Modding Help to fix a StarBound log error. [also Assistance Requested]

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dilrax, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

as you make mods for starbound it sometimes doesn't load and when checking the log file you can find the problem, most are easy enough to fix once you know how and/or what it refers to... i might still be learning the ropes but there's quite a few i have been able to solve and fix on my own...

but...
    Code:
    Error: Exception caught in Thread Async root loader: ItemException: ItemDescriptor 
    spec variant not list, map, string, or null
    any one got any idea what this one is about or mean? never had this one before so i don't have the slightest clue on how to work around it... so uhh... anyone else have any idea's?

2. Seterwind

Seterwind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I personally find running the server gives more specific errors would you be able to list what Item you think is missing the ItemDescriptor.

3. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

not that i know of, i cant be exact but i think its one of two items which both i was working on, ( A ) a workstation, and ( B ) a gun, which although is in testing i know it works to some degree, where as the workstation im pretty sure might be the cause...

Edit:
    i have worked out that it was the crafting station i attempted to make, but what about it exactly that caused the error i have no idea about.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  4. coolsp0t

coolsp0t Phantasmal Quasar

This message calls you that the server and the client not using the same files. The Server and client needs everytimes the same fileset, because when this not happens a synchronisation is logical not possible. This also happens when you forget a commatar in your file, because the Classmethod "ItemDescriptor" waits for given arguments and the given returns gots not the right Dataformat or something like else. The possible arguments are listed for you.

5. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

as much as i understood half of that... i think i'll leave the crafting table be for now, though i also think i have an idea on what in particular its about....

on a side note how ever...

Code:
    Error: Could not load /projectiles/explosions/bulletexplosion/Ionexplosion.png:0 asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No associated frames file found for image '/projectiles/explosions/bulletexplosion/Ionexplosion.png' while resolving image frame '/projectiles/explosions/bulletexplosion/Ionexplosion.png:0'
    im having some trouble trying to solve this one... im not sure if its just the animation, image and or frames in general or something else but it appears that no matter what i try i get this same error even though the projectile works in game there is nothing of the explosion. i can only think it might be in relation to its sprite size but it still fails to work when made smaller...

6. vileRaisin

vileRaisin Tentacle Wrangler

You need a Ionexplosion.frames file,

Here is an example file I took from /assets/projectiles/burningstatusprojectile/burningstatusprojectile.frames
    Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [8, 6],
        "dimensions" : [4, 1],

"names" : [
          [ "0", "1", "2", "3" ]
        ]
      }
    }

7. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

i know that and i have one, majority of the guns in my mod use explosion effect's, though for some reason its still got a problem with this one, only thing i can think of is possible size requirements, i have 4 files, frames, png, config and projectile, just like the other explosions of the other weapons but the only difference is this one uses a custom explosion sprite, strangely the custom explosion i used before it had worked err... well visible but weird like it rained from the sky...
    Code:
    }
    "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [100, 50],
        "dimensions" : [8, 1],

"names" : [
          [ "0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", 7" ]
        ]
      }
    }

but i just noticed something minor that was missing in the code... :facepalm: which i added but yet it still has a problem with the file, or well... the PNG as it says...
    |[​IMG]|

8. Kitaen Silva

Kitaen Silva Phantasmal Quasar

Alnitak and I played hell trying to get any amount of functionality when we started working with *.frames and *.animation files... Granted, it was because we were trying to create an entirely new type of monster using humanoid parts, but in the end most of our problem was in making sure that the information in the *.animation file correlated with what was in the *.frames and the actual image.

As you probably noticed in the previous room, I'm still very new to coding, so please take the things I say with a grain of salt...

Check your *.animation file and make sure that it's accommodating for any changes you're making to the *.frames file, just to be sure?

Edit:

Maybe it might help to give a proper name to the set of frames.

[ "impact.1" , "impact.2" , "impact.3" ] (etc., for all eight frames)

Then in the *.animation file, the respective location(s) will need at least two (maybe more?) locations edited. Near the top, you'll have to be telling it how many frames to expect, and then somewhere lower you'll have to tell it what *.frames file to look at, where you also have to tell it what portion of the image to look at, in this case, you'd be putting "impact.<frames>" as what it needs, since there's multiple parts of the image it needs to reference and they're all named accordingly with the proper number - "impact.1" , "impact.2" - and so forth.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  9. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

im also rather new to some degree also so... i know the feeling, but this doesn't use an animation file, the only time i used an animation file was for a dust effect and the muzzle flash, this error is in the explosion animation from the projectile impact, its got me baffled on how to solve it...

10. Kitaen Silva

(Whoops. I was in the middle of editing my post when you responded. x ux; )

This looks like it needs an animation file though, to tell it what to do with the frames of the animation. Can't have an animated explosion without an *.animation to tell the *.frames what to do, I don't think?

11. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

hey it worked fine with the "Nova cannon" of mine, fires a short range grenade that explodes and launches its explosion forwards.
    [​IMG] not the best of pictures but you can see the 'explosion' on the right, the dust puff to the left of it in an animation grenade explosion, both are separate file's and it works perfectly fine... but with this current problem, even if i duplicate this guns effect i get this error in the explosion file... :lod:

12. Kitaen Silva

Huh, that does sound strange. Are there any duplicate names, by any chance? I don't know why there would be, but that might be something worth checking.

I'd be much more able to help if we were using some sort of collaboration utility like Gobby or Google Docs in conjunction with a screensharing utility like join.me or Skype, but there's also the fact that I've not actually poked into guns and projectiles myself just yet - that won't come about until a bit later in my own mod.

Unrelated: Woo, fluffy space raptor. I knew your avatar was related to that mod, but still. =3

13. Seterwind

Seterwind Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I could help if you would upload your code somewhere I could download and help you debug it. I'm kind of a gun/projectile guru at this point.

14. Dilrax

Dilrax Ketchup Robot

Yup RyuujinZERO's work, gotta love them fluffy space Raptors :rofl:, the picture was drawn especially for me it was :D *feels lucky, is still amazed and speechless by it* it was based of my starbound character "Reni" who was used to intro my mod and now its updates, i had a little drawing at first and he apparently like that i attempted to make a drawing so he drew the picture for me to use.

but yeah from what i can tell nothing clashes with anything else, its all connected no duplication nothing, and it just doesnt want to work, i still have to get the actual weapon projectile sprite to work... but that isnt the main issue...
    your in luck, because i thinking of looking for someone skilled enough to rebuild this weapon in particular for me if not then solve the problem, i know it will work and can work from earlier testing using default Starbound files but since i added custom sprites to it that's where its decided to not want to work. -.-