Things you wish you knew as a new player...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pmart4, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Tyken

Tyken Subatomic Cosmonaut

How to make money and how to spend it wisely. By winter first year I was screwed on gold.

Reddestiny921 likes this.
    • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Think I'll add one other thing...

There are several ways you can approach this game! For some, it's all about the money and the best ways to maximize profits. Others might be more interested in befriending everyone in town. Still others are more interested in going to the mines and trying to spend as much time mining. There is no one way to play this game, go with whatever style fits you best.

LeBui, SmaugBaggins and Reddestiny921 like this.
      • Reddestiny921

Reddestiny921 Pangalactic Porcupine

that's the best way to go about it, though I always get tempted by the mines it's fun in there :D

• estavash

estavash Tentacle Wrangler

I agree, I'm on my third playthrough, and I've gotten my gold star parsnips in the first spring pretty easily these last two times. I plant in blocks of nine for easy watering, so 27 parsnips every 4 days. Parsnips are liked by a lot of villagers, so the regular ones don't go to waste, and this many quick harvests means you can level up your farming skill really quickly, making gold star melons that much easier in summer. :)

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Same as what folks said...my first play through I obviously doofed on getting 5 gold star parsnips, but the later playthroughs when I knew I was going to need to get 5 gold star ones and how 80% of the town loves parsnips, I ended up going heavy on the snips and using fertilizer the second it became an option and was able to get five. I have more trouble getting 5 gold star melons in the first year...usually I just manage to squeak by. X_x

• Tyken

Tyken Subatomic Cosmonaut

Might I add on your add on? While its true, others prefer to take a more casual approach, any play style is enhanced with money. At least the knowledge of how to maximize your effects, even without going as far as to min/max.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

I don't think I've seen this, said, so... For Energy to price ratio, when the best sources of food is what Gus sells at the Saloon, the Salad is the best item out of his infinite stock. 113 Energy for 200 gold for Salads, as opposed to the 150 energy for 300 gold that you get from pizza- which seems to be the most popular item for some reason.

• Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

Large farming of hops in the summer plus about 4 deluxe barns worth of kegs is really worth it

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

Being new, though, you need to be aware of what trellis crops are before you do this. I mean, it should be obvious fast, but it wouldn't take much to accidentally block off multiple crops because you didn't know you couldn't walk through them.

• Cider

Cider Ketchup Robot

I don't know, I figured it out after planting my first one.

• everfreefire

everfreefire Big Damn Hero

As I said, it depends on how you plant. I figured it out fast as well, but if you never try to move through the hops, I can see it being overlooked.

• Sutremaine

Sutremaine Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wish I knew about some of the control quirks. Depending on what item you have selected, you can hold down the right OR left mouse button and run around gathering crops instead of picking each one manually. If you have seeds selected as your item, you can gather crops and immediately put those seeds down.

On a minor note, I wish I'd gotten rabbits earlier. They can take a while to drop that item needed for the bundle.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Of the "self-generating" artisan goods, those that come from tapped trees continue in winter. Don't forget to check them regularly.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
                            • Zai Lily

Zai Lily Void-Bound Voyager

Nope.
                              "The encroaching weeds have damaged some of your farm." I've had new sticks/rocks/weeds destroy my paths today. Had to go smelt some quartz to fix it since I was out of crystal flooring. > .<
                              It does, however, prevent new trees from popping up, I believe. I'm still testing that with my tapper farm setup. :3

• meatpardle

meatpardle Star Wrangler

Stuff can spawn in two ways - spread from existing or random spawn. I believe paths prevent the spread of weeds/rocks/sticks but not the random spawning.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
                                • Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I personally found the opposite. Like I never have a random weed/rock/stick appear where I set a path, but at one point I had overlooked the bottom right corner of my farm where I guess a rock or log was and overtime I noticed that rocks/logs/weeds were slowly creeping up and taking out my paths with them. I had to pretty much blindly swing my axe/pick behind the tree that was blocking my view to clear out the bits I couldn't even see properly which was probably why I missed them in the first place.

Siphonophorae likes this.
                                  • Siphonophorae

Siphonophorae Void-Bound Voyager

I too have never had random spawn destroy any of my paths with any material. Lightening on the other hand can kinda be a pain since one storm usually knocks out 4-5 random tiles around my farm, some of which I miss for a while and return to a tree sapling out of place on my orchard :/

Should add for the first winter (which I was also equally broke), it is better to save alllllll your fall harvest and just spend the season popping it into kegs and preserve jars. Then use mining+fishing to supplement your income.
                                    Having animals also helps get through the winter as they produce year-round, but it is hard to get them by the first winter (and probably not the best idea to do so anyways)

Foraging during the winter is also a pretty decent method of getting food (which I also found to be a bit limiting on my first winter because I had no crops to snack upon). Winter roots and yams are absolutely everywhere in hoe-able dirt outside your farm and it's pretty easy to get a bunch if you've upgraded your hoe.

taariya likes this.
                                    • Wurner

Wurner Void-Bound Voyager

When checking what you need for the community centre bundles, don't forget to check how many items you need to hand in to fulfill that bundle. For example, the quality crops bundle lists four different items but you only need to hand in three. Quite often you don't need all of the items belonging to a bundle in order to complete it and get your reward.

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Eat food for buff makes your farming and mining life much easier. Don't sell ALL of your food in the beginning and save some to make dishes...

Pepper Popper, Miner's Treat, Spicy Eel, and Root Platter are the only foods I ever need.

• SmaugBaggins

SmaugBaggins Existential Complex

Not sure if this one is listed but you dont have to go to the community center to check the bundles you can do it from your inventory screen

ChaosAzeroth likes this.