Things you wish you knew as a new player...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pmart4, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Dodging Rain

Dodging Rain Phantasmal Quasar

This one is worth a mention.

xFishbone likes this.
    • SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

o.o really cool

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

In case it hasn't already been noted: donate, yes donate, your first ancient seed to the museum. You will get back one as a prize, and the one you gave counts towards your artifact total. If you plant that first one and use the Seed Maker to multiple the number of ancient seeds from the first fruit, those new seeds will not count as artifacts. Only the first seed you get does.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

i do believe u cant plant the artifact version anyway.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Absolutely: you can plant it. To clarify, my only point was that if you tried to turn any other ancient seed you made from its fruit into the museum, that seed would not count as an artifact.

• meatpardle

meatpardle Star Wrangler

Yeah it's a completely different item, the artifact image is a seed only while what you turn out of a seed maker will be in packet form.

• Julian McQueen

Julian McQueen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When at the luau, the quality of the crop you put in the soup affects how the governor reacts to it.

• squidspeaker

squidspeaker Subatomic Cosmonaut

strawberries make you lots of money

• TheMediocreMrRook

TheMediocreMrRook Pangalactic Porcupine

Does your level of farming affect the quality of stuff you get? If it does, I can totally see eating a farmer's lunch before harvest being worth it.

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I see someone beat me to the chest convo. That is still blowing my mind. :rofl:

Other than that, the other thing I kind of wish I knew was that the Joja mart sells wallpaper/flooring each day as well. The first time I played I kind of quickly browsed their stuff but didn't really think much of it...much less stop to consider they would also rotate their wallpaper/flooring since at the start of the game I was all about trying to clear land and get a semi passable farm going. Only in later game when I started trying to make my house look nice did I realize it, and of course it was right after I finished the community center so wellp! Now I pray to random luck that one day I may get a nice green themed wallpaper. In theory there is at least 2 of them in rotation...or so I hear. *cries*

Granted its JojaMart prices but when you are trapped in praying to the random generator gods for a particular wallpaper for your house, having the other store give you at least one extra option is really nice.

• LeBui

LeBui The Court

Don't cut all your long grass on the first day like I did </3

Also don't build the first tier of sprinkler, it's awful, lol. Build quality sprinklers and if you have a 3x3 (the bigger the grid, the better the odds) grid of cauliflower, melon, or pumpkin, growing at the same time, there's a chance you'll grow a MASSIVE one when they mature, which can be broken to yield a whole bunch of the crop, it's nice.

Make bee houses and plant flowers near them! It's great cash! Also make sure to improve all of your high-value crops in the preserve jars and kegs. It's worth it. Also the quality of the crop has nothing to do with the quality of the artisan good you make, so use all your regular-quality crops for them.

Don't throw away plant fiber like I did! It's useful later!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
                        • Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

Isn't that 3x3?

• LeBui

LeBui The Court

I thought so too but I couldn't get it to work with 3x3 plots, I might very well be wrong. It only worked for me when I had 4x4 plots via iridium sprinklers.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

It's any plot with a minimum of a 3x3 area of those three crops, in the same stage of growth. The larger the area, the higher the chance as long as it is a minimum of an uninterrupted 3x3 plot.

• LeBui

LeBui The Court

okay, sorry about that, I'll edit it ^^

Nurio likes this.
                                • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

You don't really have to edit it- presumably anyone reading the thread would get that far.

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It's all good! And I can see why it would be considered that way. Only having a 3x3 area gives a single chance, but the area you described will actually increase the amount of times it could happen enough that its more likely to show up...where as someone could prolly do a bunch of single 3x3 plots and never come across a mega crop. Goodness knows I've yet to ever encounter one myself. :rofl:

• Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

^^
                                      This.

If you have a 4x4, say...

ABCD
                                      EFGH
                                      IJKL
                                      MNOP

You've got more chances:

1). ABC, EFG, IJK
                                      2). BCD, FGH, JKL
                                      3). EFG, IJK, MNO
                                      4). FGH, JKL, NOP

So you get 4 chances instead of just 1 to get a giant crop if you increase it to 4x4.

• xFishbone

xFishbone Cosmic Narwhal

for any uninterrupted NxM area of crop,

number of qualifying crops = (N-2) x (M-2)
                                        chance per qualifying crop = 1%

• Nurio

Nurio Cosmic Narwhal

I thought of mentioning this, but then I decided not to because it's not exact. You're not taking into account the situation where a giant crop actually sprouts, which should take away a few qualifying crops