1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

To Devs: Why the Choice to Convert Gold Into XP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zezarict, May 10, 2013.

1. Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

This isn't a complaint at all, just a question. What made you decide to make it so at the end of a level, your gold is turned to XP?

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

It's because in the previous iteration, you would have a lot of money saved up from the teleporter event, allowing you to essentially buy any chest you wanted in the next level.

I like the progression of money on the first level, and since the amount of gold they drop scales with time, it would end up being the same progression. I didn't want to just reset it to 0 though, because that would feel awful, so now it converts gold into experience.

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

Ahh, fair enough, in my opinion, it IS good though. To me it also encourages spending (or wasting) your gold on statues :p

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

Oh and while I ahve your attention, a friend wants to know, is there anywhere he can preorder the game or buy the beta now that the kickstarter is over?

• hopoo

hopoo Risk of Rain Developer Developer

We are planning on that, but first I have to make sure that everyone who backed us on Kickstarter gets their proper rewards!

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

Haha, thank you for answering ^_^

I'm starting to wish I had of gotten the soundtrack teir too, I only got the beta tier, but I'm having a lot of fun with it! So thank you

Also, Legendary Wisp/Ancient Wisp needs a serious debuff in my opinion xD

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I agree there - the Wisps can be very agressive when they become Champions. But maybe that's the point.

• DNLK

DNLK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Who said this game supposed to be easy? #dealwithit

• Zezarict

Zezarict Big Damn Hero

I don't mean champion wisps....I mean the boss.

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bitch please -- I've fought 7-8 ancient wisps at once no problem. Either you didn't get a lot of items, or you're playing Miner.

• joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

Yeah i always the the wisp was kind of a joke. How is he tough? Maybe if you are a char that can't dodge? Otherwise you can tell when he is about to attack, you just roll or whatever when he is about to shoot his purple magic. Piece of cake.

• Shrooblord

I think jumping allows you to escape his attacks too, but sometimes it doesn't, so I'm not quite sure what's up with that.

• navar0nius

navar0nius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Of course it doesn't, it's a flaming pillar several times the Miner's size.

• Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, for the Wisp boss, it sets down purple "markers" to tell you which areas are going to explode. If you go in between them, it's pretty easy to dogde them. No need to use an immunity skill.

• Shrooblord

Ooooh so I must be jumping right inbetween the pillars when I try to dodge.
                                Jumping usually enables you to avoid a Wisp's attack, be it a small one or one of the bigger buggers.