The War and Stardew Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jagore, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Jagore

Jagore Big Damn Hero

Anyone else find Stardew Valley's lifestyle pretty relaxed for a village in a nation currently engaged in a brutal war where "thousands of soldiers" are being cut down every day?

It has luxury items, the town is filled with military age guys living in their parent's house doing nothing, there is tons of food, no rationing, no draft, no Republic military presence at all. Yet the backstory seems to indicate they are at war with the world's version of Imperial Japan, the Gotoro Empire.

• Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

It's all a dream. We're all plugged in to a virtual reality utopia machine like in Fallout 3. Trust no one. Follow the white rabbit. There is no spoon.

• Indigo Rose

Indigo Rose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Of course there's a spoon. You can get it as a treasure while fishing.
        [​IMG]
        See. Clearly your theory is incorrect.
        /Science

ladymurasaki likes this.
        • Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

You're definitely not alone. I also found it a little odd.

I take into account Demetrius highlighting the fact that the valley is "insulated from the rest of the world," but it seems a bit too insulated.

That may also be just an exaggeration? Since it's just hearsay. There's certainly a war and people are certainly falling, but as well know, people love to make things bigger than they really are.

Another reason may be that Ferngill Republic is really big. The "Empire" in Gotoro Empire implies it's big but a "Republic" doesn't really imply size, so I don't really know, it could also be really big.

OR this could be one of those smalltown goodguys vs big bad guys thing we're even if it's against all odds, the good will win, etc etc.

I am personally VERY interested in the war. Hopefully, it will be taking a bigger role in Stardew Valley, perhaps via a mod or an official addition.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
            vanella likes this.
          • Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

That's what they want you to believe!!!

• Maiden's Tear

Maiden's Tear Pangalactic Porcupine

The only time there is no spoon is when there is a spork! or when you need to cheat in warcraft 3 for unlimited mana :p

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

Wait, there is another war in the game, beside the Elemental War?

Now I am curious, what are you people talking about?

• Deleth

Deleth Space Penguin Leader

Not necessarily. While thousands of soldiers being cut down sounds grisly, it ignores that in past conflicts this was the quite often the norm even if your side was winning. The war appears to not be fought on Ferngill Republic territory implying that even if they're not winning they're not losing either (if it is fought on Gotoro Empire territory it's actually hinting at Ferngill winning). Modern conflicts also don't see rationing anymore unless the enemy can get at your means of production, which doesn't appear to be the case for the Gotoro Empire. Heck we're overproducing big time in most Western countries and due to automatization and such we need fewer and fewer workers.

A draft isn't always necessary either, especially if you have large enough a standing army to meet your enemy especially if said enemy is losing. Recent conflicts even long lasting ones with fairly high losses have often times not seen a draft, as drafted soldiers are nowhere near on par with trained career professionals. They've lost a lot of value all around and can usually just be used as footsoldiers anyway.

Ferngill Republic is at war with the Gotoro Empire, Kent was a PoW before he returned.

• Wasselin

Wasselin Pangalactic Porcupine

No I don't really find that odd at all. What's more odd is that a town of 30 people is able to exist at all.

• BenTEP

BenTEP Intergalactic Tourist

I researched this topic as soon as I talked to Sam who said something about how his father Kent was fighting the Gotoro Empire. I also happened to Google Translate that weird grave in the graveyard. The only results I got were from Croatian, from a country called Croatia. It said something like Unop Dunyuu Ltd., but everything else was still gibberish. I was researching Croatia, and noticed they speak many languages. I Google Translated in those languages, and here is what I found:

Croatian: Gotori ( A Japanese last name, some were kept in relocation camps during WWII; Source: http://www.japaneserelocation.org/index.php?page=directory&ln=Gotori)
                      Czech: Gotor (A small town in Spain; Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotor)
                      Serbian: Gotori (Same as Croation)
                      Slovak: Gotor (Same as Czech)

However, about 96% of people in Croatia speak Croatian (which is usually Serbo-Croatian), while most of the rest speak Serbian. Those translations both support the last name Gotori translation, which supports the theory of the Gotoro Empire having a Japanese culture.

• VermillionSoul

VermillionSoul Space Hobo

Are you from a rural state? 30 is actually a decent population for a farming village. :) We have towns here that have populations in the single digits.

• nash579

nash579 Astral Cartographer

Do you mean the dwarvish tombstone?

• Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Void-Bound Voyager

• GreenWombat

GreenWombat Cosmic Narwhal

None of that is really that odd. It's not uncommon for areas far removed from the battlefield to not see any real effect from a war. The draft is an entirely dependent thing and some countries just don't do it, military presence wouldn't be used on an out of the way towns that have no strategic value or point in the war, rationing is again a somewhat dependent thing as it is only a thing that comes up when needed but not in other times.

War simply isn't necessarily the grand overwhelming thing people often think it is, at least not outside of the actual area that the war is taking place in. Sure if the war is happening in your city or relatively close to you but if the fighting is on the other side of the world then fairly little actual impact is normally felt by the people in the involved countries. The war in Afghanistan for example, I live in the U.S. and we were involved in that war for over a decade yet outside of what was said on the news life was absolutely normal. No draft, no rationing, no real visible military presence. The only real sign of war that could be seen was what was said on the news.

Edit: oops and just realized this thread was from back in march :p

• BenTEP

BenTEP Intergalactic Tourist

Wow... I haven't met the dwarf yet, but that probably invalidates my research, although it makes sense. :cry:
                              However, I wish I could read the bookshelf in the library that had books about the Gotoro Empire and the Stardew Valley history. That would be nice.
                              Thank you anyway for providing me with this imformation.

• Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Void-Bound Voyager

it's easy enough to read the lost books, at least.

And not a problem.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Well, the frontlines are seemingly in the Gotoro Empire, i.e. enemy territory so the Ferngill Republic seems to be on the winning side, despite heavy losses. Germany currently has soldiers deployed in Mali; Afghanistan, Iraq and a bunch of other countries, and things are pretty chill here. It's when your village is within artillery range is when things get heated.

• tiki308

tiki308 Poptop Tamer

Did anyone consider that it's weird to be able to sell everything you make/grow for consistant prices and the market never gets flooded. Demand being so high could be due to that very war and a justifcation to why we can farm and thus sell products unlimitedly.

• Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

I think that's more of a case of simplifying gameplay. Which, by the way, isn't bad in my book, but that's just my opinion.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I think it’s more likely that the Ferngill Economy is inflated due to the war. If prices on a bottle of beer are 400g then 100g is about $1.