Tips on Starbound (Ex: character creation!)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Calm Yuuki, May 8, 2016.

1. Calm Yuuki

Calm Yuuki Void-Bound Voyager

Here is a post where you can leave comments about your own tips on starbound or simply ask questions on this subject. Here is the first i found:

I saw that some people posted complaints about male characters style and wanted to choose (for example) longer hair. I found a way to use female hair instead! To do so, take switch to female character, choose which hair you prefer, then change back to male. Normally, if you dont change hair again, it will keep that style even if its a guy (result: long hair, no rack). For now, i know it works for Hylotl characters. Let me know if this was useful!

2. Calm Yuuki

After testing a bit, it seems that Hylotl, Glitch and Florans don't have gender specific hair, which is why it worked for me. However, Novakids do and my trick doesnt seem to work. How disappointing.

3. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Anyway while you kinda lack any real tips yourself I guess I could share a few. Some of these may be common sense to players who play often but I seen some people who literally only play once as a human and never touch the game again.

1. During character creation you can't take off your clothes and normally you wouldn't know say what color the human underwear will be. In the human case you can switch the hair styles until you get something with a headband or hair tie (even male humans have at least two hair styles that I know of on the current build with such) that will be the same color as the human underwear. So a pink headband will mean pink underwear and so on.

2. On the current build of the game there is a NPC at the outpost who will ask for a cool jacket. A human character can actually start out with one and in case of speed runners the option of clicking an arrow a few times will easily outweigh the time you would normally spent getting the plant fiber and making it.

3. Your pet color is randomize and whatever you end up with is permanent. If you are aiming for a color for your pet then you may as well keep creating/deleting characters until you get what you want. I really do wish that was just an option.

4. Novakids start out with guns and the other races start out with different melee weapons but always with the exact same stats for that race. So for example the human will always get a Broken Hero Sword as their two handed weapon that have 41 dps where the other races will get their own special two handed weapons with different dps. As races matter very little at the moment and your starting gear is one of the few things that aren't randomize it may be worth comparing your options in terms of min-maxing dps if you are a speed runner or just want to survive hardcore regardless of character and find the start to be the hardest point of the game.

5. Different characters will have different ship upgrades. Off the top of my head Glitch have the most rooms by the final upgrade, Novakid is basically a long train for a ship which some people may hate and while up for debate Hylotl ship is pretty sexy as it is nice to look at and have a nice balance in terms of space.

6. Different races while matter very little at the end of the day will often state different facts/opinions when you examine things. If you care for say Glitch's lore then for the best results you may want to play as a Glitch to see how they think.

7. As of the current build while races matter very little they do have different looking armor. While you may hate the endgame armor for say Hylotl that doesn't mean humans would be wearing the same thing at that point of the game.

Disclaimer: Some of this might change with 1.0, I believe they are removing racial armor for example.

4. Calm Yuuki

Thanks a lot for your contribution to this post! I had no idea about #1. Ill use that for my next human character.