Modding Help Tiled And Importing The Tilesets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by EclipticWulf, Jun 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EclipticWulf

EclipticWulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As I am trying to start using Tiled, I'm running into issues importing the tilesets for Starbound. I tried importing the .json files in unpacked/tilesets/packed and I get an error saying that not everything could be loaded. I also tried importing the .png files from tiled/packed/(liquids, materials, miscellaneous, objects) and they show up as 1/16 a tiled grid square so I can't really do much with them.

I feel I am missing the obvious and have googled and found various tutorials on how to do this (namely this one had the most information), but I feel I am just not doing something right.

Thanks for any help, and an example of the .json error can be seen below.
    [​IMG]

2. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

The Starbound developers left a file marked blackTemplate.json in the dungeons folder; using that will speed up your dungeon making significantly, allowing you to jump right into the map making without too much prepwork. (just be sure to make a back-up blackTemplate.json for when you want to make more)

In the top left corner there is a tab marked "Map" under it you will find "Add External Tileset...". From there you can select any .json file in the tilesets folder. Remember that some objects fall into more than one group; the Human ship teleporter falls into the human race, teleporter, and light categories

EclipticWulf likes this.
  3. EclipticWulf

Oh, thanks for the answer! Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I have a .tmx file open and went to Map > Add External Tileset then navigated to dungeons and tried adding the blankTemplate.json but I got this error.

[​IMG]

4. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

5. Sparklink

Sparklink Ketchup Robot

Sorry what I had meant is that you edit the blankTemplate.json, not use it as an external tile set.

6. EclipticWulf

I've looked at threads to no luck. However, I'm using the latest version, so that's probably my issue.
    Tiled has a version repository right? I don't remember seeing one but I may have missed it.

Ah, my bad. Thank you then, I'll see what I can do.

7. EclipticWulf

Following this tutorial (and now using 0.15.2), I am still getting the same issues. The tiles are not finding the images, so it just looks like this:
    [​IMG]

8. katana

katana Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did you make sure to follow it *exactly*? Unpack to your Starbound install's assets dir, and all those assets need to be in a dir named "packed".

So if you were using a Steam copy, you'd find your player.config file unpacked to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\assets\packed\player.config - note it MUST be in your Starbound install directory.

It's a bit annoying - you have to be very exact in where you unpack to.

EclipticWulf likes this.
  9. EclipticWulf

That seems to have worked. I must have not realized how picky it would be. I appreciate it!