1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Flashlights

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TehEpikMonk, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Jermex likes this.
  2. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

I love it. I literally squeed with excitement when I saw that.

3. Wazupmaster

Wazupmaster Phantasmal Quasar

You have no idea how excited I am about flashlights. I'm glad the beam isn't too large, too.

4. Gusty

Gusty Pangalactic Porcupine

It adds so much to exploration and risk.
    *walks illuminating enemies behind you... huge pit. dies.*

5. Nike

Nike Master Chief

Im hoping we will be able to attach flashlights to our guns!
    Think about it, it would be like one of those movies from Aliens where you're on a pitch black spacestation because all the wires are cut!
    I do enjoy a scary game. :rofl:

6. Ferengi Latinum Farmer

Ferengi Latinum Farmer Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm loving the thought of them so far. I can picture some multiplayer games where my brother will probably be like "Ok you first, I'll hold the flashlight..."

7. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

This adds so much tension and atmosphere, heck, even the feeling of pure survival, if you're stuck in a dark cave with not much ammo, a flashlight and being surrounded by a shitload of enemies that want your guts...I'm drooling on my keyboard at the moment.

8. Cobaltcakes

Cobaltcakes Cosmic Narwhal

All I can say:

I can't wait to go all Alan Wake up in here.

9. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

My thoughts exactly. Even the drooling.

10. anubis666

anubis666 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Imagine a heat-vision helmet or X-ray visor that showed extra stuff where you looked... :)

11. freeformschooler

freeformschooler Void-Bound Voyager

It's been mentioned there can be planets that are perpetually dark, so it could be a very interesting mechanic there.

More than anything, I'm excited to see 360 degree weapon turning while being held.

Zeska and LazerEagle1 like this.
  12. TheDeviant

TheDeviant Sandwich Man

Definitely going to be an interesting mechanic; dual-wield flashlights for more visibility or have a weapon in the other hand to fight off enemies?

13. Red Space Monkey

Red Space Monkey Phantasmal Quasar

Maybe even use the light as a "weapon" to keep enemies away that hate it?

14. Etalyx

Etalyx Void-Bound Voyager

Seems like everyone missed the torch on the wall at 0:41. As cool as it sounds to be stuck in the dark with only a flashlight...odds are you'll just end up loading the place down with torches like you do in Terraria/Minecraft.

Sorry to rain on some parades :\

TheEnderman likes this.
  15. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

Course Tiy wants to limit items able to be brought down. Who knows HOW many torches you'll be able to bring.

16. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Most people saw that. I assume we're talking about situations where for some reason you can't use them.
    Say, for example, there's no oxygen on the planet. Torches won't work.

17. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

"What was that!?!" *Waves flashlight around* 'A.N.T.I. fell to their death' I hope they have lanterns.

18. -Red-

-Red- Big Damn Hero

*ahem* It's called the "directional torch", not a flashlight. Geez, do one of you read the description?

Seriously though this is an unexpected, though much welcomed, addition. Torches are cool and all but as they illuminate all around you you're constantly aware of what's behind you. With a directional torch it really immerses you into the game, for as you're wandering through the darkness, you will truely only beable to see what your character sees, and as an avid roleplayer I punched those numbers into my brain and it makes a :)

19. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

Gonna dual wield these things and be a jedi knight, aw yeah

Offline, Ferroseed and -Red- like this.
  20. -Red-

-Red- Big Damn Hero

....yes. Yes. YES! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.