This type of gameplay...hmm

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reddestiny921, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

Ready for some random rambling..okay really I sometimes feel like I'm the biggest nerd ever when it comes to games like this for me, not by genre specifically. With all the Harvest Moon games I've played, this game, Pokemon(not sure how to get the "right" 'e' ah well.), Legend of Zelda, etc I always find myself putting myself in the game. Not giving my character my name but really overthinking things as if it was all me. Maybe because I like to write whatever I have two files going at the moment one is much farther than the other since I'm already married in that one. I really like Harvey but after seeing one of Elliot's lines I had to have a second one. So every time I open the game I don't know which one to play.

I want to get to know Elliot again, but then I miss Harvey so I close the game go back to his save talk to Elliot then I have to switch again. After reminding myself again that it's just a game I'm a happy nerd again, though whenever Haley is rude I still want to push her in the river. Terrible ain't it? I assume she can swim, I had an event with Leah, where you lift her to get some fruit from the tree and I'm like I''m not that strong we're both going to fall and break something'.

Anyhoo, if you're a happy nerd who gets a little...okay too much :p into the game then good for you it's fun :D
    *takes her jumbled thoughts elsewhere*

• MagicallyClueless

MagicallyClueless Master Astronaut

Nah, nah, I totally get you. I really insert myself into games like this too, and a lot of people do. How many times have people said "Oh no, I died!" when their character dies in a game? I guess it's like that. Games like this are much easier for me to insert myself into, probably because I become attached to literally any game in which you can court and marry someone. It just makes me excited for cute moments in-game. I kinda realized this when I got married near the end of my first year, while my friend is in the near of her first year and the person she wants to court is at like 2 hearts lol. Cute moments in between the core gameplay always gets me going. And customization. Those two things I freaking LOVE in video games. (I wish you could date in animal crossing </3 )

But yeah, because I insert myself into video games... I'm loyal to a fault. Like, the thought of choosing another candidate makes me feel so guilty. I started another save file using an OC, but I'm still going to marry the same person because I juST CAN'T HELP BUT THINK OF ALL THE TIMES WE'VE HAD TOGETHER. OH, THE VIRTUAL TIMES. WITH A FICTIONAL CHARACTER. I could say it doesn't matter, but screw it, it makes me feel better lmao.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I guess I do have some influence on where and what my characters do... I do immerse myself in games that I enjoy, getting lost/distracted constantly. Probably due to how overactive my imagination is, and how easily distracted as well focused I can get.

It would be the table top gamer in me directing a show, story, or characters in general throughout the worlds in games. Might be a quite separate thing from when I somewhat play myself to an extent. Regardless I do let myself go riding into the sunset quite often daydreaming my next move or choice. :nurutease:

Reddestiny921 likes this.
        • Reddestiny921

LOL exactly, Oh goodie, sometimes I have thoughts and I'm telling myself no one will get it then someone does and :3 I understand that completely no matter how close I can get to my actual look I always pick something different that I simply like. STILL my imagination just gets going and all of sudden I take everything personal, George really loves leeks and I give them to him because it makes me happy. He has a few events and the one where he talks about how he ended up in his wheelchair...man the feels. Now that we're friends he'll sometimes ask, in just dialogue as in it's not a cutscene, if I want to watch TV with him and yes "I will" because even though he's reasonably bitter he's pretty sweet. Before I saw Shane's first cut scene I liked him because he's always alone, either working or drinking and normally characters that are alcoholics have someone in the dark worth getting to know I always have to be friends with him, in fact I love Pam now in several bits of her dialogue it's shown how much she really loves her daughter no matter how it looks on the outside she just needs a friend to clear her head.
          Oh yes the over active imagination just adds to the fun, some games like this I might play as normal as anyone else but in my head there is a soap opera going on and then I get too attached to the save file and all my "friends" and the "love interest". Speaking of I must decide who I'm spending some time with today...hmmm, speaking of I usually skip events with the other candidates so it's not too hard to decide who gets my attention for that play through I'm too soft with my imagination lol.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm.. Can't really say I myself am too soft... Am light hearted though. I love reading, and well... I end up reading everything in game, even if it is something I have read before. Don't mind the repetitive stuff, as it is how it is IRL. For me at least, and probably why I am so use to such things. For the exception of mistakes... Those I just learn from and do a mistake in a different way at times, assuming it is something I actually consider one in the first place.

I guess when it comes down to choosing which to pursue, I just roll with what I have in mind of my head cannon of the character. Always putting myself in others shoes per say; gives another perspective, although in this case it does have some my own influence.

In a manner I go from day to day and don't really truly think beyond the current day; for the exception of goals to reach for or plans I have in mind to get to. Probably why I turtle my way through more often than not. lol

Like a leisurely stroll through the game while most others drive by racing towards their own goals. Taking in the sights and chasing butterflies, and maybe the other little critters if they stayed on screen long enough.

I actually take that perspective to some extent to most other games I play. Granted in some I can't do so to the full extent that I do in something like quite a few of the builder games I play. However it is still there, even if in a light or moderate undertone. At least the ones I play for enjoyment. Some I just play for something to do for entertainment. Very odd one here I guess, but I have quite a selection of different games I go between usually. :nuruhappy:

• Reddestiny921

I could see that, I guess sometimes I get a little to into it so if I see myself in Ellia (Harvey's wife) and in Miana(Elliot's future wife) that's where I get stuck, I don't always read everything over not because I have an issue with it I just get into role when I'm relaxed and in my head the characters say more than what I'm reading just how I am. I with you for sure I don't rush in the slightest, I mean I know others enjoy the game by going for their goals but I just take my time, for no real reason I took a walk in front of Pam's trailer just because I could, while I waited to go meet Elliot working on my fishing in the new file so I have to have energy for that. I am not a hardcore gamer by any means but when I play a game I think about the things I can't do at the moment and with that I really appreciate the work the developers put into each thing I don't care how much decoration is there I just want to see it all, maybe for no reason I'll take a stroll in joja because there are more shelves there. I don't think you're odd it's nice to enjoy games like that :D

Tamorr likes this.
              • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'm a D&Der/Pathfinder player in the non videogaming world, so I tend to be a big fan of the immersive style of things. Truth be, all my Stardew characters are named and designed after old D&D characters I have played because I find it fun and lets me use their old personality and disposition to figuring out what course of action and who to pursue. As for figuring out who to play, I admit I've been focusing on my character Virgil mainly because he is the farthest along so has the highest ability to complete all those narfing achievements because I cannot deny there is a slight completionist drive in me as well. At least in regards to getting them at least once for Steam. :rofl:

• Reddestiny921

I've never played D&D but other games I have done plenty I never really thought of thinking of old characters when playing this game, if I did I bet I'd be even more confused I really like being those random characters that make no sense to others :D. Ellia is decently far, by my slow play standards, though I like knowing that I can do my farm pretty different every time. I know how you feel though I say I'll only do a couple things with a specific character then all of a sudden I'm running out of time because I planned my day out to do a little bit of everything. Fun though :D

Tamorr likes this.
                  • Ambaaargh

It's been pretty fun. My wizard character married Harvey cause nerds of a feather geek out together apparently, where as my old fighter who was sort of the straight-man in a horror game so was very much a "...I just want to have the terrible things stop so I can maybe one day pretend to have a normal life. :speechless:;" took to Penny cause they both were like "heck yeah families! :U" and it's been kind of silly fun building their farms based around them. Like my wizard has a special little dinosaur pen and lots of preserves/kegs for alchemy and is raising slimes...where as my retired fighter has primarily fields of crops and trees and I play them as they always have to accept a monster slaying quest. :rofl:

Tamorr and Reddestiny921 like this.
                    • Reddestiny921

oh that's cool :D, ha yeah us nerds got to stick together mmhmm hehe sometimes I see people doing challenges for games like sixty seconds and it reminds that I could be just as creative with games like this, which is again why I get so lost in what I'm doing.

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

reminds me of something a character in an anime that I like. something in urd's past that was mentioned; Ah! My Goddess series.

Of the story of her time as a child where you was focused on getting a certain type of item for medicine to heal her sister. Taking slephnur the 8 legged horse our for a ride (which is the fastest in the land) to go out and find it. To get so focused on having fun riding the horse that she looses track of what was the original reason she went out. Granted her sister still got that special item to heal her, but it was given by someone else...

Something along those lines happens from time to time with me; where I get so focused from one thing to the next it is like loosing track of time, like the saying "time flies when having fun"

And pretty much what I was referring to was AD&D and table top gaming in general. I'm still an odd one though. Doesn't mean there are not others that hold the perspective, just the way I see it. As I also note that I am weird like gonzo from the muppets. If you know whom that is then you'll know that weirdness I talk of that in a way comes off as odd to some.

I don't let it bother me, as I am my own person and accept that I am who I am while I enjoy what I do.

The works of a continuous mind leading from one to the next, and making some off the wall connections that some may not link at a glance. It is interesting to see many different ways people go about games and entertainment as a whole; as that give me even more inspiration than I could already come up with on my own. After all the more people the more ideas float around. :nuruhappy:

I tend to go at a turtles pace... taking my time. Probably why on my only save right now I am year 2 in summer, and have not even gotten around to get the animal buildings beyond having 2 silos. Busy getting distracted by the wonder in the game. We all love it in some way or another; those that get enthralled that is.

I think my first is Leah, and that much has been determined. Was a tough choice between all the likable characters. Eliot and abby was the other 2 I decided on to choose between when I started. although I really like shane & emily, but at the moment not available. Soon. I believe those are the lucky winners to be next availablely made into candidates. Hopefully others will make it further down the line, as I always like having many options as possibly within reason. Not sure what my second play through will be choosing between, as I have not fully explored the current playthrough; still many things I want to do, but one thing at a time. :nurutease:

• Reddestiny921

I liked what I saw of Ah! My Goddess I just never finished it I remember Urd being my favorite though, it is very easy to get distracted when focused on the game I was just playing running around getting things done. Actually I was also being strange and hiding in Alex's bed while he was in there. For no real reason I just felt like it. With Ellia I'm in year two but I only have four chickens and have only gotten to about 53 in the mines I like the slow playing it's peaceful.

Tamorr likes this.
                          • Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

aye it is the life taking the scenic route per say, leisurely going through the game. That anime I mentioned is one of the few I own both seasons and the movie of... ><

i think I roughly gotten in the low 50s in the mines. Hardly touched fishing, even if I like the mechanic; I just not fond of fishing. lol

chasing butterflies for half my first spring was entertaining, so yeah I know what you mean completely. Mainly walked and talked around my first year while I tended to a small field on the farm.

Wonder if anyone else actually continually goes to town via the south exit instead of the main road. I have been using that route since the beginning, unless I had to deliver something to the CC; but even then I tend to go out the south entrance. At least now I have a brick path leading that way, so I don't get slowed down by trees and tall grass. Most people that I have seen twitch or you tube always usually take the main road, even on the first day. I made sure just to clear a path so I could leave out the south exit on my first day; well cleared the stones, branches, and trees that were in the way.

Probably why I was able to find Leah all over the place due to my aimless path I made. I didn't even know she lived down there until I made the connection latter seeing her exit her house one time. I guess another thing that is very difficult for me is spoilers. It is very difficult to spoil me on the game, and also probably why even if I see text I know it will roughly be new again for me in another play through; but have a general idea roughly whom each person is. Lucky I remember most of their names, as that is something I am not so good at sometimes. Regardless due to just me talking to most I crossed paths with throughout the year progress was made in the heart level of each, and I really wasn't even paying attention to it mostly in the first year.

Now I kind of am, or more like occasionally checking, but not truly worrying about it. making it somewhat organic in nature how much the villagers like me or have I guess a better view of the newcomer in town... Now only if the straw hat didn't hide my character's hair... Having the longest one. :nurushock:

• Ambaaargh

I fully admit that in my very first playthrough when it was the moonlight jelly festival my "crazy person talking to myself" dialogue was as followed:

"Alright yeah! Lets see these moonlight jellies!"
                              "Oh its not really a festival, its just everyone on the docks. Thats kind of not very exciting."
                              "I hear ya Pam. No buffet is kind of a bummer. Alright. Lets find everyone and talk to them and get this done. Ok Lewis. RELEASE THE KRAKENS...or the jellyfish. I am ready for the mediocre!"
                              "...yep that is a jellyfish."
                              "...ok the music for this scene is actually pretty nice. I'll give them tha-OMG THERE ARE BABY JELLYFISH ASFKJSFKDJFLJDFLJS."
                              "Baaaaaby Jellyfiiiiiish....oh hey panning around that cool. Ok this is prolly my favorite song in the game so far its pretty- OMG WHERE DID YOU COME FROM GREEN JELLYFISH HANGING OUT IN FRONT OF MY CHARACTER. I see you there. Shoot. Vincent mentioned you're lucky? Am I lucky? AM I THE CHOSEN ONE?? Reveal your secrets jellyfish!"
                              "...ok this actually is a pretty sweet scene. Its like man...can you imagine having left the city grind job and are now getting to see this...thats pretty boss."

• Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

lol I think I can see myself doing things like that in certain insta.... ooo butterfly. oh umm... during that scene I was just awe struck... then green jelly... mainly just thinking what the implication might of meant, after all I heard someone mention something about it.

Ok, maybe sometimes I feel like an airhead... then the lemony flavor juices in. :nurutease:

• Reddestiny921

Part of getting into it is pretending that things are happening that are not, as far as my game brain is concerned I have coffee with Elliot twice a week as he likes it and I can only give him two gifts. Heh it's nice to pretend with the right imagination. I definitely don't care about spoilers I don't like getting too into certain characters in games like this I know I like bits and pieces of most of the candidates but I have to get to know them in other files. I'm just like that :D

Also lol, I really like that festival it's nice and pretty I could pretend to watch it with Elliot if he would just...not stand where he stands and be by me instead heh.

Tamorr likes this.
                                  • Ambaaargh

I try not to be too spoilery, but I'm also in the same boat that I dont really mind most spoilers cause I find it doesn't really effect my actual enjoyment of experiencing what happens. When I first got the game, I did a quick check of some of the characters because I swear I couldn't find half of them the first time I played and was trying to do the "say hi to everyone" quest. :rofl:

But nah, silly little habits are fun. I was mentioning in a different thread how since I'm married to Harvey, he still goes to the clinic on Tues and Thurs so I like to ride out with a jar of pickled parsnips or coffee as sort of a "I brought you a snack/pick-me-up for your break" cause he loves both of those items. And then on Saturdays I make it a point to always save some of the wine I'm making to give him on the weekends as if to pretend we're sharing a bottle to celeberate the weekend. It's silly, but I find those little things enjoyable.

Tamorr and Reddestiny921 like this.
                                    • Reddestiny921

That's how I am, I don't care about spoilers I just look forward to when I see info myself lol actaully in my test save it took me a couple of days to do that darn quest when you don't know where to look it's like everyone is hiding from you. Though now I'm okay...part of the time, I still lose Sam when he leaves his room. Silly makes them fun alright, that's cute I always have to give him a smooch and cup of coffee before I leave for the day, usually he cooks for me so it's like a trade :D. I don't need every tiny detail in the game that I like but I do like being able to pretend a little in nice relaxed games, sometimes I imagine him giving me the silent treatment after he's realized I spent all day in the mines without any food.

Tamorr likes this.
                                      • Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Speaking of spacey moments, and I thought I was a bit flighty...

Was just one day visiting Leah, she speaks of making something spicy. Food on the mind I was yeah sure wouldn't mind trying that. Then soon as I exited the house I get her picnic cut-scene.

Overjoyed and she made something spicy. The flighty bit was her mentioning along the lines of thinking of talking to me when we crossed paths. I was but I was just in your house, and umm... ok. more or less that event left me confused but happy in a comical sense. I had not ever seen a certain cut-scene earlier like most would. Back when it was possible to miss heart events. So... It was an awkward moment near the end of that one.

the main thing I was thinking was who was that, and I didn't even get to taste anything in the picnic she brought out. I was so eager to have a bite too. Ah well, maybe when I finally get my house upgraded I will have that lovely taste of her cooking. aught to work on that, as that is my next long term goal I have in mind to finish. Hopefully I'll get the upgrade before winter hits again, but I'm in no rush.

Hope that wasn't letting too much into what the scene was about. Makes a bit more sense if you have seen that one before, and know of the phone call scene that I have yet to see. I've only heard of it so far. So makes for a different story than your usually; at least what was going on in my head, although it was mainly food in my mind at that moment.

I think many of the events or cut-scenes always managed to be at surprising moments. Out of the blue per say. The story of the Nature enthusiast meet another with similar interests. :nuruhappy:

• Reddestiny921

I haven't seen that scene yet but I probably will soon she's my friend in my main save, I know how you feel in the stardew valley fair if you click on the grill you can eat a survival burger, but the other festivals don't let you eat. It's like all this food gone to waste let me take it home and use it in the mines :D I do like it when Harvey gives me his complete breakfast. He said he didn't eat as well as he should as a bachelor but once married he always insists that I...er my character, should eat right hehe, which she never does it's all cookies and chocolate cake :D lol. I like the events and seeing more about the characters helps me imagine things even more clearly.

Tamorr likes this.