Modding Discussion The Whitelist Campfire

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Chandrak, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Chandrak

Chandrak Phantasmal Quasar

So far, theres no kind of server whitelist or caps on the number of people you could have on a server.

But there IS an amusing way to create a system that boots anyone who isnt authorized, by making use of the following things I've noticed about the game.

1. People without a mod that a server uses CAN log onto that server.
    2. BUT if they run into any files they need to have, and dont have them, it will crash their client. (Seen with custom races).
    3. Solution: Give everyone who is authorized a custom-tailored furniture piece (I'd suggest a campfire) to install.
    4. Place the campfire at the beam point of any planet or ship you don't want unauthorized people to be on.

Anyone want to whip up a campfire item for server owners that they can easilly customize (say, by changing the filename to something only they know?)

2. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That, uh, could be a two-edged sword. What happens if a person with a mod the server doesn't have logs in? And places that campfire at the beam point?

3. Chandrak

You can't, the server won't let you if you try and place something it doesnt have. It will crash YOU, in that case.

4. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Huh. Well, good on the server for making that distinction. I still think this is a dick move no matter which side it comes from though - deliberately crashing someone's client is never amusing. It's a hostile act. :/

5. prototypeBASILISK

prototypeBASILISK Void-Bound Voyager

This could be also avoided by folks paying attention to server logs, after all, it basically tells you how folks move about when it loads up planets, etc.
    Nothing stopping you going "OI, GIT OUT.", after all.

If you really didn't want unauthorized folks getting in, can't beat a good ol' password. Avoids having to micromanage them at all.

6. Chandrak

True, but my ways more fun to piss off the griefers :p Griefing is much more hostile.

7. Veav

Veav Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's besides the point, innit? A hostile act is a hostile act regardless of what other people are doing. There are plenty of polite, effective ways to run a whitelist.