The Underground

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by A.N.T.I., Dec 23, 2014.

1. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Have you felt it? That encroaching, unfeeling, all-consuming monster that takes us when we least expect it? I like to refer to it as... Silence.

When I was adventuring in the worlds of Starbound I've noticed that all planets have had that same utter feeling underground. It's like something... eerie... is lurking near you, but it isn't the monsters that you see when you shine your light; it's something far more ominous. An entity you just can't explain, but you feel is watching you. Yet, every time you look around to make sure it's nothing; it really IS nothing. That's not only immersion breaking, but disappointing. So, I propose a new way for the underground to work, and I guess the closest thing I could come to calling it is random events.

Imagine you're collecting some random fuel on a moon when you hear a sound coming from the right side of the cave; you investigate it only to find A GROUP OF EVIL MANTIS PEOPLE! You easily take them down using your advanced weaponry BUT ALL OF THE SUDDEN A GIANT MAN-EATING DEATH WORM APPEARS; It's boss time!

This is just one of few scenarios, but don't worry there's more. You're digging, and you fall into a pool of... poison? You can't really tell what it is, only that it's white and it hurts like hell to be in, so you get out. You see the ceiling is covered eggs which occasionally drop the poison; not only this, but the poison fills the room in a gas. You can either choose to get out of the room and ignore it entirely, or you can collect some of the eggs. You choose the latter. The mother that laid the eggs is not appreciative. The mother happens to be a boss as well... (Not sure what it would actually be but these are just IDEAS not really actual starbound events)

These random occurrences wouldn't just be bosses either. You find a room with a couple of Avian's; one of them is injured! They give you a mission to go and kill some of the (insert mob name here) to get an antitoxin. You do it, bada bing bada boom, you get a cool gun.
    Now let's say you're walking in a neat little, but for some reason the room is shaking a bit. The reason? Well, it could be a plethora of reasons...
    A ) Earthquakes due the moon/tectonic plates/king of the world angered at your prescence and causing earthquakes!
    B ) Monsters digging into the room and then shooting up- theoretically scaring the crap out of you.
    C ) I couldn't think of a C BUT AGAIN THESE ARE JUST IDEAS.
    Whatever.

Once again, it could expand even past this! Maybe there's a poor group of hungry little rabbit-looking creatures... You could decide to either feed them one of your foods you have in your inventory, or you could mercilessly slaughter them like the huge jerkface you are. Your choice!
    These are all just hypotheticals. Nothing here is set in stone... Hehe, stone. Because it's underground... get it? Guys? GUYS? D:

This expands to all environments. Mushroom themed areas could have mushroom themed events, and flesh could have fleshy type things, etc. My main point is that underground areas need to have more going on; whether it be scary, exciting, or rewarding is up to the developers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Treadlight likes this.
  2. LeSir

LeSir Void-Bound Voyager

^this
    I support your idea(s). Hope something like this gets add to the game