The Thread of Randomness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Jul 20, 2017.

1. One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Starting to think the game is programmed for bad luck on days 5 to 8. Literally can't remember the last time I had a star or pyramid luck day while getting down to floor 80

• Elenna101

Elenna101 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Did not know weeds could grow there. Huh.
      upload_2019-6-17_18-29-4.png

• Jack Of Shades

Jack Of Shades Pangalactic Porcupine

Weeds are invasive and unstoppable. Beware. :lod:

pepoluan likes this.
        • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I'm sure others have found this out too, apparently you can fish up secret notes. After getting the sewer unlocked I was trying to get the mutant carp and wound up getting secret note 2. This brings several amusing questions, like how did that wind up in the sewer (did Sam drop it by there?) and why was the note still readable, wouldn't it have been illegible?

Also found it quite funny that I gifted the wizard a void essence and the next day she says "I want to study a void essence" (I turned the wiz female), what did you do with the one I gave you yesterday, wiz? Um...maybe I don't wanna know...

• Elenna101

upload_2019-8-15_1-58-0.png upload_2019-8-15_1-56-29.png upload_2019-8-15_1-59-9.png
            Uh... puppy? Are you okay?

• Elenna101

Apparently if I ride my horse straight up just to the left of the fence, until I'm stopped by the shed, and then turn right, I can pass through the fence? Fascinating.

upload_2019-10-4_22-0-15.png

EDIT: nevermind, has nothing to do with the shed, horses and fences just act weird. If you ride up or down beside a fence, and then suddenly turn left/right, you can go through it. In retrospect I think I've seen this on the wiki somewhere?

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

"When riding a horse near a Wood Fence you gain the ability to pass through the fence. Simply ride the horse vertically along a line of fences, then turn 90° and ride through the fence. This also works with some other fences. "

https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Animals#Horse

Under 'bugs' section.

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

Yesterday the game helpfully suggested that I name my newborn son Natsi. (We decided to go with Jack instead...)

guitardude_324 likes this.
                  • guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

That's funny, one of my cows just gave birth and the first random name to pop up was "Trash".

• guitardude_324

guitardude_324 Big Damn Hero

So... had a little fun with mods to try out some different playthroughs with new parameters. I did four:

1. Start with sprinklers: Good news, my grandpa left me some iridium sprinklers. I didn't have to water every day, so it saved me a bit of energy most days. Every day I laid down a new sprinkler took a lot of energy though. 24 spots to till and water can take its toll on you. The rest of the day was for foraging. I got to spend a lot more time in the mines, more time foraging and fishing. But still had to be careful about balancing energy and time. Plus supplies saved on sprinklers (iron, gold, etc.) were put straight into the tool upgrades and artisan machines. I obviously levelled up quicker than normal.

2. Best tools/gear available. I started day one by spawning all iridium tools, galaxy sword and boots, and gave myself 12,000g to buy the largest backpack on day 1. Had fun playing this way. Watering and tilling manually was a breeze, took no time at all and not too much energy. Advanced through the mines very quickly with the best pickaxe and sword. The only hangup is you’re progress is gated by having to wait to learn recipes for the money making machines (kegs and jars)

3. Super Hero build. Every stat is maxed out, I always have speed +2 and ALMOST EVERY perk was activated (The CJB Cheat mod allows this). I also had the Bear Knowledge, Spring Onion Mastery, and Lucky Charm traits (extra luck like Domino in Deadpool 2). I chose to leave Mariner off because I like catching garbage in my crab pots, especially if I used the automate mod. This helps a lot for energy and money, but not so much with time. Every activity (except fishing) used half the amount of energy. So I was able to water, till, break stone and wood a lot more, but time is still your enemy. You can make a decent chunk on day one off of wood (wood worth 50% more perk) by selling it to Robin and using that money to buy even more seeds on day one. Every foraging item is double the value so that is huge. But the salmon berries mid spring give you a huge supply of energy that lasted me until the end of fall.

4. New Game+. I started with max skills, all perks, the automate mod AND all the best tools/weapons… I became a millionaire in the 2nd week of summer. I had taps on trees on spring day 6. I had several kegs and bee boxes to by the next week or shortly after. Chickens and Cows were producing a couple thousand per day the 2nd or 3rd week of spring. Currently I’m in the 2nd week of fall, I’ve made 3.5 million and have 800,000g in my wallet. I could have had the community center done day fall day 10 if it wasn’t for the red cabbage (no luck checking the cart every Friday & Sunday.) My farm is essentially in the endgame right now. I have a vineyard east of the big pond (standard map) that has space for 220-ish trellis crops. I have sprinklers to accommodate 640 crops just south of the house on the east side. 250 bee boxes currently being influenced by 40 fairy roses (238,000G every 3 days). A full barn and coop with all the animals. 120, kegs in a deluxe barn, a repaired greenhouse cultivating ancient fruit, 10 crab pots on the small pond that are automated with the recycling machine, kilns and furnaces. I also have 18 oaks, 18 maples tapped on my farm, and maybe 20-25 of each in the forest where the spring onions grow. (if you till the dirt, you can plant extra trees down there and tap them.) Now all I have to do is wait on Robin to finish my cellar upgrade and my shed to accommodate my 50 preserve jars. Then some final decorating and the farm will be done before spring. Also, I'm pretty sure I reached 120 in the mines in the 3rd week of spring.

Whelp, that was a lot of fun replaying the games with all these changing variables. I think I’ll try one more playthrough starting the game as a millionaire but with none of the other advantages I mentioned above. We’ll see how that goes. I’ll probably be buying a lot of wood, stone, ores, and food. I’ll still be gated by the gradual crafting recipes that will not allow me to keg the fruit right away.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
                      • Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

I have a lot of slimes hatched in town, as one does. These slimes are a little slow on the uptake, as they'll often greet people who aren't there or get confused about time of day. I had one wish me good morning and one wish me good evening at the same time. It was 1PM. Anyway, now when I search trash cans, even if there are no villagers anywhere around, the slimes will start yelling at me to "Stop that! That's disgusting." Not only are these slimes idiots, but they're also very judgmental!

musical74 likes this.
                        • Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

Welcome to the world, son.

[​IMG]

Oh dear... Next morning. What are you trying to say, Leah? For some reason I don't think staying too much indoors will be an issue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
                          • WilliamZ

WilliamZ Phantasmal Quasar

LMAO!!!! :lickitung:
                            I passed out today using the warp back to my farm during the night market, I wasn't carrying the axe with me...
                            [​IMG]

Anhaga likes this.
                            • pepoluan

pepoluan Big Damn Hero

I headcanon this as the horse picking up speed then jumping over a low wooden fence a la equestrian sports ;-)

• [Kane]

[Kane] Void-Bound Voyager

Oof, I've almost been there. I once fenced my self in while setting up a coop, and I didn't have my axe on me. Pickaxe doesn't work for fences either, lol.

WilliamZ likes this.
                                • Elenna101

I just completed the museum in winter of year 1. :)

Granted, that's with a good deal of help from the Stardew Predictor website to get the last 8 artifacts and the last 9 geodes, but still, pretty cool that it's even possible now.

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

I nearly did that too. Before placing the last fence post I checked if the pickaxe could remove them, saw it couldn't, and quickly put a gate in.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Breaking a bone in my wrist on my dominant hand SUCKS, so many things that are second nature are now really hard...

In relation to Stardew Valley, Harvey whines a fair amount about not enough business. Wonder how he'd react if someone (Shane was the first person that came to mind) broke an arm and required several visits? Do you think he's happier that it's slow, or he'd be happier that it's busy?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
                                        Dark_Yehn likes this.
                                      • musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Three weeks...guess I can post a new thread.

Starting a new game, find out there's been some new tweaking of old things (or I'm just not aware!) and something interesting! When you drink the potion from the wizard to see what the junimos are saying, it now gives you some stamina - or did it always so that and I just haven't paid attention? The interesting thing was I got 10 rice shoots as a fishing treasure, in addition to a geode and a gem. I was thinking "that's bizarre..." but not complaining about it!

• Dark_Yehn

Dark_Yehn Void-Bound Voyager

Click.
                                          and no I don’t think it is too old fashioned, Tobermory is great name, I trust you’ll enjoy the company as long he chooses to stay there at Pumpkin Acres. Congratulations on the tickets for you and another, donated by the Wilsonoff Community Cinema. This week you have a choice of Die Already 4, Bitch in the Trunk, They came with Tweezers and Cybernetic Goatherders. I’ve heard good things about that last one. Stay on the line and we’ll get all your details and arrange the tickets. Got calories to burn or feeling generous with your Joules, enjoy the gym and laundry while you stream or build your charge for the next screenings with the attached community hub. A reminder now for the listeners with the condensed review in sixty seconds, the full show only available locally on demand at the Wilsonoff Community Cinema. Die Already 4. Again, we see.
                                          Click.

Thanks Harvey, enjoy the flask, bottom 's up.