1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Flashlights

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TehEpikMonk, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kjulo

Kjulo Subatomic Cosmonaut

Flash lights are a neat feature, but i belive that forcing people to equip a flashlight in had in caves makes all people who focus on shields or 2 handed weapons useless.

2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I would be highly surprised if flashlights were the only method of lighting stuff up underground. I mean worst case scenario you just walk around placing a bunch of torches as you go.

3. Kjulo

Kjulo Subatomic Cosmonaut

True, but forcing a such downgrade of effectivity of shields and 2 handed weapons would probaly scare most people away from using them.

4. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

They wouldn't be less effective, they'd just be slightly more inconvenient.

5. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Well hell, what do you want, exploring dark caves is not as easy as bringing down your huge two-handed weapon and swinging it like crazy in the dark :D

This game will probably reward versatility rather than ultra-specialized characters, after all, it's about exploring lots of completely different planets and environments, the key word is Adaptation.

Aviakio and Fishbertus like this.
  6. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Yeah. I think caves will be the best part of the game for combat because you can't see all around you.

7. Mikey

Mikey Subatomic Cosmonaut

I would like to respectfully disagree, I think caves will provide the scariest combat.

8. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

Aren't they always?

Mikey likes this.
  9. O.o_That_Guy_o.O

O.o_That_Guy_o.O Void-Bound Voyager

game needs dungeons and skeletron.. xDD

10. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

no

just...

no.

11. O.o_That_Guy_o.O

i wonder if materials will be based off of the type the planet is... most likely it will but will there be a common type of ore usually found on most planets?

12. Techgamer

Techgamer Big Damn Hero

erm, what does that have to do with this thread? :confused:

But yes, that would be awesome but sometimes a pain to that certain planet to find a certain ore :D

13. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Exactly my point good sir.

Mikey likes this.
  14. O.o_That_Guy_o.O

everyone was talking about caves and stuff so i got to wondering... just keeping a conversation... = 3=

15. FungusTrooper

FungusTrooper Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah I'm all for this, too. When I first found you could throw torches in Terraria I was amazed, as was I at the dynamic light mod in Minecraft. This is high up on my "best features" list :).

16. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The lighting sure is awesome, i can not be dissapoint, but wait! What if they make it even more dynamic, like the shadows move according to the time of day, that would be pretty sweet, in my opinion.
    Still, it is awesome just they way it is right now, WHY U NO RELEASE!?!??!!?! :rofl:

17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Just image the scene:
    You and you friends are exploring a dark and misterious cave with your flashlights when suddenly you hear a noise from the above,light up the roof of the cavern and you see an horrible alien monster looking you.You try to shoot it but it's already gone,you point flashlight everywhere but you cant find it.You decide to exit the cave but they get you and rip your trippin' flesh.
    I think I'll love this game.

18. Sir Dusky

Sir Dusky Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm looking forward to this. Really liked the lighting, looks beautiful. :cool:

19. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They will hopefully include several ways to light your way that don't involve hands. Like a hover lamp. Also they can make sure that a two handed weapon is worth the cost.

20. jaxter0987

jaxter0987 Big Damn Hero

I think flashlights are going to epic! This post basically describes my imagination:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.