane471

Zidane471 Industrial Terraformer

Not quite what the OP wants but in the same spirit. I would really like to move Fruit trees that have grown up. Regular trees are easy to replace so moving isn't an issue. (And they aren't expensive.) Fruit Trees however age over several years so replacing them is very difficult or time consuming. I'm sure other players have experienced the year 2-3 overhaul of their farm. Despite the benefit of fruit tree early game, its hard to know where to plant them that early because who knows how the farm will look in a year or two.

The game has just added a building moving ability and trees can be relocated in real life so why not? Though, the fruit trees that recently were allowed back into the greenhouse may be out of luck here. (In this case, OP's suggestion would come in handy.) The reason I added this here is because saplings would benefit too. Though, a shovel would still be necessary for literal seeds. Moving fruit trees in all stages of life would solve at least part of the problem.

wafflerie likes this.
                      • TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

Spade really is the right tool here. Yes. Who in their right mind has a farm but no spade? Especially if you're poor and need every seed/tree you're planting, you definitely scoop that section up and put it where it needs to be.

wafflerie likes this.
                        • Choctofliatrio

Choctofliatrio Space Hobo

Yeah, that makes sense. Probably it couldn't work on plants that require lots of seeds scattered, like you said, with wheat and kale, etc.